Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:50:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSeed Magic
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seed Magic  (Read 1089 times)
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »

End of Week 1 working on Seed Magic and it has gone really great! I fit in a few extra bells and whistles on the game play implementation, without really getting off track. Overall I was really good at tracking time and staying in line with the plan. I outlined everything planned to get work on, broke them up into rough hour (and some half) chunks, and laid them out on a six week timeline.

It has helped to have a visualization of how much time I have, especially seeing the free space to act as a buffer shrink as I add things.

My schedule assumes a 10 hour minimum of work, and adds an extra 4 hour chunk to each week I can use to house some extra. The hope is to squeeze stuff out of that and into the free space, but I have the extra room if necessary.

The second week will have a focus on art and effect work, with just a little time carved out for the first spells. I’m looking forward to sitting down with a lot of solid time dedicated just to pixel art.

What I’d really like to do is think and talk about why this first week went well and how I can make the next five weeks of development go just as smooth. Traditionally, I think I’m technically proficient at the craft of “making video games” but there’s a huge and not-at-all uncommon gap between that and finishing a game, getting it out the door, and exchanging money with people who want to play that game. That all has to change, so the theme of this project is discipline.

First Discipline: Plan how much time will be spent and spend it. I outlined my project and laid it out into six 10 hour weeks, giving each week a 4 hour optional buffer to use. I worked for 12 hours this week, watching my time in a tracker and making sure I was putting in enough each day that it would add up by the end of the week. Keeping an eye on it and having a specific goal kept me on track.

Second Discipline: Don’t do things you didn’t plan to do. Sure, I embellished a little when I added a simple non-animated magic sparkle sprite that flies in a single arc from a match to the enemy when you deal damage, just so you can have an idea what’s going on, but that took like 10 minutes and it really helped, and  didn’t go off the rails more than that. There were other tasks I came up with as necessary and simple abandoned when I saw myself get outside the planned goals of the week. Even if it looked approachable, sometimes even if I had already started some code, I just backed out and deleted that work, leaving an item in my backlog, instead of pushing other planned events of the timeline. I stayed focused.

Third Discipline: Moderate the completion of planned tasks. When I have a task on my todo list that says “Code Enemy Attacks” there’s a pretty wide range of how I can interpret that, and I have an estimate for an hour to do that in. What that means is the interpretation of “Code Enemy Attacks” is exactly what can fit in 60 minutes, because I keep myself in a position where I can stop when I hit that time and call the current state “done”. In this case, I implemented the damage first as numbers internally, then a health bar, then a little animation of the attack, etc. Each of these little steps was complete on its own, so at any point when the time ran out, I could ship that. By working in small iterations I can be sure I’m always ready to be done with something, because I make sure to never have a lot of work put into something not in a state that’s complete to some definition.

There’s a lot that can happen in the next five weeks. I definitely think I had a great week I’m really proud of, but I’m not naïve and I know I’ve had those kind of starts on other projects. The difference, I hope, is that those good starts were the outcome of hasty enthusiasm, where this time I’m working more with persistent dedication. Time will tell, of course, but for now I can guess that I’m going to do good.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:17:05 AM by ironfroggy » Logged
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:01 AM »

This isn't a big impressive game, but its one I enjoyed working on. its also one that I dropped and moved on from, like so many others. That's a story I know many game developers can relate to.

I'm sick and tired of not finishing things.

I'm sick and tired of calling myself a game developer and having, after so many years, virtually nothing to show for it. This is going to change, and I'm starting that change by finishing one of my small projects, Seed Magic.

I WILL FINISH THIS TIME.

Maybe this will be the start of revisiting many of my old projects, one at a time, and finishing enough of them that I can undo some of the failures I feel? Or, maybe finishing this one will just provide me with a very needed morale boost right now. Either way, I think this is important, even for this small match-3 game.

However...

I wouldn't be me if I *just* finished the existing game. To be fair, it had a bunch of bugs in the match and animation code. And I haven't touched it in two years. And it runs on an older version of Unity that I'd have to upgrade it from. So, instead, I've taken the art assets I already had, and all the game design, and a new Python game engine some friends have been working on, and I rebuilt the core loop over the last few days.

The rest of the mechanics will come over the next week:
  • Spells cast by different types of seeds
  • Multiple enemies
  • Enemy retaliation attacks
  • Score keeping, menu, game pause, etc.
  • And *corrupted* enemies with magic immunities
RealScaniX
Level 6

Scanix (ignore the "Real", Scanix was taken)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 09:26:54 AM »

I can feel your pain. I have started and abandoned lots of game (and other) projects, too.
Your progress and gameplay look nice, though. I wish you the best with finishing this! Smiley

ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:49:12 PM »

The Seed Magic Remake made a lot of great progress this week. Some of that progress lives in the PursuedPyBear engine and my extensions to it, which I'm both building on top of and trying to contribute to because I want to be a part of making the Python game dev scene better. A lot of the progress made this last week was building the complete loop into which I can start putting all the existing content from the previous iteration of the project from two years ago.

Between engine and game work, considering I could only build in a couple hours here and there through the week, I made some good progress:

- Added basic sound effects for the swapping and match effects
- Built a bitmap text rendering system
- Built a menu overlay for the start, pause, and end of game states
- Hooked in player and enemy death events that will be used very soon with actual enemy content and attacks
- Built a health bar component, used by both the player and current enemy
- Fixed about three bugs in the engine, including audio crashes and performance throttles to keep the particle effects buttery smooth.

I'll have a lot more time this weekend, when I'll be incorporating the enemy assets. Some of that time will be spent building the move constraints that are currently missing, like forbidding multiple moves overlapping each other. My son will be helping me code some of this, with my assistance, as he learns.

And, this isn't the only game development time I get to spend in the week, either!

Meanwhile, my podcast Side Quest Completed, a podcast about being an indie game developer on the side with a full-time job, is just about hitting its one year anniversary. We recorded our twenty-eighth episode and talked about travel as a game design construct in different games. It was a really great conversation, and having these weekly conversations is really great right now and I just love talking about programming and games anyway, so this last year doing the podcast has been great, honestly.

Itch.io https://stonebird.itch.io/
Twitter https://twitter.com/ironfroggy/ / https://twitter.com/stonebirdgames/
Side Quest Completed Podcast https://sidequestcompleted.com/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:59:07 PM by ironfroggy » Logged
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 05:24:25 AM »

I tagged version 0.5.0 of Seed Magic this morning. This was an important version for two big reasons:

• I reworked the way attacks and enemy defeat works to make the lore of the game clearer: you're curing the corrupted animals of the Magic Jungle while the corruption spreads to the seeds and drives them mad and they attack you.
  • This is the final feature change version. Everything after this is bug fixing and small tweaks. The next few days of work will be getting this ready to drop on [Itch.io](http://itch.io) at the end of the month, including setting up the page and making banner art and a proper logo.

So, seed magic is in the home stretch!

It doesn't actually look like a lot changed between last week's Screen Shot Saturday and this week, but under the hood, I reworked a lot of the timing code to make many of the bugs that could occur vanish finally. Things happen much more consistently now between all the different things in motion at once.

This is all controlled by custom Timing and Tweening systems I've written for the PursuedPyBear game engine that Seed Magic is built on top of. I'll be cleaning these up and putting them into packages for re-use in my next game, and for anyone else who wants a good tweening system for their next Python game!
ironfroggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:16:56 AM »

I released Seed Magic (0.5.2) to my Itch.io page last Thursday. The goal was "finish the game in one month" and I hit the target. I'll probably follow up with some tweaks in the future, but for now I'm very happy to able to call something done!

Try it out! https://stonebird.itch.io/seed-magic/

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic