Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:18:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNeon Tail - An Open World Skating Game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Neon Tail - An Open World Skating Game  (Read 15460 times)
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 02:23:50 AM »

NeonTail_DevLog05

Well, I did some props. I'm taking a little time to try out design ideas on props.
I'd like to add the ability to place the character on either side of the screen for the selfies, will do that later.
I should probably move on to character modeling and animation, there's a lot to do and doing one thing for too long is dangerous for my schedule. I don't want to get entangled in design too long even if I'm not satisfied, since anything can be tweaked forever without improvement, and that will make me come back with fresher eyes.
See you next update! Smiley

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 06:44:44 AM »

The environment looks appropriately neon and happy.

My fav is the green bus-stop things that look like they have a smiling face on their lower part.
Biijii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 07:47:18 AM »

Yo this looks cool. I'm getting A Spider-Man for PS2 kind of vibe with the unique way to travel around an open world. I like the sense of scale and variety of the architecture and props so far!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 06:08:38 AM »

The environment looks appropriately neon and happy.

My fav is the green bus-stop things that look like they have a smiling face on their lower part.

HAHA, We'll continue to  produce more objects like these objects
Thank you Smiley

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 06:12:30 AM »

Yo this looks cool. I'm getting A Spider-Man for PS2 kind of vibe with the unique way to travel around an open world. I like the sense of scale and variety of the architecture and props so far!

Thank you!! Beer!
let's work hard together

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 08:13:01 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 06

This week's #screenshotsaturday is just me skating around to show a couple of new props I did, such as the Doggoshop, a small empty booth, where I can sell smaller props, either fruits, magazines, toys, anything actually.
I also did more level design friendly stairs grounds and ramps.
Ah I also did cool giant speakers and animated them so they bounces to the beat, but I didn't have time to implement them in the game yet, so that's gonna be for next week.
See you next update! Smiley

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 07

Hi, my computer broke so I couldn't work for a while, but I'm back on track with this #screenshotsaturday !
I'm sorry the videos all look kind of sameish, but at least the progresses are clearly visible, however small they are.
Right now we're just creating more props, there's a huge amount of work to do, and a lot of visual decisions to think about.
I'll try to work more on the different grounds transitions, and create more of them. I found a bunch of bugs to fix to with the wallriding (again).
This is going to be a busy month.
Have a nice week end!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 11:51:52 PM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 08

Hi, this week  I've created a hologram menu, and made it so the character would follow the screens as it rotates around.
I've updated both the anatomy and the clothes of the guy to match more with the girl.
I've added a small slide park with frogs, with a big statue with a grindable tongue, but the climbing design sucks as the bar to get up there aren't conveniently placed.
I've also started modeling another character, will try to finish him for next week. Smiley
Anyway, have a nice week end!

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 05:02:14 AM »

The hologram menu is great and the frog with the tongue is cool!
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 11:11:43 PM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 09

I got 2 new characters, one is made from another character base and the other a remodeling of style. I'd like to add a big flashy plastic belt to the new girl but I keep on wanting stuff and time is rolling, so I'll see that later.
Other than that invisible bugs fixed, again on wallruns and on landing. Unsurprisingly, new bugs appeared, like when landing the turning animation blend is wrong.
There's also that other animation transition bug from skating to idle that you can see in this video. I'll try to fix those quickly.
Anyway my characters are a bit all samish because I lazily used the same bases to save time, so next week I'll try to model an NPC that will have its own unique look.
A kid, a fat bearded dude, or an old groovy grandma maybe? :D

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »

The hologram menu is great and the frog with the tongue is cool!

Thank you!!! Coffee

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 10

Hi, this week is just 2 new characters. I added a groovy grandma, still wondering what to put on her T-Shirt, maybe a hippie color pattern or some fictional rock rap or metal band. She will be a shopkeeper, although I leave open the possibility to play with her as a character. Leaving that for later.
I did "extracted" a shirtless dude from the work I did on the other male model, as it didn't take much time. That actually means I duplicated it and quick tweaked it, that lacks design work, but I don't think it's that bad, I'll just need more different characters in the future and I really gotta move on now.
See you next update!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 10:33:28 PM »

Hi, this week's screenshotsaturday is a sort of concept art that can be used as poster, cover, or presentation visual.
In short I've just been drawing for the last 3 weeks, this isn't my main thing and I learned too late some techniques I could try and experiment to shorten the production time for my future drawings. Drawing everything in clean line then painting over in crazy resolution wasn't that smart of me but meh it's something  Outraged.
If some of you artists have general tips or critiques I would be happy to hear them, I will take note for later, but I have to move on for now as my schedule is pressing me on.
Have a nice week end!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 10:59:45 PM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 11
This week on #screenshotsaturday I finally started working on the gameplay, hitting those energy spheres to gather as much points as possible before shooting them all in a goal.
The winner is the one who shoots the most points in the goal. There are bigger versions of these spheres, that contains more points, that have their own bigger animations, and are climbable.
This week I've just created some sphere hitting animations and started coding the implementation. Tons of bugs for now, but it's kind of functional.
The update to Unity 2018 broke my UI, as well as the hair physics, but also revealed why I struggled so much with it.
By default Unity can have good physics handling with thing that have bigger scales, like planes tanks and car.
The ponytail is too small for the physics to work except if I made my character as big as Godzilla. I did tests, it's kind of funny as she looks gigantic.
Only 2 solutions : Either scale up EVERYTHING so that my ponytail is as big as a bridge, or code my own physics.
I'll do that later as either way it's quite a big amount of work.
That's it for this week, have a nice week end!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:26:35 AM by RocketJuice » Logged

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 04:49:42 AM »

Looks like that Unity upgrade made your UI display behind the level's assets? That's weird...
RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 07:19:38 PM »

yes, we just shift to latest version(2018.2.1f1) this month, and we'll fix this issue. Thank you!

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:45 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 12

This week's #screenshotsaturday I did a lot of small fixes.
- Fixed many bugs tied to the slapping of green spheres. The code behind it was a bit sloppy, now it is quite solid. Mainly been about a satisfying input feel, allowing the transition anywhere between the start of an attack to a little while after its ending, while keeping a smooth transition.
- Created a very primitive physics for the ponytail, it's missing the usage of mass and I'm hacking some fake gravity in it for now as time flies and I really need to move on. It will do for now, will come back at it later.
- Created a mockup level for a demo build, as the people who will play it will have never played the game, and as previous tests showed, people would mainly hit walls for 10 minutes, not knowing where to go this level is designed to be less opened to choices, with one large road to test the movement, introducing this dynamic city with many pedestrians and fantasy sci fi, including some basic skating, grinding and introducing the sphere slapping game at the end : hitting the spheres to gather points then unleash it all at the goal at the end of the wall, scoring enough before the timer goes out. Some AI and traps will try to stop you.
To do :
- Air attacks, backward combo and goal shooting animations and implementation.
- Big spheres are special, they hold more points, and I'll have to think of a cool animation where you end up standing on top of it, on the metallic circles around it, from where you can jump again. They can be used as platforms to access higher locations.

RocketJuice
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 06:21:59 AM »

Neon Tail - Devlog 13

Hi, this week's #screenshotsaturday got me working quite hard :
- Added and implemented sphere slapping animation backward and aerial, as well as big sphere's jump and stand on it loop.
- Worked on this demo level a bit more with the materials and spheres placements, the grinding rail setting took me forever, and the collisions are mostly done, but still WIP.
- Fixed many invisible bugs.

Things are slowly coming together for this level. Still a lot to do, pedestrians, destructible objects, NPCs, Game Rules, points and timer, goal animations, pedestrian interactions, pedestrian animations, etc...
Made this video quite in a rush, but it's still saturday so it's all good.
See you next week! Grin

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »

The sequence at roughly 1:41 is awesome!

What does sphere slapping do? I'm not seeing any changes to the lightning-meter at the top nor the bottom one (BTW great to see the UI working again)
filbs111
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 07:45:01 PM »

This looks fab.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic