Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:54:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 425427 times)
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: August 04, 2009, 04:37:20 AM »

I think this will still end badly for Mobigames. Edge Games is incorporated and I suspect has no real assets of it's own. Tim will not be liable for legal fees or judgements as a share holder. Even if Mobigames wins and counter claims I don't think they will recoup any losses or fees incurred. Edge Games will simply close doors, and Tim will slink off to pastures new, leaving Mobigames with little more than a moral victory.

A moral victory is still a victory, and would result in Mobigames being able to release the game with the name they wished to use originally, and of course, a victory would be a stunning PR win for them.

With that said..  it's worth also pointing out that even with Edge Games being incorporated, it's still possible to pierce the corporate veil under some circumstances (which may or may not apply in this case).  If that was to be done, then Mr. Langdell would be found to be financially liable for the acts of his company.  I'm not an expert on this topic, so I can't really judge how likely it is that something like this would succeed against Edge Games.. but it's possible;  particularly if the judge can be convinced that Edge Games Inc is just an alter-ego for Mr. Langdell, as opposed to a bona fide separate entity, or that its actions were fraudulent or otherwise illegal.
bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:14 AM »

Edge Games is incorporated and I suspect has no real assets of it's own.
Edge Games has offices in Pasadena. And any IP rights they own, can, in the end of the day, also be auctioned off, to satisfy creditors.

Tim will not be liable for legal fees or judgements as a share holder.
Share holders aren't devoid of responsibility for their business's liabilities. Each shareholder is liable up to the value of their equity in the company, albeit not from their personal assets, but that of the company.

Edge Games will simply close doors, and Tim will slink off to pastures new
That would make it a very easy case, then, to prove fraudulent behavior on Langdell's part. In which case he is no longer protected by the Incorporated nature of Edge Games, and is personally liable, with his own belongings, to any liability burdening his business.
Furthermore, I find it much more likely that Langell will simply opt for confidential out-of-court settlements, as he has done in the past, before any case comes to trial, then crawl under a rock. He's already jumped ship once, and he isn't a young man any more. He's a middle aged man with a wife, much less likely to up and relocate when there are easier options on the table.

Even if Mobigames wins and counter claims I don't think they will recoup any losses or fees incurred.
Considering the above syllogism, it is my opinion that Mobigames is more likely than not to reclaim any profit loss and be granted personal damages compensation.

I would also like to state that my earlier criticism on David Papazian's actions was uninformed. He did seek legal advice, and acted accordingly. I might have followed a different strategy, but I can not, with my current knowledge, claim he acted inappropriately.
Oddbob
« Reply #902 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »

Had a few hours free this afternoon (otherwise known as Missus Bob took the kid out and I'd only managed 3 1/2 hours sleep so doing anything useful or constructive wasn't going to happen) so I've updated the Google Doc with as much info as I can.

There's now links to reviews/threads etc... where appropriate. As an aside, managed to knock another 3 games off the list.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfnb2s7p_1cmhxprcp

EXCITING!*

*not.
Ajene
« Reply #903 on: August 04, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDGE_Games#Other the IDGA is making a petition to remove him from the board.
Mike Lee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: August 04, 2009, 03:30:30 PM »

I'd highly encourage any one here who's a member of the IGDA to sign this petition. In order to call a special meeting to remove Tim Langdell 10% of the voting IGDA members are needed. Many people here obviously question the usefulness of the IGDA and it's leadership (or lack thereof) during the whole Langdell controversy has been pathetic. But votes like this not only make the IGDA a more useful, pro-developer organization, but can help inform other people about Tim Langdell and his slimy practices.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: August 04, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=3a78e95cbbc7eeb02e279aa9923e6d5c&postid=228591#post228591

Also, Tim posted a lengthy rant on the IGDA forum topic calling for his removal. He's asking to know who sent the email, to litigate, no doubt. Careful guys, his lawyer is out for blood!
And, no, Edge does not have any lawsuit against Mobigames, that is another fiction invented to get the indie game community angry.
Mock Anger
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #906 on: August 04, 2009, 07:16:18 PM »

I like how he twists media to refer to news media and not any other kind of media.  Roll Eyes

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #907 on: August 04, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »

i like how he says they HAVE to defend their trademark...but his "defense" involves extorting money from the other developers?  so miserable.

cup full of magic charisma
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #908 on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »

Transparency:
For instance, Edge Games filed to register the mark EDGY because it understood that Mobigame wanted it to.

At least he's honest there, if I'm interpreting it correctly. May as well register FEZ while he's at it, because it is understood that fish wanted it to[sic].
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »

No no no, I think he's saying it was understood that Mobigames wanted [Edge Games] to [register it].

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #910 on: August 04, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »

No no no, I think he's saying it was understood that Mobigames wanted [Edge Games] to [register it].

oh my mistake... but still he expects people to believe that?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: August 04, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »

oh my mistake... but still he expects people to believe that?

I wouldn't try to read logic into what he's saying, this is politics now.

He can't really defend his actions, but he can succeed in deflecting this if he casts enough doubt on the accusations and the accusers.

The doubt doesn't even have to have evidence.

Zaphos
« Reply #912 on: August 04, 2009, 09:17:17 PM »

Even just to instill doubt your claims should be remotely plausible though ...
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #913 on: August 04, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »

Even just to instill doubt your claims should be remotely plausible though ...

Really?

Look what the Republicans have been up to lately. Smiley

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: August 04, 2009, 10:35:34 PM »

Tim's personality is such that I feel like he might actually be paranoid enough to believe he's the victim of some kind of media conspiracy.  Just like a lot of the Republicans.

It's really ironic/scary that he's got a PhD in psychology.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »

Man, imagine if he shows up at next year's GDC. We can... uh... berate him... in public!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Oddbob
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »

Ah deary me, so they got the signatures needed?

Oh dear.

The desperation in Tim's posts now is palpable. Shit just got real for him.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »

RobF: He'll resign and spin some lies about how some angry indies started a smear campaign, and how to protect the IGDA's reputation he decided it was best for him to go. The IGDA board will issue a statement, saying how saddened everyone is to see someone with Tim's massive experience leave, and wish him well in his future endeavors. You're right about his posts
Originally posted by EDGE
Brian, in the interests of transparency, please tell us, who sent that email to the membership?

And by the way, how did you and your friends get round all the safeguards put in place to combat spam use of our membership directory? Surely you didnt sit there clicking on the email form tool and entering in the human readable code for every one of those emails? Doesn't look like it since you started each email with "Der [first name] [last name]". And you cant have written a bot that was able to read the human readable code to enter to use the email form .. so come on, impress us. How did you do it?

The last sentence, so peevish, not something you would expect from a member of the board of directors of a serious organization. But then, if the IGDA was serious, there would be no Tim Langdell on the board of directors. And no Tom Buscaglia for that matter. Can you imagine, someone who was supposed to be a lawyer for indies, telling the folks to just take the abuse because the bully was within his right to litigate, how's that for legal advice.
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 05, 2009, 08:49:17 AM »

It's really ironic/scary that he's got a PhD in psychology.

A PhD is a measurement of tenaciousness and determination, not intelligence.
Oddbob
« Reply #919 on: August 05, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

http://www.gamerbeef.com/article2474.html

Odd! (Scroll down to the comments)
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic