Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:35:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Shadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game  (Read 27026 times)
Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2019, 09:15:59 AM »

This looks really interesting artstyle-wise and the features are interesting on paper. Best of luck and motivation for finishing it.

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2019, 12:57:10 AM »

This looks really interesting artstyle-wise and the features are interesting on paper. Best of luck and motivation for finishing it.

Thanks!  Smiley

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:38 PM »

2 years well-spent if you ask me!

I just watched Zodiac with Mark Ruffalo et al. Has to be the most engrossing movie I've seen all year and I've seen Endgame Tongue

I absolutely love the aesthetic of good true crime that immerses you in the total chaos of humans living their lives and interacting with each other. The idea that you might never have a single suspect that fits every last piece of evidence--and that people's memories will change. And also, the thought that serial killers ultimately don't kill more people than random accidents, so why are you obsessed, Jake Gyllenhaal, WHY?!

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »

The project description is speaking directly to me, it seems. I love every aspect of it! What tools are you using to create voxel art? I've seen a one called Magicka (spelled like that I think). Did you make the tool yourself?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »

True Detective season 3, y'all! Also, did I already post this link in this thread? https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule

negator2vc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »

Realy nice idea! And the art really help create the necessary 'detective' atmosphere!!!

Don Oskar
TIGBaby

Composer + Audio Design

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2019, 06:12:40 AM »

It was a pleasure the read this devlog, this project genuinely excites me! You capture the noir aesthetic so well! Looking forward to whats in store.

Composer
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »

jesus christ this looks cool
RepulseGames
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 06:19:20 AM »

A pretty awesome idea and a creative art style. One thing I would love to see is some variety in the civilians. That would really make it look like they are real people with real lives.   Grin
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »

Oh man, so sorry I've been neglecting this thread a bit! I've been super super busy with the game getting a build ready to pitch around- unfortunately my updates suffered, but I'm back to normal now.

2 years well-spent if you ask me!

I just watched Zodiac with Mark Ruffalo et al. Has to be the most engrossing movie I've seen all year and I've seen Endgame Tongue

I absolutely love the aesthetic of good true crime that immerses you in the total chaos of humans living their lives and interacting with each other. The idea that you might never have a single suspect that fits every last piece of evidence--and that people's memories will change. And also, the thought that serial killers ultimately don't kill more people than random accidents, so why are you obsessed, Jake Gyllenhaal, WHY?!

Yes! Zodiac is one of the biggest film inspirations behind this project for sure.

The project description is speaking directly to me, it seems. I love every aspect of it! What tools are you using to create voxel art? I've seen a one called Magicka (spelled like that I think). Did you make the tool yourself?

Thanks! Glad you like the look of it- I'm using qubicle for the voxel art. The main reason being that it can output UVs that I can use to make normal maps etc.

True Detective season 3, y'all! Also, did I already post this link in this thread? https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule
I've seen this before (think you did?) But it's super useful. I need to refer to that more now the groundwork is in place (see my new post below this).

Thanks negator2vc, Don Oskar, Superb Joe!

A pretty awesome idea and a creative art style. One thing I would love to see is some variety in the civilians. That would really make it look like they are real people with real lives.   Grin

Absolutely on the to-do list. It badly needs it. I'm hopefully going to get a character artist to make them, the ones now are just placeholder

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2019, 09:05:42 AM »

It's been a while since my last entry- over 3 months to be exact. The reason for this is because shortly after the last one, I started searching for publishers to partner with for Shadows. I've had a lot of interest, but completely understandably, they want to play it before committing. That meant I had to put a build together that was somewhat playable- as any long term followers might know that milestone had been eluding me for some time.

I'm super pleased to say that milestone has now been reached! With the help of Nick Dymond, who I've joined forces with to provide sound expertise, we've managed to get the first vertical slice build working. It's still rough, janky and lacking a lot of content, but I'm pleased with it. The first basic mission is in, and although it's very linear right now, hopefully, it's enough to catch a glimpse into the direction the project is heading in. Consider this the first foundations; lots of core systems now ready to be expanded upon.

Since the last update, we also now have a Steam Page! Please, please, please if you haven't wishlisted us yet- consider doing so, as it can really help at this stage.

Although our first vertical slice build isn't publicly playable, I did record a playthrough video, which totals about 20 minutes of gameplay footage. Check it out:

Still really rough- and this is really just the foundations of the gameplay (hence no serial killers yet Sad). But hopefully, you get the idea.

@ColeJefferies
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »

Very cool video! I think you did a good job putting together a 'playable idea'. Even if it's only playable by the dev who knows how to not break anything, it sure helps to explain how the game works.

Have you considered not pausing the game while reading documents and similar activities? Some stealth games do this and it helps creating tension. The camera needs to be somewhat free to look around while inspecting documents though. In other words, exactly how you are doing lockpicking! the wait time isn't there for realism, I suppose, but to create tension.

Hope you get a publisher deal  Coffee

Karlipoppins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »

This is such an awesome project and devlog, thanks for those updates throughout the past two years!
One of my favorite game as a teen was Under a Killing Moon and I've been a sucker for detective games ever since.
Good luck with your upcoming milestones!
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »

Great stuff! Wishlisted on Steam. Panda
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2019, 06:33:36 AM »

Ya-yeet ska-skeet wishlist complete

I've finally gotten back to the Hannibal TV series. It's messing with my head--Hannibal is such a manipulative gaslighter. Would be cool to see killers in this game deliberately manipulate facts/testimonies and play with the player's sense of reality.

MrCobble112
Level 0

Yup

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »

So pumped for this game!!! Smiley
GamesInHouse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »

This game looks like it has a good amount of depth.  Looking forward to its progress.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »

Already praised the video on Twitter but doesn't hurt to show support here too! It's looking absolutely amazing now. Kiss

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2019, 04:00:12 AM »

Very cool video! I think you did a good job putting together a 'playable idea'. Even if it's only playable by the dev who knows how to not break anything, it sure helps to explain how the game works.

Have you considered not pausing the game while reading documents and similar activities? Some stealth games do this and it helps creating tension. The camera needs to be somewhat free to look around while inspecting documents though. In other words, exactly how you are doing lockpicking! the wait time isn't there for realism, I suppose, but to create tension.

Hope you get a publisher deal  Coffee

Thanks! Definitely going to be playing around with the pausing in relation to evidence, as you suggest it maybe feels a bit too safe right now. The other argument is that I will probably want to include a lot of flavour text in the various documents and clues you find, and I wouldn't want the player to be put off reading that because of the stealth element.

@ColeJefferies
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2019, 04:01:04 AM »

Thank you everybody for your support & kind words. <3

@ColeJefferies
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic