Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:58:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMaster Lander
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Master Lander  (Read 348 times)
panrac
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:34:55 AM »

Hi, we just published a Master Lander game on Itch.io, I'd be interested in TIG toughts.

Master Lander is a hard-to-beat 2D physics driven landing game with a centric gravity. You take on a role of remote lander pilot. Your task is to bring the lander from the orbit down to the surface of each of 27 different exoplanets. In order to achieve high score award you need to hover close to alien artifacts scattered on the planets before landing precisely in designated zone. By controlling the thrust of two rocket engines you need to adjust your velocity in order to descend from the orbit and land softly on the landing pad. Watch your fuel, altitude and attitude to land like a pro!

The motto is: In space no one can hear you swear.

check it out: https://a14games.itch.io/master-lander

We built in Unity 2d using vector graphic for sprites. For mechanics we took a basic concept of a lander game and added a centric gravity. Another thing we did differently I think is the way be balanced the gravity so that it makes a better use of the escape velocity. Usually in the games with centric gravity this velocity is so low, you don't even notice any difficulty with entering or exiting the orbit.

For the art style we tried to take inspiration from the Space Race era propaganda posters.

benpeterson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:57:56 PM »

The vector graphics and art direction are great!

I went back and tried the first level where you're supposed to bring the lander to the moon, and I didn't realize you were already on the moon, so I tried flying off into space and it just made me turn into a little star until I ran out of fuel.  bad start to the game for me, maybe try to make it more clear what to do in that first step, maybe draw a line or an arrow where you want them to land, so it's clear even if they don't read the text.  I then though the green or red dot was an alien artifact, so I tried landing on it, but then it made me restart, then I got the alien artifact but didn't land in the right zone, so it made me restart.  (Tutorial could use some work)

Game is really pretty and feels solid though, good work guys
panrac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to try it out and some nice words.

Good point about the tutorial, thanks for some specific suggestions there. That was one of the most time consuming and least satisfactory part for me to make.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic