Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 09:35:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDistant Valley ~ Yoshi's Island like platformer
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Distant Valley ~ Yoshi's Island like platformer  (Read 13859 times)
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2018, 03:50:00 AM »

Got a start on some water and rock stuff.

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »

Love all of this very much.  Kiss

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 08:49:47 AM »

Thank you!

Loving the look of your game as well. Hopefully you'll be able to continue working on it.

Boomfire Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2018, 02:35:15 AM »

Very colorful art. We love it. Congrats!

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »

I really love the art style and the gameplay seems to go very well with it. I can't wait to play this.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:48 AM »

Boomfire Games - Thanks again!

alvarop - Thanks, glad you like it so far. I still need to add in the character's spear attacks. That and stage mechanics which I need to start thinking about more. I've been on a roll with getting art done so I'm just going with that for now.

LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »

It looks great, but that is the usual for your projects. Just make sure to finish and release them.  Hand Fork Left Gomez Hand Knife Right
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:11 AM »

Thanks, I'll try!

Here's a bit more experimenting with the rocks and stuff from the very first mockup.

GaryTheWizard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 07:41:23 PM »

These parallax shots are a joy to stare at, the whole thing looks great

garytwzrd [at] gmail.com
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:45 AM »

Thanks!

So today I was messing with bits of unused stuff but I'm not sure I like how it turned out. Rocks that went unused previously because they looked a bit flat. And trees that are a bit too detailed on the leaves. I don't think it's bad but it just looks like it's from a different game with a different style. Or maybe I've just been staring at it for too long, it might look fine to me tomorrow.

Edit: Here's a quick edit adding thicker lines to the trees and other small changes. Still might tweak it a bit more but this is fine for now.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:07:32 AM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2018, 06:23:54 AM »

I've narrowed down what seemed off in the previous mockup although I'm going to move on from that stage idea itself for now. It helped to take some time to think about it though so I have a better idea of what to keep in mind when making future art.

I made a new mockup today using a similar palette to a game I saw on itch called Dirt. Apparently that palette itself is modified from a palette called nyx8. Anyways it feels a little odd using such a similar palette but I do love the atmosphere of it. Do you guys think it's fine or should I avoid using such a similar palette?

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 07:47:51 AM »

I realized some time ago that my first mockup for this game had a strong resemblance to mario land. So it was hard to resist trying out some easter island type heads. They are a bit common in games so I might alter them to look more unique or even scrap them if they begin to feel too out of place.

I'm also attempting to make some sand tiles although it's been a bit difficult coming up with something that works so I have nothing to show for that yet. Also planning to make some ice/snow, cave and more jungle stuff.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »

Made some sand tiles. This will probably be the first stage.

Here's some rough/unfinished mockups, I've been testing testing some ice stage ideas along with other things.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:09:21 AM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »

Testing different saturation levels for the first stage.

And trying out other ideas.

bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 02:29:35 AM »

this art style is very attractive! i have to say, though, it's really hard to make out the foreground from the background. maybe use a more limited, dull color palette for the background?

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 07:06:02 AM »

Thanks! Yeah readability is definitely a concern. It's something I'm open to experimenting with more later on but for now, so far, anything that seemed too busy as a still image seems fine in motion with parallax.

In general I think the heavy contrast and the colors help give the game a more unique look. Although I do want to try separating the colors of the sand from the mountains a bit more which is the main reason I was testing the saturation in the previous post. Either way it's something I'm trying to keep in mind as I do future art.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2018, 01:36:42 PM »

Testing some things

Also started working on a potential world map but it's still too early to show anything from it.

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »

Love the visual style.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2018, 01:16:08 AM »

Thanks!

So here's a few alternate versions of things I had made.

And a rough concept of another stage background.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:52:14 AM by SolS » Logged

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2018, 03:27:44 AM »

A couple more mockups.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic