Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1370252 Posts in 64449 Topics- by 56501 Members - Latest Member: liquidpigstudios

December 09, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Shadows of Doubt - A First-Person Detective Stealth Game  (Read 7409 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2019, 07:20:47 PM »

subs

NovaSilisko
Level 2

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2019, 08:20:39 PM »

Thanks! Definitely going to be playing around with the pausing in relation to evidence, as you suggest it maybe feels a bit too safe right now. The other argument is that I will probably want to include a lot of flavour text in the various documents and clues you find, and I wouldn't want the player to be put off reading that because of the stealth element.

Game option, IMO  Smiley If the player wants the extra tension you can keep it on (it can be on by default as well), but both arguments have merit so hey - roll with both. Plus pause-for-reading would be real helpful for people who might take longer to read it. My dyslexic friends would appreciate that a bunch.

Anyway - this project really is something. The scope of it blows my mind, and I look forward to it.

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2019, 06:49:05 AM »

I’ve been working on quite an exciting new feature for Shadows this month: Procedurally generated ventilation shafts! If you don’t play many games then that might sound incredibly boring, but to any seasoned FPS or immersive sim player then hopefully that sounds excellent.

One of the biggest things missing from the gameplay right now is multiple ways to get in and out of locations: The choice-driven stealth gameplay I’m shooting for requires that the player is given a choice in how to infiltrate their places of interest. Before this update, there was only the front door, and in the future, there will be yet more options including fire escapes and windows. But one of the biggest tasks on my to-do list was these air ducts that the player can crawl through to get places they shouldn’t.

Originally the ducts appeared on the exterior of buildings by accident, but I figured they looked way too cool to get rid of.

Previously in the project, I briefly toyed with having a more realistic air duct system as described in this article. I have kept a few issues in mind, although in the end, I decided to prioritize gameplay over realism- and with that, I decided to leave my air ducts at the mercy of procedural generation. The air ducts are completely procedurally generated within each building. Even if two or more share a similar floor plan then the shaft system within each will still be completely different, and your infiltration routes and options will be different too.

Going into the technical side of things a little: Basically, in the configuration settings I have for each room, I’ve added range variables for how many air vents can be added. For example, a bathroom might have one, or a kitchen, but less likely a lounge area. So when the rooms are generated they will also look for a place to put an air vent; often in the ceiling but sometimes high up on a wall or (less likely) closer to ground level on a wall. So now we’ve got all the points where we want the vents to be in the building.

Next up I map all the available space that the ducts can use. Mostly this is the space between ceiling and floors, but it can also cover spaces inside maintenance closets and even space outside the building. Now I have this space mapped out and the points I need to connect, I can simply use an A* pathfinding routine to connect points together- this becomes the path of the ducts. With every path calculation, I can weight already-placed ducts so the game won’t create air ducts which run immediately parallel to each other.

This is what the duct system looks like minus room and building models.

As with the walls/floors/ceilings, I have a different model for each possible turn/junction of duct- this is how it’s possible to create them. They all share the same material within unity, so I can easily combine them together to form one model and keep performance high.

It’s working really nicely! When inside the player can freely climb up and down vertical duct sections too. One last thing that I need to work on (aside from a couple of misc wall bugs) is enabling ducts to be discovered and mapped on the minimap. It would be cool to maybe be able to discover blueprints that map out the ducts and vents of the whole building- adding incentive to research your places of interest before infiltration.

Anyways, that’s it for this update. Progress is going nicely on the game- next up is a focus on improving the AI some more and fleshing out the side mission I showed off a few weeks back. Stay tuned for more soon!

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
meakelange
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2019, 07:49:11 AM »

Wow,
I love the mood, i watched your 20mn video to see more of the game and i'm impressed !
A short question, do you plan to extend the gameplay area ?

Anyway, bravo !
Michel-ange MERINO

Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »

ahhhh the duct crawling system is such a cool addition Kiss Kiss Kiss

GlacierEclipse
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2019, 10:45:45 AM »

Wow this game looks absolutely incredible  Addicted

Honestly what caught my eye were the stunning visuals, I don't think I ever saw such a unique style in a game before..There are a few pixel art/voxel 3d games but this is something else, the only game I can think of right now is The Last Night, a game which was announced a while back and had such a striking style.

The Gameplay though is as unique as the style! I watched the 20 min demo you've uploaded and really enjoyed it.
I have a couple takeaways and questions about the demo, I know the game is heavily in development and the demo doesn't represent the final quality but I'm just curious.

• It currently looks like the only way to solve a case is to use brute force, break into every suspects apartment and try to find the "smoking gun", are there plans to expand on the "mystery" part of it? Like will we get certain motives (that aren't always black and white)? Maybe a system where you gain evidence slowly about each suspect and have a percentage towards who is most likely the right one, and report him or anything of that sort.
  • I think the quality of the content is the most important thing in a procedural generated game, I would really love to see more variety in cases, locations, people, stealth mechanics and constant progress towards some goal in the story.
  • Getting caught looks right now very forgiving, in the demo you opened the door and it took the AI some time to figure out what even happened, I feel like if you didn't take enough cautious steps and got caught you should be immediately punished or have a little small window of opportunity to escape.

The game is honestly something special, I love reading about the progress you make and of course the final product is a definite buy.
If you plan any play testing for it I would love to be in that queue. Smiley
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »

Wow,
I love the mood, i watched your 20mn video to see more of the game and i'm impressed !
A short question, do you plan to extend the gameplay area ?

Anyway, bravo !
Michel-ange MERINO

Yes definitely, at the moment it's quite unoptimized so it makes sense to playtest in a smaller area so I can get in and out the game quickly. In the final thing, I'm aiming for around 60 different buildings on the map.

ahhhh the duct crawling system is such a cool addition Kiss Kiss Kiss

Thanks! Probably one of my favourite additions so far :D

Wow this game looks absolutely incredible  Addicted

Honestly what caught my eye were the stunning visuals, I don't think I ever saw such a unique style in a game before..There are a few pixel art/voxel 3d games but this is something else, the only game I can think of right now is The Last Night, a game which was announced a while back and had such a striking style.

The Gameplay though is as unique as the style! I watched the 20 min demo you've uploaded and really enjoyed it.
I have a couple takeaways and questions about the demo, I know the game is heavily in development and the demo doesn't represent the final quality but I'm just curious.

• It currently looks like the only way to solve a case is to use brute force, break into every suspects apartment and try to find the "smoking gun", are there plans to expand on the "mystery" part of it? Like will we get certain motives (that aren't always black and white)? Maybe a system where you gain evidence slowly about each suspect and have a percentage towards who is most likely the right one, and report him or anything of that sort.
  • I think the quality of the content is the most important thing in a procedural generated game, I would really love to see more variety in cases, locations, people, stealth mechanics and constant progress towards some goal in the story.
  • Getting caught looks right now very forgiving, in the demo you opened the door and it took the AI some time to figure out what even happened, I feel like if you didn't take enough cautious steps and got caught you should be immediately punished or have a little small window of opportunity to escape.

The game is honestly something special, I love reading about the progress you make and of course the final product is a definite buy.
If you plan any play testing for it I would love to be in that queue. Smiley

All these things are true, it's just that early on in development that those things simply aren't in yet. Thanks :D

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 23, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »

I'm trying to transition over to recording video dev blogs, here's the first one:

@ColeJefferies
MrCobble112
Level 0

Yup

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »

OMG! I am so freaking hyped for this game! Keep doing what you're doing man. Grin
Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »

So cool!! Kiss

fuedhq
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »

This is ace stuff! I can´t wait to give it a shot.
I haven´t played FPS games for more than a decade as it all feels the same with a different coat.

Here you have an unique take on the format and also great aesthetics.
Keep it up and keep those videos flowing! Wink
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »

Hey just found this, looks amazing. I've always wanted to play more first-person sim-like stuff but I'm not into like gritty cyberpunk or stuff like that. This looks great!

ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »

My next video update is here! I talked about the UI stuff I've been working on in this one. Plus you can now draw moustaches on people.

@ColeJefferies
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic