Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:22:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDistant Valley ~ Yoshi's Island like platformer
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Distant Valley ~ Yoshi's Island like platformer  (Read 13207 times)
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »

In response to the earlier discussion, I feel like the balance between readability and stylishness has been solid, though it's hard to tell if it would be an issue without playing the game.

I really like the contrast between the day and night stages. Would these be separate levels or would an individual level cycle between them?
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »

Thanks! I was thinking it would be a bit of both. Similar to Mario World or Yoshi's Island where you might be underground for part of the stage and when you come back to the surface it's a different time of day or a different background. I might test the palette change during a stage idea at some point and use that for some stages as well.

And yeah I think the readability can always be tweaked at some point if it continues to be an issue.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 02:52:00 AM »

Here's a few different ideas I've been trying out.

The backgrounds on these are the unaltered version of the background from the previous post so they're a bit dirty at the moment. I'd probably tweak the wood platforms to look a bit more natural too if I decide to use these.

This foggy white background one is heavily inspired by super mario land. The little clouds should look nice in motion with the different parallax speeds. I'll probably try to animate the mockups from the previous couple posts next.

verdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 05:04:19 AM »

Love this one.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:36 AM »

Your artwork and choice of colors is great! I look forward to see/experience how the gameplay is. I also liked the visuals of Seas of Saturn. What are you planning to do for music?

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2018, 07:14:31 PM »

I love the look of this project so far. As others have said, the parallax effects really shine. I love the art style, too. Keep up the good work!   Hand Clap Smiley

urskogshumla
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »

Loving this! I find that there's a great Yoshis Island vibe to the graphics style, the thick lines and use of softened shadows really works well. <3
SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 12:58:17 AM »

verdog - Thanks! I really like how that one turned out, here it is in motion.

sidbarnhoorn - I have a short demo track for now. I'd like to get something like the music from Bonk's Adventure or like the cave theme or the title screen theme from Yoshi's Island. I've been sick for a while so I'm sticking to just making art for now but eventually when things turn around I'll look into music and the physics a bit more. Glad to hear you're liking the looks of this and seas of saturn, thanks!

andyfromiowa - Thank you! Hopefully I'll be able to add more layers to the parallax at some point.

urskogshumla - Thanks! Smiley
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:03:44 AM by SolS » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic