Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:04:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeon Tail - An Open World Skating Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Neon Tail - An Open World Skating Game  (Read 16023 times)
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »

NEON TAIL

Steam Early Access : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1126270/Neon_Tail/?utm_source=tigforum
                                                                          Discord : https://discord.gg/hbsm39M
                                                                          Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/rocketjuicegames

Demo gif updated Aug 2019

Early Access Trailer

Latest Devlog Video

Neon Tail  is an open world roller skating game where you follow a young girl’s adventures and save the streets of Bluepulse City from a dimensional disaster.

She will meet many colorful characters and explore many fantastic locations of the city, from its various districts (shopping, business, residential etc) to its subways and sewers, to the unknown planes of existence.You play as a rising SFS Pro star, who acquired mysterious powers from a powerful being.You can take small jobs, go shopping, relax in restaurants and cafes, chill with other NPCs, and earn fame and fortune by becoming a Skate for Street Pro star player!

The new roller skating physics controls are both intuitive and fun to play with, and we're planning on filling the world of Neon Tail with interesting people, all befriendable.

Visit Drone shops to upgrade or install extensible modules on your camera drone Modulo, Scanners, Maps, Hud, Photographs, Flashlights, Codex, etc...

On your adventures, you will meet Telopern, an extra dimensional godlike creature. He will give you strange powers that you will need learn to live with. Use your agility, dexterity, wits, reputation, friendships, and powers to save your city from a dimensional disaster!

Core concept #1 : Explore and interact with the city

Core concept #2 : Roller Skating Physics

Core concept #3 : Adventures

Important feature : Camera Drone customisation

Other important feature : Learn to use your mysterious powers

Story plot in short : Save your city!

Links
                                                                                         Facebook: NeonTail FB
                                                                                            Twitter: @rocketjuicegame
                                                                                           Website: Neon Tail
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 09:06:28 AM by RocketJuice » Logged

dyarosla
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:21:32 AM »

This. looks. so. COOL!!

Love it. Looking forward to what it becomes.

Reminds me a lot of the old flash animation Metropolis Circuit (https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/399107)
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »

Thanks for your link, It's cool!
We'll update the progress every week Smiley

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:22:27 AM »

Neon Tail charaters

Switch (The main character of the game)

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 01:14:55 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 01

A lot of things are happening lately. I’ve laid down several courses for the project to take depending on our situation.
But beside preparing documents, plannings and other stuff indirectly related to the game content, I improved several basic control details, actually changing a lot to the playing feels.

The grinding control, feels and orientation.
The jumping has a smart animation selection, avoiding flips when detecting walls.
Added slight aerial control, making a tremendous difference in combo difficulty.
Wallrides are now separated into 2 states : classic wallride, with gravity pull and no control over direction and Boosting wallride.
Added a mockup of the residential area, preparing a whole new environment workflow as given the size of the levels, the usual way won’t make it. (back to the ugly checker environment for now, but we’re working on it!)
As usual, lots of miscellaneous bugs fixed. See you next week! Smiley

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:23:36 AM »

Looks really nice, I always wanted to play more of those skate'n'slide games. But Zineth and that Hover game disappointed me quite a bit, and I've only played Jet Set Radio in an emulator... The idea to skate, fly, jump through virtual city still fascinates me quite a bit though. The problem is the actual slide, steer and jump mechanics, i think. Some of the newer Sonic nailed them, by making it easy (too easy?) to to switch rails by some quick-time type interface, and some magnetic homing action (combo moves would be possible by chaining tricks...) - If those skate mechanics can be tuned to work smoothly, and if the levels come with lots of options to make tricks and slide through them, I would love this genre... - Normal skating and racing games, and also parkour style games like Mirror's Edge, show that it is possibile... It already looks very promising in your demo video BTW. I think it's crucial, to make the graphics read well, to make it easy to see all the possible moves in every situations. Like in mirror's edge: really highlight the "interactive areas"... /just some thoughts

Good luck with your project! By the way, what kind of music do you put into this game?

Thanks! I agree with what you said, I've spent a lot of time tweaking the physics, the animations, and the input response for this one, I feel quite satisfied with what I've got for now, but I need to nail the level design to make it a smooth experience for the player's learning curve. It's not easy to master but it feels awesome once it is, so this might prove to be quite a challenge.
About the music I have something a bit electronica / pop with a spice of crazy in mind. I will make some further researches once more environment is available.

Binsou
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 07:38:45 AM »

I think the aesthetic looks great!  Seems like the camera got a bit wonky once you were going up and down on that wall later in one of the videos.  Gonna be really cool to see the progression of this.  When a game has good movement options for getting around the world, it's an instant boost to my love of it.

Programmer that made a GameBoy game and a C++ platformer and is now working on a followup platformer.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »

The neon pinks make my jaw drop

Ivan Khmel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »

This looks rad. How long have you been developing this for?

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 07:06:30 PM »

I think the aesthetic looks great!  Seems like the camera got a bit wonky once you were going up and down on that wall later in one of the videos.  Gonna be really cool to see the progression of this.  When a game has good movement options for getting around the world, it's an instant boost to my love of it.

Thanks! Yes I'm aware of the camera wonkness, but that's me trying to fix a 3D animation decision through coding. I didn't thought about it much until I got there, but I know how to fix it now. Basically my wallrunning animations are done as if the ground was the wall, forcing me to rotate 90 degrees in the code. Theoretically this wouldn't be even noticeable if the camera wasn't lagging behind. Will be fixed soon!  Smiley

This looks rad. How long have you been developing this for?

It's been around 6 months now. 3 people full time on it.  Shrug

Yes that shows! Can't imagine how much tweaking it required to make the geometry work so well together with the animation My Word!... Something that came to mind is one of the newer SSX games for the Xbox 360 i've played a while back, the trick chaining system there was quite fun, flow-inducing, quite easy to learn, and the rails/sliding mechanics worked fluently together with other types of moves too... It's a different type of gameplay though, when the game always forces the player downhill. It gives the level designer more control over the possible "sequences of moves" and the difficulty in every area of the level, but enables less free form action...

Haha SSX was really fun, and yes you're right about that. Open world means you can go anywhere, means you can't predict where the player will go, means you can't focus on one or few paths and design it with the exact knowledge of where the player is trying to go in mind.
On the other hand that's what makes open world fun! And although way harder, design a few possible paths at least is not an impossible task neither. We'll just give a few mockup a try then whip it up through testing over time. Wink

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:08:02 PM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 02

I've been poking around level design ideas in the residence area and been figuring out how a giant spill of coffee can serve as a grindable rail from many angles.
Other than that :
- Set up and testing new environment and props workflow.
- Refined mockup, reorganize, updated or modeled environment and props.
- Created a bunch of tilable normal maps.
- Grinding now zooms out on player's left stick input.
- Head follows camera all the time, instead of following only at low speed and looking forward at high speed

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:14:34 PM by RocketJuice » Logged

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 03:37:50 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 03

Hi there! It's been a while since my last #screenshotsaturday !
I've been busy writing the game's designs, designing workflows, testings, modeling props, adding small animations, writing editor tools, and tweaking small changes to the wallriding code.
I'm slowly replacing the mockup geometries with occlusion cullable props.
Previously for the prototype, the environment meshes were huge, so no occlusion culling, and we had big pixel ratio problems. It wasn't optimised at all but I knew it, we were simply rushing for a presentation.
Now with the LOD and the occlusion culling and a workflow written down, these should allow us way more details and flexibility as we slowly build up our props library.
Hopefully I will be able to put up tons of NPCs, destructible objects, fun things etc...
The environment is completely a work in progress, as well as everything actually, but I believe the foundation of everything is ready for the executive work, so it's getting there, one small step at a time.
Have a nice week end!

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 03:57:35 AM »

I love the sfx, especially the direction arrow!

What engine are you using?
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 05:02:14 AM »

I love the sfx, especially the direction arrow!

What engine are you using?

We use Unity!

Germain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 06:54:25 AM »

Nice! That reminds me one of my childhood tv cartoon:

Sorry for my broken english :3
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »

Nice! That reminds me one of my childhood tv cartoon:

I've never seen the cartoon, that it is interesting. Let's skating in the city!! Coffee

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 04

Hi, this week's devlog shows some progress over the props, slowly but steadily appearing in the environment. Still a long way to go, but I'm on it.
The lighting needs some attention too, I'll get at it when all the props are created and placed.
Falling from the glass building's slope sprung me out super far, I wasn't expecting that... I'll have to take a look at what happened there when I have the time.
Anyway, one thing at a time, too many things to do, not enough time, I'll see you next week! Smiley

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »

One of my favorite parts about both

and

were their soundtracks. I'm surprised both videos didn't have any audio. I would throw some of that electronica pop in their to give the game more ambiance/atmosphere. Games looking cool, can't wait to see the level development!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 08:38:40 AM »

One of my favorite parts about both

and

were their soundtracks. I'm surprised both videos didn't have any audio. I would throw some of that electronica pop in their to give the game more ambiance/atmosphere. Games looking cool, can't wait to see the level development!

These two games are awesome!
We are working on environment now, and we'll have music and audio in the video.
(style may like this part of track?)
(maybe style like this part of track)
Thank you for your interest in Neon Tail:)

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 07:20:00 AM »

Station

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic