Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:10:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425177 times)
bento_smile
« Reply #2180 on: July 06, 2010, 03:34:32 AM »

That's a pretty big 'if' though.  Sad As basically, I've seen shady people use other peoples/their own children as a way to gain sympathy and cash. Hence the cynicism. Sorry.  Sad
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2181 on: July 06, 2010, 03:42:03 AM »

No I totally understand, but if it wasn't for people using charities for tax purposes or to boost their own image, charities wouldn't be doing nearly as well.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2182 on: July 06, 2010, 04:05:01 AM »

Didn't the Chaosedge website pretty much prove that he had only sold two copies of Racers in a couple of months -- both of them to Chaosedge? Stating that you'll donate 10% of your profits to charity is pretty easy if you don't have any. It's like the attempted greenwashing of the BP brand; they can change their logo and name all they want, but they're still pouring 1000 of liters of oil into the sea every week, and as such rings really hollow.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2183 on: July 06, 2010, 04:10:12 AM »

I say if you want to donate to charity then donate to charity, but don't harp on about it and use it as a marketing/promotional ploy. It's almost like saying 'buy my games otherwise you are depriving these children of money.'. When in actual fact if I don't buy any of his games then I've got even more money to give directly to children's charities, and that way I can also be sure they get it too. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind something like donate to this charity and I'll send you a free copy of my game or similar schemes, but to use charity merely as a way to boost your own profits is a bit sickening. There are plenty of businesses that donate to charity 'after the fact' and don't feel the need to use it as a promotional tool.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2184 on: July 06, 2010, 04:28:58 AM »

Also -- and I don't intend to continue to rag on this -- but only donating 10% of your profits smells of "I really want the goodwill from donating to a charity, but I don't really want to give any of my money away". He can claim that he's only making a $5 profit on a $20 game and give $0.5 to charity out of a $20 sale.

Okay, I just tried to click on any of the games he has for sale and I get this error message:

"The resource requested /EDGEGAMES/cgi/display.cgi cannot be found."

So, his store doesn't even work!

This guy is such a joke and it would be really funny in a sad kind of way if he wasn't hurting actual developers with his actions.

Laserbrain Studios
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2185 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »

Is he affiliated with PS3's CrossEdge? Datel's (nonexistent) Edge controller for Wii?  Edge Magazine?  With his track record, can we really believe he's donating money to (unspecified) children's charities?

Until I see his tax records, or a receipt from the charity giving evidence of taking money from him, I will not believe the word of someone who has been proven to be a liar and a thief.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:34:19 PM by Μarkham » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 06, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »

I wouldn't believe it then either. They'd probably have been forged.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2187 on: July 08, 2010, 04:52:01 AM »

About CrossEdge for ps3. Langdell is lying there.
http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/attachments/sony-ps3/6558d1244318702-cross-edge-usa-r1-ps3-cover-disc-cross.edge.usa.ps3.scan-300dpi.jpg
Here's a large box scan...if you can find any mention of a licensing deal by Edge Games, I certainly couldn't...or maybe I wasn't looking at the photoshopped version Tim uses in court to demonstrate his trademark is still active on next-gen consoles.

Seriously, if it was a 12 year old claiming credit for something he obviously had no part in, I would shrug it off; but that's a grown man, using the courts to impede other developers who are only trying to make a living off their own labor. How can that be legal? Isn't he falsely representing his company's activities?
CraigGrannell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 11, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »

Is he affiliated with [...] Edge Magazine?
No, but that hasn't stopped him changing his 'company' logo to something absurdly similar to the magazine's. I can't imagine Future will keep quiet for much longer on this, and it'd certainly be interesting to see Langdell taking on the combined might of one of the world's biggest games companies *and* a large international publisher.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2189 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »

Is he affiliated with [...] Edge Magazine?
No

Those were all rhetorical questions.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2190 on: July 11, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »

Also, Future Pub. are well aware of Tim's activities, but don't feel him dragging their reputation through the mud is worth their time. I mean all they have to do is tell the USPTO that Langdell has never published the American version of their magazine and they'll have proof that Langdell used fraudulent evidence of use in his trademark application. It's almost farcical that non of these so called 'big' companies are able to swat such an insignificant little fly. You here all the time that these companies can push around the little guy at will, but it seems to me that if the little guy is actually in the wrong they can't seem to do shit. Rant over. Angry

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 14, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

Oddball, they only get off their asses to do something if there's money in it for them (or if the thing in question may somehow make them lose money).

If Langdell had any significant ammount of money, or if he had much of an effect in their profits, I imagine they would be more willing to sue his ass off.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: July 15, 2010, 02:15:34 AM »

Yeah, I think another important thing to realise is that outside of indie games, and mainstream games to an extend, langdell is completely invisible. as far as degrading the trademark goes, he cant really do it if noone knows who he is...
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 18, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »

Yeah, we're kind of alone in this one, only being lucky in him ticking off EA enough with his Mirrors, a game by Edge shenanigans.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2194 on: October 04, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »

Not sure if you folks saw this yet: http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-victorious-as-court-denies-injunction-against-publisher-for-edge-trademark/

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
iffi
« Reply #2195 on: October 04, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »

Tears of Joy
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2196 on: October 05, 2010, 12:26:20 AM »

For those of a legal disposition here is the actual order - http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/3:2010cv02614/228647/67/

Unfortunately this is only one battle. The war very much continues as no trademarks have been cancelled, and no criminal charges have been brought against Langdell. Although this does mean that a court has sided with all EA's claims, and actually concludes that Langdell has been fraudulent and criminal.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2197 on: October 05, 2010, 04:38:19 AM »

The war may not have been won, but like was said in the other thread, this very much reads like a "fire at will" to EA. Maybe it's just my own bias, but it reads as if the judge really wants to see Langdell burn, almost like he's incredulous to the whole thing and can't believe Langdell has been "allowed" to do all this. The USPTO also gets a few slaps.

All in all, this is freakin' fantastic!

Laserbrain Studios
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2198 on: October 05, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »

Big Laff EDGE

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:27 AM »

EDGE?                Hand Money LeftWell, hello there!Hand Money Right