Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow can I make my game trailer viral
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How can I make my game trailer viral  (Read 1292 times)
Xfactor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:33:48 AM »

Do you think a game trailer can go viral? I've never seen something like that and am very curious about it.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »

goat simulator trailer went sorta viral, it was a parody of dead island trailer and got its momentum on the 1st april as it was taken as an april joke.

Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:12:59 AM »

Yeah it can, I think about Dead island 1, almost all warcraft trailers and the old republic trailers.
I consider them viral because some youtubers film themselves reacting to those trailers, so it reaches a great audience.
The real question is "how a video gets viral, video game trailer or not".

Personally I don't know, but I'm sure you can find a lot of articles on this subject. It must depends on the target audience, the timing, the present tendencies and other stuff like this.

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »

I'd lump game trailers in with things like commercials or PR gifts sent to journalists. They're all marketing tools already, so to make them go "viral" you typically have to go real extreme or weird with them, and that has some major risks

Take Dead Island. Its probably the best example of a trailer going viral, but people were rightfully pissed when they learned that the somber, melancholic CG trailer was for a bog standard FPS zombie shooter. They felt tricked. If they had made an accurate trailer it never would have gone viral.

Viral things should be, by its very definition, organic. Don't try to force it.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 01:12:36 PM »

target 14 year olds?

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:39:32 PM »

Include Chuck Norris in it.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
allthegoodideas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:09:00 AM »

Haha there are games with Chuck Norris in it and the game does pretty good, I know the studio that met with him and got the rights. I like the examples you guys use because all those games tell a story. I think those developers knew their audience and created something based on what they believed their audience wanted. Your personal brand also plays a part, spending time building your personal brand and getting even a following of a small group of loyal individuals can play a huge part in going viral.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic