Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:28:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFunding for game start up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Funding for game start up  (Read 2647 times)
Xfactor
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:42 AM »

Hey everyone...another question please.
Can anyone share your experience with crowdfunding beside Kickstarters? I tried it but it seems not very successful, so would like to know other options that you use to get funding for your game. Thanks a lot!  Smiley
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:52:40 AM »

I also ran a kickstarter which just scraped through based on bothering friends and fam.

I think the key is to make sure you have something of a following already. The mistake I made was to throw it up expecting that to generate interest, but unless you are lucky or have something drop dead awesome then you wont get much random foot traffic
Eyon
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:24:47 AM »

For a crowndfunding to work you have to already have a  strong community following you. I'm talking at least ten thousands people following you on social networks, interested on what you're doing. If you don't have a strong community, nobody will care about you're work =/.

It's hard but it is how it is, except, as Tusky said, if you are lucky.
So maybe work on the marketing of you're game for another year and then, try again =).

Mobile strategy game in the browser: https://eyon.itch.io/agentsxmonsters
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyon_Patrick
Xfactor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:12:49 AM »

Thanks for your advice guys!

Yeah I haven't been lucky recently so I don't think I could get some investment out of Kickstarter or any source. I have read ways to fund a start-up here: https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/online-marketing/online-sales/startup-financing-options-for-funding/
Apparently the most convincing option for me is...my own saving  Shocked. I can either go with bank loan or start-up funding program, which is basically a loan but not from banks. I'm thinking of using this money source to build up my game first, then as @Eyon said, make it popular before trying my luck again with crowdfunding. 
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 12:57:02 AM »

I suggest not taking any loans whatsoever, because chances are your game will nosedive. In the current market over-saturation I'd wager that only 1 in 1000 games makes its money back. You better act as if your game will fail, because most probably it's going to be one of the 999 games that will. Don't make your financial health depend on the rare chance of a well-selling game. Do freelancing, make games in your spare time.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic