Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:58:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLooking for feedback on mobile companion app to a virtual world!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for feedback on mobile companion app to a virtual world!  (Read 595 times)
bigalligator
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

Helloooo TIG!

I’m looking for some feedback on a mobile application we are developing at High Fidelity (www.highfidelity.com). Our application allows people to explore worlds, create content, and interact with other users in VR or desktop. (The mobile app is still a very new development for us.)

Here are some wireframes from the application:

And a screencast of a mockup of the application:
http://hifi-content.s3.amazonaws.com/alexia/AndroidMedia/MobileUImockup.mp4

We currently have the following features we’re developing in the mobile app:

Navigate in an online, 3D virtual world
Interact (talk, view) other users
Explore various places

We have some other features in mind for connecting with other users, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on what is valuable to you.

You’re welcome to give any feedback. But if you’d prefer a little more detail, I’d love your answers to these questions:

What features might you see valuable in a mobile companion application to an online 3D virtual world?
Do you see this as a regular way to explore spaces your friends created, and/or catch up with friends?
What are some additional things you'd like to try in these types of spaces?
On what occasions would you see yourself using this?
How would you share this with other people?
What could you see yourself doing with your friends who are online in the mobile application?

Thanks for your help!

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 03:15:22 AM »

What features might you see valuable in a mobile companion application to an online 3D virtual world?
None. People are already alienated from their surroundings without further help.
Do you see this as a regular way to explore spaces your friends created, and/or catch up with friends?
Nope.
What are some additional things you'd like to try in these types of spaces?
None my mind can remember to further the downfall of humankind. No yet, at least.
On what occasions would you see yourself using this?
None.
How would you share this with other people?
I wouldn't.
What could you see yourself doing with your friends who are online in the mobile application?
nothing.

Is this supposed to be a Second Life kind of thing? Or a social network with avatars kind of thing? Or an open-world social network kind of thing?

Please stop.

Make it a game already. Enough with social networking bullcrap. We don't need more of that trash.

Yeah.
bigalligator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 10:26:27 AM »

Thank you for your reply, but it was not very constructive.

It would be more constructive if you elaborated on why it should be made into a game, or why you believe we don't need more of the social networking, open-world, avatar "bullcrap."

Please give me actual feedback so I can make it more suited to what people want.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:41:01 AM »

I'd probably gove the same answers as eyeliner.

When people/companies are coming up with conceptual ideas or UX they often have something to trial. For example at a previous design company we'd run focus groups where we'd observe people interacting with potential versions of the same app to learn how they used it and what their feedback was. Maybe you could do that?

There are a lot of avatar social networking style solutions out there already that basically allow you to hang out in  a virtual world. There are plenty of games too, like second life or any MMO that provide this sort of functionality. Are you reaching out for people to give you ideas as to how yours should be different from them? I'm not sure anyone will have a definite answer for you.

Sorry for not being more helpful
bigalligator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:27 PM »

Thanks Tusky. We are doing focus groups and user testing locally like what you've suggested, but this is my attempt at getting a gamer's perspective and people who aren't local.

I'm not looking for an answer to make ours different.

My specific question was "What features might you see valuable in a mobile companion application to an online 3D virtual world?"
in an effort for people to reflect on games that they've played that have companion apps. Among the other questions I listed.

Don't doubt that I have my own opinions and designs for this, but I'm looking to get other people's input who:
1. Don't live near our company
2. Have played games that our design team hasn't
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 02:05:05 PM »

Fair enough.

Thing is:
Your solution seems to be a "gamified" social network. I mean, you havean avatar that roams around places, interacting with other avatars (either AI or user controled). You seem to describe this as a more serious hangout than other online conversation venues, which, by itself is ok.

But what is the point? You just go around messaging people, tell dick jokes, talk about the latest meme, show cat videos, what?

You seem to at least have created a virtual world to "explore". That's the basic to an online game. Add a dungeon and a party system and you are set.

If it is yet another Second Life clone... Why bother?

Yeah.
Samaras-Sama
Level 1

samy is my hero

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:13:27 PM »

eyeliner makes all good points and you should not ignore these Smiley

adding to that,

maybe make it vr?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:20:15 PM by Samaras-Sama » Logged

Devlog<br /><br />[/
bigalligator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »

Yes! This is the feedback I'm looking for. Thanks for following up on your initial post, I appreciate it.

So our main application allows VR, that's the modality we're focusing on.
eyeliner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:01:04 AM »

Glad to be of service. Good luck in this, as you seem to already have the skills needed to pull it off.

Yeah.
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 01:13:57 AM »

My specific question was "What features might you see valuable in a mobile companion application to an online 3D virtual world?"
in an effort for people to reflect on games that they've played that have companion apps.

So like mobile apps that go along with games? There are tons. Search on the play store for [INSERT GAME WITH VIRTUAL WORLD HERE]. Like minecraft for example. Put that in and you'll have a whole deluge of ideas for apps. Ringtones, guides, tips, seeds, skins, and god knows what else.

I'd consider that basic research a developer should undertake first though personally.

this is my attempt at getting a gamer's perspective and people who aren't local.
The first response you got concluded that you should make it a game. Is that what this is going to be?
bigalligator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »

So like mobile apps that go along with games? There are tons. Search on the play store for [INSERT GAME WITH VIRTUAL WORLD HERE]. Like minecraft for example. Put that in and you'll have a whole deluge of ideas for apps. Ringtones, guides, tips, seeds, skins, and god knows what else.

Great idea! I had done a bit of that with Minecraft, but it slipped my mind to look at other games/virtual worlds. Thanks.

I'd consider that basic research a developer should undertake first though personally.
I %100 percent agree.

As far as making it a game, I'm not the right person to comment on that - I'm just here for research. I've been reflecting on my experience with Destiny, WoW, and Minecraft and what made their companion apps valuable, although the first two I mentioned were in a browser. I was wondering what other people though. So here I am.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic