Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:05:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425389 times)
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2009, 01:54:24 PM »

Tread softly compatriots. The Dude rests 'neath hallowed grounds...  Wizard

mirosurabu
« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

I liked that Snoopy game. I think I still have it.
MikeDee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2009, 02:20:55 PM »

yeah sure generally speaking you are right, but langdell is one of a few cases of severe ugliness, not even if he shat golden eggs.

i don't really see that. he looks okay to me. he's not terribly ugly for his age.

I disagree, looking at his pic gives me headaches.
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »

hey tim. i could beat you up. chew on that.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »

is there anyone you could not beat up, though?

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2009, 02:32:08 PM »

What about a ghost?

Hey Super Joe, can you beat up a ghost?

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: June 03, 2009, 02:33:13 PM »

Even if there's not, does that make it any less of a thing to chew on?

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #347 on: June 03, 2009, 03:01:59 PM »

I vote George Dzundza for Tom, Ron Silver would've been good for Langdell, but he's dead... So I guess The Dude is good enough.

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: June 03, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

What about Jeff Lebowski for Tom? you're probably closer with George but this could really round it out.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #349 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

Wow. It all kind of kicked off in the comments of Stephen Jacobs' blog at Gamasutra.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/StephenJacobs/20090601/1615/Class_Acts_Or_Not_The_IGDA_Langdell_Capps_and_quotPolicingquot_the_Board.php

Kudos to Stephen for admitting that the IDGA board should probably take another look at this.
"In light of what has been posted here in the past few days, I would encourage the board to take a look at it."

But Langdell is still refusing to answer any of the relevent questions. His only defence seems to be, "I've got a piece of paper from the trademarks office that says I'm right so , nah!"

Oddbob
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »

I don't know, I think we know all we need to at this point.  Further inquiries into Langdell's private life or prior enterprises don't really seem germane to the issue at hand - whether he actually worked on 200 games or not, it's clear that the Edge Games "brand" was in no danger of being confused with the iPhone game Edge, especially since, indeed, we can't really identify an Edge Games game since 1994.  Whether he's a fraud or simply stretching facts in other parts of his life is largely irrelevant.  A sitting IGDA director has used what appear by all accounts to be shady practices to bully a small indie team to extort them for cash.

If anything, Landell is obfuscating the real issue by throwing out all these "I worked on 200 games!  I saved indies in the 80's!" claims.  I mean, if Alec and company tried to blackmail another indie company for just having the word "Ammo" or "Infinite" in the name of their game they'd be assholes just the same as Langdell.  A track record of "good" behavior like releasing awesome games and helping fellow indies doesn't excuse being a dick.  So even if he's telling the complete and entire truth about this stuff, it doesn't exonerate him.

If we should be asking Langdell anything, it should be his basis for his extremely strong defense of a really weak trademark.  What really interests me - what legitimate concessions has he offered that didn't involve him taking a share of the profits from Edge and claiming yet another "licensee"?  Have him prove that he's legitimately simply concerned about protecting his trademark and is willing to help another small indie developer make it while protecting his own interests and not just in it for a quick buck.  That's the real test litmus for how scummy this scandal is, not whether he could technically claim a credit for a two-week advising job he did on God of War.

Yeah, as much as I find the muck raking somewhere between hilarious and shocking - it's pretty much established now that Tim if not outright lying, is certainly blowing situations out of all proportion for self gain.

Edge were, at best, middle ground players in the eighties in the UK. The reinvented sense of importance we're seeing here is totally like an alternate time line where Tim and his company existed on a separate plane of reality. He wasn't and isn't, despite claims to the contrary, a godfather of the industry really. He's just some guy who published a couple of games a long time ago.

What's boggling for me as someone who not only lived through this but has friends and acquaintances who were part of the industry in the Eighties and still are to this day is the sheer scale of the truth stretching. I nearly popped a blood vessel when Everiss decided to rewrite the history of Imagine blaming piracy for its demise but shit me, compared to the Langdell-o-matic, that's a leetle tiny drop in the ocean.

And it's good that you lot have brought this to light. Really good. Because vile cuntery in business is pretty much taken as "oh well", vile cuntery in business when combined with the info dredged up over the past couple of days elevates it into a position whereby it's hard not to take notice.

But yeah, there's enough rope there for Tim to hang himself multiple times over by his own actions and deeds. Aside from voyeuristic enjoyment, I think the scale is apparent now and best focusing the fight on where it matters and that's like you say above, so I wont reiterate it other than to quote it and stick two thumbs up at it.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »

What was this actor's name again?

mirosurabu
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:26 PM »

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

So that was tims mistake!

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »

Craig, with due respect, hearings before a trademark office are decidedly not litigation and the fact we have been involved in some such hearings because the law requires us to does not make us "litigious." Saying "..your past appearances in court were merely oppositions.." is not helpful given that one does not appear in a court when dealing with oppositions. There is no court involved in trademark hearings, indeed many are handled as phone conversations and companies are not required to be represented by an attorney.

I like that he's lecturing me about what litigation is. :D

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:07 PM »

If anything, Landell is obfuscating the real issue by throwing out all these "I worked on 200 games!  I saved indies in the 80's!" claims.  I mean, if Alec and company tried to blackmail another indie company for just having the word "Ammo" or "Infinite" in the name of their game they'd be assholes just the same as Langdell.  A track record of "good" behavior like releasing awesome games and helping fellow indies doesn't excuse being a dick.  So even if he's telling the complete and entire truth about this stuff, it doesn't exonerate him.

I couldn't agree more; it's best to address the issue at hand as concisely as possible.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2009, 04:26:58 PM »

I couldn't agree more; it's best to address the issue at hand as concisely as possible.

Aww. Sad

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »

Burn the papers Alec!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »

I have photos Alec. I know what you did last summer...

I like turtles.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »

I have photos Alec. I know what you did last summer...

Then those photos must be sexy as hell!

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic