Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:42:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Shadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game  (Read 27046 times)
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2020, 02:18:08 AM »

Thanks GlacierEclipse and McMutton!

It's been another long while since the last update, so here's one.

Doors! What are they good for?! Breaking and entering!

Everybody knows doors are the bane of every game developer's life, so I thought I'd write about how I've been handling them in Shadows. This post may contain what I would consider some mechanical spoilers; that is, a few cool things it may be fun to discover in the game without reading about them first. If that bothers you then it might be best to skip this one.

The reason doors are difficult to get right is that by default, their real-life movement can be fundamentally incompatible with slick feeling first-person movement. The prime culprit is which way they open; in real life double-swinging, doors are pretty rare outside of a western saloon. In games though, we always expect them to open away from the player, so we don't suddenly have a big wad of box collider coming towards us. If you've ever played a game where the doors open towards a player then you may have noticed just how awkward that feels. It's a pretty easy fix though, just make them always open away from the person that opened them.

On the technical side of things, the doors in Shadows also act as my 'culling portals'. As the game is procedurally generated, I had to come up with my own system for handling culling. The game has a lot going on, and there's no way we can render everything in the game at any one time. The solution to this is only to render what the player can see. To help with this, Shadows of doubt breaks everything down into rooms connected with doors (even the streets are behind the scenes treated the same as rooms). Doors act as the portal between them and allows the game to create trees or groups of rooms that should be visible to the player. To cut a very long, quite boring technical explanation short; doors in shadows help me narrow down what can be visible to the player at any one time. Useful!

The game isn't rendering a whole lot behind closed doors.

After getting the basics right it was time to move onto the fun stuff. Film noir loves doors. It loves passing notes under them, listening through them, and even peeking through their dirty keyholes. I wanted this game to celebrate the door too. Here are some cool mechanics and design decisions that I've put in the game to help achieve that:

Opening and closing are pretty simple, but when trespassing your character will automatically do it much more quietly.

You can knock on most doors, and if someone is home they should answer. Unless they're asleep of course, in which case if you keep knocking your character will automatically knock louder until you're banging on the door!

A lot of doors can be locked. If you have the key, you can interact with the handle to lock or unlock it. If you don't have the key, after trying the handle you'll get the option to lock-pick it!

Before you do that though, it's always worth checking around; there might be a hidden spare key under the welcome mat or in a nearby plant!

<p>Lock-picking is fairly straightforward, you just need to focus on the handle to increase the progress bar. You can look away to check if anybody might see you (it's classed as an illegal activity), but the progress bar won't fill. Super cool idea to add in future; brass doorknobs featuring real-time reflections so you can see behind you while lock-picking!

Lock-picks will run out and this display shows you how many you are going to need. They are easily found, however; both paperclips and hair clips can be used as lock-picks and are easily stolen without anyone noticing.

You can peek under doors too! Luckily most doors in the world of Shadows of Doubt are poorly-fitted and have enough of a gap underneath for you to see through! Useful for seeing if someone is home. This actually started as me getting the scale of the actual door a little off, I then realised it would make a cool feature.

More importantly, though, the gap is big enough to pass notes under. What a useful trope!

Last but not least: Is a door in your way? Don't like its flimsy poorly-measured craftmanship? If you sprint towards a door you'll get the option to shoulder-barge it. It might take a few tries depending on its door strength, but it's very cool and sometimes worth it. It may alert the neighbors though, and attract all kinds of unwanted attention!

That's it! It's amazing how much cool functionality you can build around something so ubiquitous. Got any more cool ideas I can put in?

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2020, 07:26:13 AM »

Doors! What are they good for?! Breaking and entering!
Say it again! HOO!

I never thought of doors as being this problematic. Maybe it's because my mind always goes to Thief instead of fast FPS games. Thief embraced doors with all its pace killing attributes. You can even click again on an opening door to leave it half open.

marcAKAmarc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »

Looks awesome.  Subscribing  Hand Any Key

fuedhq
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2020, 10:00:36 AM »

Going Ace as usual!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2020, 11:41:44 AM »

Very happy to see a new cool update again! Due to spoiler warning I shall be holding off on reading it, but I am excited to mess around with doors in the game in the future!! Blink Blink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2020, 01:14:06 AM »

Can't believe I wasn't subbed yet
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 11:48:33 AM »

Thanks for the kind words all! :D

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »

Looks very promising. It reminded me of Tex Murphy games.

Best regards

jg.camarasa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »

S
U
B
S
C
R
I
B
I
N
G

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2020, 08:47:48 AM »

Hi everybody, there's a fresh video update for you today! This is part one of two, and it's about how I'm going about creating the simulated citizens in Shadows of Doubt.

This is the first part of a dive into the way I've chosen to generate a simulated citizen's personality within the game world. It's been a challenging process, and often for little immediate gain. However, as the game comes together more and more, I'm finally seeing the fruits of this prior hard work.

The real goal of all this is to create a world with procedural characters (and environments) that aren't just window dressing. I'm super excited about the potential of all this as we continue to flesh out the game. In the next video, I'll talk some more about the tools we're using to do this, and show how everything talked about in this video manifests within the game world.

@ColeJefferies
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »

This is just amazing. I really can't wait to play this, it seems like such a cool world to explore, and this stuff is a big part of that. Lovely to see you putting in the extra work to avoid stereotypes too. Kiss

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2021, 09:43:32 AM »

2021 is here! It's that time where I look back on the previous year to see how badly I missed my targets! I'm going to avoid being too harsh though, the game is going well and we've achieved a lot this year: The game has been signed by Sold Out, Featured in the PC Gamer PC Gaming Show, and we've had Stark Holborn and Miles join the team as writer and voxel artist respectively.

Polish up the game with the goal of presenting it at Rezzed in London at the end of March. This means fixing bugs, adding a couple of smaller features and brining stuff that’s ‘half-way done’ up to ‘pretty much done’. Get some more content in there, hopefully, some new characters models and animations along with more environmental items and at least 1 new building to make the city more varied.

Well... EGX Rezzed didn't happen, so there's that. I did get a playable version ready for this, and RPS kindly made a nice video about it. In retrospect though, the game was still too early to show at this point. Sans COVID I would have taken it to Rezzed and probably would have been a little stressed by the number of technical issues. B+.

Flesh out the gameplay features. CCTV, hacking, tracing phone calls. Foundations of the skill systems and progression. Cool detective stuff that opens up the gameplay.

I did a good chunk of this, and I'm really pleased with the way the CCTV system is going. Nothing is 'complete' standard yet, and won't for a while, but we're getting there. The skill system is something new I've been working on since Xmas so I missed the target date here. B.

The fingerprint system and fingerprint reader is one of the most significant gameplay additions.

Quarter 3 2020

By this point, I should know if early access by the end of the year is feasible. If it is then it will be a case of adding content throughout this quarter until I feel we have something that’s worth your time and money.

If we are able to hit early access this year, the first build will likely feature the first story mission (already done but not polished), or 2 plus a nearly-complete sandbox experience. By that, I mean enough varied side missions and incentives to progress skills/items. There’s a couple of cool ideas that I’ve kept under wraps in terms of what the player can progress towards, but I’ll write about that another time instead of spoiling it here.

Quarter 4 2020

Gearing up for EA. Polishing, fixing bugs and adding minor content. Playtesting. IF we don’t hit EA this year, we should by this point at least have a pretty solid date in mind for when that’s achievable.

At Q3 and 4 we still weren't ready for any kind of public playtest. I'm not quite as free as I once was to talk about this kind of thing due to now working with a publisher (I now have to coordinate with professionals!) All I'm going to say is: Stay tuned in 2021, I will be sharing news when things are ready. C+.

The diner is one of many new locations added this year.

What about the stuff we did get done though? There's been a decent amount! The game is starting to look more and more together. We've added the first story chapter, weather system with rain, fingerprints, much improved AI, alarm systems and security turrets, in-game computer systems, big improvements in the simulation, first-person objects and huge numbers of props.

There is still significant ground to cover though. This is a big, ambitious game and although it feels great to now be fully confident in its scope and the boundaries of that, it's a rough, complex beast that will take time to hone and perfect. So what do we want to get done this year?

2021 Goals

• Citizen visual improvements with various builds, clothes, better detail and faces.
  • A range of to-be-revealed first-person gadgets to aid you in stealth and investigation.
  • Functioning skill system.
  • Revised side missions with more twists and turns.
  • All story chapters fully implemented.
  • Side missions fully implemented.
  • Continue with AI improvements.
  • Expanded world: More things to discover, explore and find.

We're going all out on awesome-looking rain!

There's actually a fair chunk more that I could add to this but I'm going to reveal that when the time comes. I've hope you've enjoyed following along this year, here's to another great year of progress! Be sure to wishlist the game on Steam if you haven't already, and head on over to our Discord server too.

@ColeJefferies
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2021, 12:22:39 AM »

Shut up and take my money already!
But seriously, if you hadn't had me hooked with the pure graphics already, you would have had me with the CCTV and hacking. All the best to you and your project, I'll be following the progress!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2021, 12:38:20 AM »

Welcome back! Hope you're well. Game is looking better than ever. Kiss I guess the noir setting tricked me into thinking it would be set in an era before computers, so those took me quite by surprise. But I'm all for it. Congrats on publisher stuff!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2021, 12:45:25 AM »

The update looks and sounds amazing, looking forward to seeing further progress!
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2021, 02:35:20 AM »

Art style is still looking great! And I'm thrilled to read that you derailed a bit from the pure procedural approach and plan to incorporate stories. Nothing beats human-made content in my books.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2021, 05:12:23 AM »

Thanks all! I have another update for you today. We ended up running a small closed alpha, and this is about the findings from that. We've learned a lot and there's so much to talk about that I thought it was probably time for another dev blog update.

Me booting up the cruncher to write another dev blog entry.

Why a limited closed alpha?
Initially, we wanted to have a slightly more open alpha, but given the stage of development the game is at right now we didn't want to be overwhelmed with feedback. We thought a smaller amount of more in-depth feedback and a close look at how players were interacting with the game would be the most beneficial. We chose the relatively low number of 250 participants and the Go Testify service we worked with to get as much info as possible. For obvious reasons we haven't been able to demo the game at any game shows as of late, and I personally find them really helpful to look at how folks are interacting with the game: So I'm really happy that our closed alpha mimicked this type of feedback pretty closely.

The street scenes are good right now, but they will get even better with more props, bigger cities, and more unique locations.

So what did we learn? Some of you reading this may have played the alpha, but many may not have, so I'll give as much context as possible so this makes sense. I'll probably spend more text talking about what needs work rather than what we're getting right, so it might seem a little imbalanced but rest assured this alpha has really bolstered my confidence in where we're at and where to go (so it was easily worth it for that alone).

I'll start by addressing the most obvious thing and give it it's own paragraph; the game was very buggy. Ideally, I would have liked to get it into a better shape before pushing the big red button, but I fell into the classic game dev time management trap of thinking some things would take a shorter amount of time than they ultimately did. So thanks to everyone who played and put up with the bugs. We think we're aware of just about all of them now, so it will be a case of working through them during the rest of development.

More bugs than we'd like.

What did people like?
-It was very rewarding to see people spend time in and generally enjoy the world we've created. Each of us, perhaps above all, wanted to create somewhere that felt really atmospheric, and I think in that respect we're 100% on the right track, and we'll continue to create this weird dystopic world of Shadows.

-Minus some obvious bugs, the proc gen was working to create some interesting scenarios, and broadly speaking a world that players wanted to explore.

-The game often kept people playing past (sometimes way past) our planned 1-hour target.

-We're really pleased with some of the 'oh wow' moments players occasionally get, but I actually don't want to spoil any in the blog.

We're really pleased with the rain in the game, and you liked it too!

What do we need to work on?
-The user interface caused some problems: Some things just weren't quite intuitive or obvious enough and we'd really like to improve this so players can interact with the game properly. It's a super important thing to get right. The community has already provided some fantastic ideas, and we're now able to learn a lot by looking at the closed alpha screen recordings.

-The tutorial level still needs improvement and iteration: Too much information is being presented to the player at once, silly oversights on my part are causing confusion, and there aren't enough safe opportunities for players to experience stealth, sneaking or breaking and entering mechanics.

-The tutorial also lacks prompts towards the end, and there is definitely not enough end-of-case feedback. We want to revise the way cases are concluded including giving the players some clear objectives from the start about what they are aiming to achieve in the case. Note: This is different from 'hand-holding', which we don't really want to do more of.

-Features that are planned but just weren't ready in time for the alpha were causing some frustrations, especially key mapping along with some other control options.

What would be good to build upon or pivot more towards?
-It was wonderful to see how a lot of players liked to live and roleplay within the world. We're pretty keen to enable this, so we'd really like to give the everyday items in the game more meaning through carefully handled status effects (these will often be buffs or minor debuffs so as not to interfere too much with the investigative element of the investigative element the gameplay). We like the idea of something like grabbing a coffee if you're tired; it gives meaning to some of the world elements we've worked hard to bring to life. There are certain other gameplay aspects largely not talked about yet that I hope will also lend well to this. I'm actually super excited about this side of things because it lets me play around with the kind of smaller-scale detail that I get a kick out of.

-The city needs to be bigger and features more variations. In the alpha the city was small, largely due to the game being unoptimized. We're really keen to open up the world some more and give you more to explore; it's one of the first things on our list. A bigger city also naturally opens up the gameplay, so I'm super keen to get this rolling.

-People enjoyed the systemic gameplay, but in many places, the AI wasn't up to the task; it needs more iteration and a variety of reactions to create interesting scenarios. One example that came up quite a lot was their reaction to dead bodies- they kind of don't so much right now. We're keen to remedy that along with more varied reactions to violence and catching the player.

The locations are very limited in the alpha version, but we hope to expand these very soon.

So there we have it. Is something you fed back not on the above list? We're likely aware: I have plotted just about everything mentioned in a feedback tracker and the above are just the broad strokes. There are dozens of nuances and smaller things that I'm confident will get done or addressed in some way.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who participated; your feedback is valuable and your ideas are appreciated. It's sometimes not so easy to dive into feedback on something you've been working on closely for years, but just about everything said was constructive and there was a hell of a lot of great and realistic ideas for improvement, so I've been really chuffed with that. I'd also like to thank those that didn't get a chance to play- we chose a random selection as we thought that would be fairest. Rest assured that when you play the game will be in a far superior state. Ears will be open throughout the rest of the development process.

@ColeJefferies
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2021, 05:27:26 AM »

I think 250 players is still quite a significant size for many indy titles Cheesy

Looks like you got some very valuable insights into which pain points need a bit of work from it though!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2021, 07:21:38 AM »

Welcome back! 250 sounds like a lot to me too Cheesy Really nice post, fun to read how it all went and what you took from it. Still think this looks amazing and looking forward to release. Hadn't seen the lightning before, very cool! Is the off kerning on the "m" in "laundromat" intentional? Tongue

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: July 30, 2021, 05:06:34 AM »

Haha thanks Smiley and thanks for pointing that out I hadn't noticed!

@ColeJefferies
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic