Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1338657 Posts in 61059 Topics- by 52542 Members - Latest Member: darknightsstudio

May 25, 2018, 08:07:14 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDistant Valley - Yoshi's Island, Bonk's Adventure like platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Distant Valley - Yoshi's Island, Bonk's Adventure like platformer  (Read 721 times)
SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:29:14 am »

Distant Valley

During the first age, within the valley of stones, a tribe has lost their purpose in life and no longer feel connected to each other or the land. However, the marks of time have spoken to you. Showing you a glimpse of a forgotten truth and awakening your mind to certain knowledge that is now missing from your people. Instinct is driving you to journey to the edge of the world in search of the memory cave where the meaning to everything must be found.

The game's story will probably be altered to something a bit more focused at some point.

Various early palette mockups. The actual screen size will be a bit wider than these.

I'd like to include an alternate palette option that would give you a slightly surreal SMB2 like saturated look.

I'm going to also utilize art from this Toejam and Earl mockup I made sometime ago to make some kind of worldmap for the game.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:27:59 pm by SolS » Logged

QOG
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:41:05 pm »

All your projects seem really cool, I look forward to playing one some day  Wink.

Also while I know you're planning to make it wider there might also be some interesting design consequences by keeping things narrow but tall vertically.
SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:32:40 pm »

Thanks! I do like how they look with a narrow width so if I widen them it won't be by too much.

Yong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 01:40:59 am »

Nice style! Hand Thumbs Up Left I find the alternate palette the most visually interesting and attention-grabbing though it may be just a little too harsh on the eyes? Shrug

SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:01:20 am »

Thanks! I do agree it's a bit harsh. There's a good chance I'll tone it down a little once I start testing things in game.

SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 06:17:58 am »

Kind of a collage of rough mockups and ideas.

SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:04 am »

Here's a better look at the other mountain background in different palettes.

SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:19:46 am »

Haven't been working on much lately but I was testing the physics this morning. Trying to see if I can use the default jump physics built into the games factory so I have a smoother jump but still keep the other collision detectors I used in Seas of Saturn.

The result is still buggy, the character sometimes sinks into the ground a few pixels after landing. I made it bump the character back up if that happens but now it just looks like he shakes a bit when he lands sometimes. There's other issues too so I may just end up trying to learn game maker if I can't make it work in tgf. I think I have a solution that might work though.

Also did some parallax with the background which I've never tried before so that was fun.

Here's another with a few things added in.

Added a walking animation. I might add a frame or two later on but this is good for now.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:25:53 pm by SolS » Logged

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:30:30 pm »

this is the greatest

SolS
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 01:52:42 am »

Thanks!  Smiley

Pages: [1]