Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:32:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThistledown : a Tragedy of Blood
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Thistledown : a Tragedy of Blood  (Read 7878 times)
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 05:12:54 AM »

Holy shit, you know I wasn't really expecting bunnies with that title "Thistledown: The Tragedy of Blood"

I'm really intrigued Shocked

Reminds me heavily of OneShot and this style of RPGmaker games, relying heavily on story, To The Moon, that kind of stuff. Makes me wanna play it!

I'd love to see more!

Awesome! You're exactly right about what style of game it is. I'm focusing very much on story, character, and building an interesting world.
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 03:51:53 PM »

Get an update when Thistledown Launches: http://www.andhegames.com/thistledown

A miscellany of animation [GIFS]

I've been animating, animating, animating this week. Great fun!
But, first things first: giant statue.

Then we have one of the dangerous "Fair Folk", the Fovos:

A couple of animations for Oni, our main character:

(including one demonstrating how I feel right now):

And, what's perhaps my favorite animation to date:

Those glasses.

I should have some music to share soon, IT'S SO GOOD.  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »

So, much of the progress this week has been things I can't show you. Boring stuff, like save systems and fixing things that have been randomly breaking.

Cry

Anyway, ZOOMING LOGO:

and a sweet burning contract animation in-game:

That's all for now. I've also been working on secret stuff. Secret secret stuff that I shan't spoil yet.
Ikkir_
Level 0

Explosions are always cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 06:26:11 AM »

Looks neat, really dig the portraits.

For your building fades, you may want to consider a 'Link to the Past' building enter/exit fade (diminishing / extending ellipses).  Alternatively, of course, find a way to do a no-fade which keeps the main character in view while transitioning, but its a bit harder to design stuff that way.

Missile Comrade: A missile defense game about MAD commanders and mutually assured destruction.
Devlog
Twitter
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

Looks neat, really dig the portraits.

For your building fades, you may want to consider a 'Link to the Past' building enter/exit fade (diminishing / extending ellipses).  Alternatively, of course, find a way to do a no-fade which keeps the main character in view while transitioning, but its a bit harder to design stuff that way.

Thanks for the idea, I'll have to look into that.  Coffee
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »

Hello, hello!

I've been putting together a demo of Thistledown, which I am going to be making available as soon as i can.

In the mean time, if you're impatient like me, you can watch a whole demo here:

Video of the demo:

Smiley Smiley Smiley
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »

Short update, to let you know: development has paused until November while I finish up development on another game. I'm having the Thistledown script evaluated by some pretty amazing folks, and working to grow the Thistledown team.

We're still here, and Thistledown moving forward. Smiley
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »

Just discovered this thread today. Looks like you've got a solid theme and vision for this game. Will follow!

Makin' games.
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »

Just discovered this thread today. Looks like you've got a solid theme and vision for this game. Will follow!

Thank you! I've worked hard on the world and characters, really trying to tell a good story. I'm glad that came through!
smgorden
Level 0

Gentleman Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 06:47:39 AM »

I've worked hard on the world and characters

It shows! The bit with the glasses and scroll was great, btw.

And the scale of the larger objects makes for great set-pieces, which seems like it would help with building a mental map of memorable locations in the game.

Makin' games.
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »

I've worked hard on the world and characters

It shows! The bit with the glasses and scroll was great, btw.

And the scale of the larger objects makes for great set-pieces, which seems like it would help with building a mental map of memorable locations in the game.

Good eye - that's exactly what I was intending. Building a mental map is difficult for me if areas aren't differentiated enough.
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »

Quick update:
We've been putting together a Wiki for the world of Thistledown. It's primarily a organizational tool, but it's interesting reading. Don't go there if you want to enter Thistledown blind, do go there if you like backstory and world-building.

Wiki:
https://thistledown.wikia.com/wiki/Thistledown_Wiki
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 08:16:14 AM »

New teaser-trailer!

andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 01:10:26 PM »

Hello!
I've been feverishly at work, converting Thistledown into a side-scrolling platformer. Why? I wasn't getting the kind of depth and visual possibilities that I wanted with top-down.

I'll give you a small example of what it looks like now - we aware, the tiles I put on there look like someone ate a castle and vomited it everywhere. I'm experimenting with layers, parallax, etc. on my way to getting the look I want.

You'll also see a bit of the menu/settings system I've built in that video.

The rest of the game, as I build it and add the storyline, looks something like this:

The script

A handful of months ago, I sent the script out to a group of script advisors. Among them were scriptwriters, directors, and creative writing experts. I had them tear the script apart, sparing not my feelings, because I want it to be as good as it can be. I couldn't be more thrilled with the results - the Thistledown script is tight, emotional, and I'm incredibly proud of it. Through their help, it's become something more than I could produce on my own.

But why go to all of this trouble?
Most video games don't need much of a story – "Plumber on drugs saving a princess from turtles" is all you need for most games. I believe that the history of games as lacking in story has caused game-makers to under-invest in story. Many games are fantastic with little or no story, but the potential for games as story-telling devices is amazing. I Chose to put a whole year+ into this story and my world, because I believe that the effort will being forth a powerful narrative, in a deeply interesting world. I can't wait to share it with you!
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 02:32:25 PM »

We're starting to look like this now:

andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 01:15:49 PM »

I've been drawing portraits over the holidays, here is a fun selection!

Also been building future localization support into the game system, so I can add other languages easily in the future.

I now have a html website up for Thistledown: http://thistledowngame.com/
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:09 PM »

Hello! I've come bearing screenshots! As the first chapter nears completion, and as  more and more systems come into place, I'll be posting new devlogs more often. Smiley

andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »

I've added several new areas since the last update, including 12 (count 'em!) new NPCs. Mostly Kouneli, one cute mole. Smiley

Also, brand new website! Shiny!

http://thistledowngame.com

andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 11:05:10 AM »

New haunting trailer, featuring a lot of new areas and content:

I'll be headed toward Kickstarter in a little over a month! Hooray!  Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right
andhedrew
Level 0

Andhegames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »

Hey! First I'm working on new illustrations to represent the game, ink and watercolor:

I really wanted to represent the delicate emotions of the game, with a light, delicate illustration.

Kickstarter
I'll be headed to Kickstarter in June, if you like Kickstarter, you can follow here : https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/andhegames
...and Thistledown is on Steam now, available for the wish listing: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1055960/Thistledown_A_Tragedy_of_Blood/

Smiley So exciting!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic