Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:00:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSHUMP - A Platformer blended with a Shoot 'em Up. NOW AVAILABLE!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: SHUMP - A Platformer blended with a Shoot 'em Up. NOW AVAILABLE!  (Read 15695 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 08:33:08 AM »

Hey Folks,

Here's the weekly update! Oh, what I lot I have to discuss!

So for context, I went to a games event last week and had opportunity to sit down with some devs for really in depth conversations on the mechanics and feel of the game, from which a lot of useful information was bought to the forefront. Over the last week, I've implemented a good chunk of those changes, check them out below!

+ Combo Bar -> Power Bar: So the big thing that was mentioned in an ealier post in the week was the power meter that is now fully implemented into gameplay. The premise is rather than the combo using kills as the primary method of increasing it, jumping does. This incentivises jumping and in turn gives reward to the risk of upwards movement, which is counteracted with higher numbers of enemies approaching from the top of the screen. The tempurature method I previously discussed wasn't clear enough and didn't have any satisfying feedback loops (Particularly if you just went slowly). It still wasn't clear what it was doing. The accompanyment of bullets flying out feels really good and also helps you if you get stuck in a tight spot where it's hard to land hits on the boss. You've also got the trade off of abandoning your combo to get a bunch of quick combo shots in.

+ Added some JUICE to powering up: I've made a couple of subtle changes that improve the combo meter, firstly, I've switched it to say "x2 Power up" instead of "x2 Combo", it's a bit less abstract that way, particularly accompanied with the hail of bullets it generates. I've revised the colour of those bullets, making them blue to match the combo meter (Along with creating a ball of blue when you hit the combo). To help cement the link between jumping and generating power, I've made the jump particle blue.

+ Light revision of the character screen: Whilst before you had only the characters you unlocked visible, you know have the silhouettes of the various characters. This should make it clear to the player the volume of content available and give some incentive to keep playing. I also gave them a bunch of names, figured it'd be better than VOLE, WALRUS and FISH.  I've got a mix of names in there, I in particular wanted to make sure there was a mix of differently gendered names (As up till this point, my games have all had male protagonists).

+ Power-up save window: Previously, if you died, any powerups you owned would get scrapped. Now, you have the opportunity to watch a reward ad to save them for the next playthrough. As I look further into creating a score and currency, I will also be looking at giving the player the option to use their in game currency as an alternative (This is done in a variety of other mobile games).

+ Refinement of bosses and several enemies: Previously, the artillery units (Includes the snake boss) had the full effects of gravity influencing their projectiles. This made them very hard to dodge, so I've instead disabled gravity on them and created my own custom forces for them (E.g. apply a constant force of my choosing in a particular direction). This makes them easier to dodge and feel more fair to interact with.

+ Shop further revised: I've made some changes that make the shop much more readable and smooth interaction. Firstly, I've created a barrier you have to walk around to enter the shop, bringing up the offers. (rather than previously, where you could just glide through without interacting). I can't wait to start with the audio and get that shopkeeper doorbell implemented :O
On top of this, I've made a subtle change to how the availability of an item is displayed. If an item is available, the padlock that previously restricted it turns into a flashing arrow, that a single bop to break through will purchase (And will lock up any other purchases).

+ Barrel refurbishment: A small change, but the barrels has had their re-design finished, keeping them in line with the spikes I've plonked an eye in the middle of them and kept their diamond shape.

+ Last death marker: When you die, a tombstone is placed in the next playthrough for where you lost. This is still in development, as currently there's no incentive to reaching that point. There's also some alignment issues, making sure it appears when platforms are beneath it. I may look at adding a marker into the pause screen UI, but haven't decided yet.

+ Refine item art: to bring the in game items more in line with items people would recognise, I've made the upgrade symbol be a bullet (adding another bullet to your primary weapon, rather than the vague upwards symbol that could be interpreted as a boost or jump upgrade) and the random missle weapon is a box with a question mark on the side.

+ UI revised: Despite several considerations to place the healthbar/combo at the top of the screen, I decided to stick with it on the sides. Interestingly, a lot of the changes in the UI design weren't necessarily how it looked, but how it was presented contextually. Rather than referring to it as a combo meter, I took the suggestion of Katy earlier in the project to make it power rather than score related. There's definitely still some work to be done, in particular with getting it to remain in line with the buttons, rather than the top of the screen (On longer phones, the healthbar is sat at the top of the screen which requires more distracting eye movement. I've also integrated a boss healthbar, since the enemy doesn't currently have any animations for different states of health.

+ Redo of the fish and seal characters: I wasn't happy with how seal powerup felt (A weird angle based powerup where your bullets were angled based on your position in the level), so instead I've switched it to have the fish powerup (Bubble explosion on death and slower rising water). The new fish powerup is a trail of bubbles as you leap upwards, to kill enemies beneath you.

+ Piles of little tweaks and refinements! It's reaching a point in the project (Thankfully) that the bulk of the heavy lifting is done and I'm onto refining systems. A lot of tweaking has gone into gameplay, such as making sure the correct projectiles show up in the correct levels, making the faster enemy bullets have the right animation show up, making sure the timer is aligned correctly, changing the colour of the settings button in X format. Once again, if you want to see how the changes are being made, check out the lists of stuff to do and whether they have +, - or x next to them.

STUFF TO DO:

- Implement ads
- Plan and implement final boss/level
+ Extend level further
- Look into having a currency seperate to the scoreboard (At the least a tangible collectible released from dead enemies)
- Add extra stats on the flipside of the scoreboard
- Disable powers on game over screen
- Implement flow mechanics to make it easier/harder based on previous playthroughs (something to experiment with)
- Get sound/music in
- Implement a bullet soak enemy (really wide enemy that takes a lot of hits (And fires back bullets that hit it from it's mouth?)
- Get rid of an exploit that allows you to harvest items/upgrades
- Icon design
- Possibly look at a similar daily reward for
- Implement the save powerup (Gives you a checkpoint at one of the shops, letting you start the game from further up)
- Smaller, cheaper armour upgrades?
- Reward ad popup on character select?
- Build settings menu into start screen
- Set up hog and rhino attributes?
- Add pause symbol to game screen
- Splash water on death
- Look at adding beams/rings to boss explosions?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:54:29 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »

Hey Folks! Super quick update: I've got a testflight ready for Baboom, let me know if you want to give it a test!

Also here's the new menu. At the start of the game it'll just be the play button, once you've killed the first boss you'll have this display.

More soon!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »

hey homie hit me with the demo, i'll give it a shot. i'm on iOS

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:35 PM »

Looking fantastic Alex, always nice to see a familiar face 'round these parts!

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 05:11:41 AM »

hey homie hit me with the demo, i'll give it a shot. i'm on iOS

Build Sent!

Looking fantastic Alex, always nice to see a familiar face 'round these parts!

Haha, good to see you too! Let me know if you want a build shooting over.

Here's a gif of the revamped fifth boss in action, made them a bull as I felt a rhino was a poor choice!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2018, 07:37:45 PM »

hey dude ive been playing and having fun! here are my feedbacks on this build:

on holding up: it's pretty good. i'm on the fence as to just *how* good, some enemy spawns and jump-ins can throw this gameplan off course. feels like it's the best way to output the most damage and move through the level fastest. i used <>^ control scheme so i could just hold up a lot and still steer. just food for thought.

on platform shot blockers: i think they're a bit too abundant on Plains right now. i like the challenge they provide of either moving or shooting through to get your shots off, currently it feels like a tidal wave of them and makes it tough to target enemies.

on menus: some more text would be nice.

bug report: once grabbed a mystery box/item and my run reset back to the start.

i have a lot of faith in this project dude, keep doing what you're doing. variety is the spice of life here, keep every run fresh and keep packing in those surprises. the gameplay loop is a hit and perfect for mobile. everything looks quite nice, i'm on an iPhone 10 and the top black bar holding the cameras blocks some score information at the top. just a heads up.

keep going strong bud CoolHand Thumbs Up Right hit me with a new build whenever !

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »

hey dude ive been playing and having fun! here are my feedbacks on this build:

on holding up: it's pretty good. i'm on the fence as to just *how* good, some enemy spawns and jump-ins can throw this gameplan off course. feels like it's the best way to output the most damage and move through the level fastest. i used <>^ control scheme so i could just hold up a lot and still steer. just food for thought.

on platform shot blockers: i think they're a bit too abundant on Plains right now. i like the challenge they provide of either moving or shooting through to get your shots off, currently it feels like a tidal wave of them and makes it tough to target enemies.

on menus: some more text would be nice.

bug report: once grabbed a mystery box/item and my run reset back to the start.

i have a lot of faith in this project dude, keep doing what you're doing. variety is the spice of life here, keep every run fresh and keep packing in those surprises. the gameplay loop is a hit and perfect for mobile. everything looks quite nice, i'm on an iPhone 10 and the top black bar holding the cameras blocks some score information at the top. just a heads up.

keep going strong bud CoolHand Thumbs Up Right hit me with a new build whenever !

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Should be a new build over in the next few days, with any luck I'll have addressed most of your fixes. When you say more text, you mean a title for things like menus? (E.g. Home button would have the word home beneath it?)

Here's a pretty significant change I've made:

Scrolling platforms: Previously, the game had rising spikes, but they were obstructing the screen. Instead, the game now constantly scrolls and you climb upwards against it. To not completely step away from the original movement, I've made it so if you rise into the top third of the screen, the camera pans up at the speed of the player. This means you can still take the risk of rushing upwards, but there's a higher risk of encountering enemies. Because the camera is no longer constantly attached to the player, it also grants you more methods of movement around the screen (Rather than being locked to the bottom 3/4 distance of the camera).

This should be easy to integrate with a flow system (if you're losing a bunch, slow the scrolling down, if you're winning a bunch, scroll up).

This element is still very much work in progress, I'll be figuring out whether I'll be keeping this once I get home and try it on an iphone!

Will have a full update tomorrow!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2018, 07:59:11 AM »

Here's some extra gifs I've added to the start of the thread (So you're greeted with the latest content!)

Enjoy!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »

When you say more text, you mean a title for things like menus? (E.g. Home button would have the word home beneath it?)

yes, just a word for each button would suffice. certain folks will be drawn by either the symbol or the word, i'm a word dude but i think having both there will accommodate both.

by the way, that change to the scrolling mechanisms look dope

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2018, 07:15:51 AM »

Hey Folks!

Another weekly update:

Stuff that's been implemented:

+ Currency Revision: Previously, the game was point based which made it a bit too abstract. I've replaced this with a coin based system, which solves several problems:
1. Adds different paths through level to collect coins and risk reward to staying on platforms (Do I rush through and make progress or stay back and scoop up coins)
2. Tangible currency that has a more quantifiable value than before
3. Stops the upgrade scales getting too crazy huge
4. Makes boss deaths look more pretty
5. Makes more sense in the shop (Having a clear currency)
6. More on screen activity!

+ Scrolling Screen: As mentioned in earlier posts, the camera now scrolls independent to the player and the player must keep up. I've linked this to the level number, so over time it gets faster and faster!

+ New Enemies: Level 2 will now feature a bloated enemy that will explode if shot too many time into flies that will rush the player!

+ Separating of enemies: To try and create a more memorable experience, I've divided the enemies into specific levels. I've been on and off with this idea throughout the project, but I think this is the best decision.

+ Spikes on level 1 boss can be shot: Initially, the spikes would fall and hit you irrespective, but they didn't have the colour of projectiles and were the shape of the divebombing enemies. So, instead of straddling the middle and making the situation more confusing, I changed their colour and made them shootable (Kill in 3 shots)

+ Amendments to Player characters: The hog now shoots a beam when jumps and the bull I'm still in the middle of figuring out.

+ ROBOT BOSSES: Got the final twist of the game integrated, with two of the three final bosses designed!

+ Barriers removed: Previously, the game had chunky barriers that gave you and the enemies cover, but I feel like this slows gameplay down and confuses players, so I've completely removed them from the game. 

Here's what I've got to do from here!
- Figure out what I want for the Bull player
- Integrate sound
- Implement music
- Icons/promo art
- Ads
- Another round of optimisation
- Slow-mo bullet rate needs reducing
- Tweaks and refinements to the
- Automating of the upgrade tree
- Final boss completing
- Game ending/credits
- Infrastructure for more characters to be added post release
- Revising of the power-up button/display
- Set minimum height for enemy robots to attack from (That directly target you)
- Fix remainder of bullet colour issues
- Renaming of levels
- Finalising scaling issues of UI elements
- Add option to pay with coins for keeping powerups?
- Flow mechanics to camera speed

More soon!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »

love how these changes sound, i think the decision to remove barriers is the right one. hit me with the new build whenever.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2018, 01:30:46 PM »

Hey Folks!

Sorry for a bit of a lapse in updates to this, will have a bunch of cool stuff I've been working on tomorrow, here's a sneak preview!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2018, 06:24:23 AM »

Hey Folks!

Here’s a big ol’ update of stuff I’ve been up to with SHUMP!

First thing: SHUMP! This is the new name of the game. I had issues with getting a hold of the name, Baboom on the app store, would've meant having all sorts of weird alternative names such as BABOOOM or BABOOM! (Only available for UK). The name itself was the core inspiration of the game, as drawing the creature (A baboon with a gun jutting out of it's head) combined with my critiques of a vertical platformer, but it's pretty redundant now that I have a variety of characters/8 months has passed since coming up with the intial concept. Not considering a review of the original name would be ridiculous. Shump itself came off the back of a variety of polling and experimentation with different titles. I opted for SHUMP for it's single sylable nature, easy to pronounce, play on words on the word shmup but also combo of the words jUMP and SHoot.

Here's the list of other stuff that I've implemented!

+ Sound: I've spent the last few days integrating audio into SHUMP and can't imagine playing the game without it! It's kind of surreal how long I left it to get this element of the project done, but I've got some tasty noises in the project. There's still a decent chunk yet to integrate (And a whole other level of designating sounds to certain channels/setting levels of audio), but I'm at least making progress on this area.

+ Music: This area isn't absolutely confirmed yet, but I've found a musician to work with on the project and they've produced an amazing sounding demo track that when integrated with the new audio puts a big stupid grin on my face. Has a Battleblock Theatre vibe to the soundtrack. My intention for the project is a peaceful soundtrack for the main menu and an intense gameplay soundtrack for the main level. Unlike Corporate Salmon which had 6-8 different tracks, this will probably only need 2.

+ Final boss integrated! After a bunch of experimentation, I've created the final boss for SHUMP. It's a larger version of the shop boss but with rotating cannons and a beam shot. I'm very excited to see how this feels with audio integrated!

+ Projectile visual overhaul: Not only have I merged the majority of the projectiles under one actor type (E.g. Rather than having bird projectile and explodey projectile, the movement behaviour of the actors are handled inside of the enemies themselves (E.g. Make the last actor created move in this direction and be this colour)), but I've revised how they look. After seeing other bullet hell games having white highlights to their projectiles, I was considering something similar but it looked pretty out of place. Instead, I've made an initial highlight that disappears after being spawned in. As a side effect of the projectiles spinning rapidly to hide their jagged sides, it creates this delicious whirling effect, which looks particularly amazing on the new boss' beam attack.

+ Title integration: I've added a title that appears once you start the game, but doesn't show up again unless you go back to the main menu and then play again. I'll with any luck be accompanying this with a bit-crunched voicing of the title, "SHUMP!"

+ Revising of the level titles: I've bought the design of these in line with the title text, for one reason that they've not been changed since super early on in the project and adds a layer of polish to the design.

+ Built flow mechanics: I've built the functionality for collecting data to do flow mechanics, BUT haven't found a way to apply them yet. What I mean by this is I collect the score of the last 3 runs, add together, divide by 3 then use that number to alter variables in the project. I intially thought about adding this variable to the starting enemy tally (So if you're kickass you get a burst of enemies to start of with) but in reality it just meant you got a deluge of enemies then back to sensible amounts. Will definitely need some nuanced and tinkering with to get right.

+ High score acknowledgement: When you beat your current high score, you'll get some tasty confetti descending from the ceiling.

+ Overhauled player unlock prices: A simple adjustment that still could need some refinement, I've upped the prices of the player characters since I was able to unlock all of them far too quick before! This will definitely need some tweaking as one of my gripes is having to over-grind for character unlocks.

+ Lives Overhaul: From the feedback I recieved, a lot of people reported feeling cheated by the game and that the lives system was unfair/needed a way to replenish lives. At the time of this feedback, the earliest characters in the game had 2 lives each. I've realised that this is a super terrible way to do lives, because if you die quickly, you're already half dead and therefore it isn't worth continuing a run, whilst if you've lost only 1/3 lives, there's enough of an incentive to keep going. So, I've made it that the default player has 3 lives. I acknowledge this may reduce my short term revenue from the game, but hope that it might garner long term retention on the project through dedicated players (And avoid losing the less hardcore players at the offset).

+ New Powerup UI Integration: It still needs work, but I've got the new powerup UI design added. the previous didn't match with the rest of the game. I've also made a dynamic UI function that fades the buttons/powerup display based on the Y location of the player, so if they're blocked by it it fades.

+ Overhaul of UI elements: The ad reward function was confusing people, so I've made the various buttons more consistent in design to guide the player. I've also revised the powerup graphics as they looked tacky with their outline, replacing them instead with icons with a nice 3D pop. I've also where I can tried to make the text of the UI more consistent with the logo and level title texts, such as the game over text or GET box in the character select.

+ Coin Candy: Added a tasty little diamond animation for collected coins to give the game an extra layer of polish!

Here's what I have left to do:

- Finalise agreement with musician and integrate soundtrack
+ Figure out what I'm doing with Bull player and in general do a review of all the various character unlocks
- Refine the audio levels and finish integration
- Balance the purchases on the main menu for character unlocks
- Integrate reward ad on character purchases (so you can watch an ad to get some coin!)
- Create end of game screen/ending cinematic
- Create leaderboard infrastructure
- Implement ads
- Revise display of the ad skip (Text is overflowing)
- Refine final section of the game (Robot section)
- Cross promotional functions
- Potentially automate levelling up system (similar to the Shump combo meter)
- Unique bullet death animations for bosses?
- Throw more powerups in on the first few plays
- Integrate alternative way of keeping your powerups (instead of watching an ad, use your in game currency).
- Set height limit to when robot enemies can fire specifically at the player (Some are firing off screen)
- Look at showing only the characters yet to be unlocked on the levelling up screen (So if you've unlocked Cleo, it goes straight to Tito on the levelling up screen).
- Fix misaligned level titles
- Alter shop spawn to reduce lag (E.g. not spawning in a bazillion actors)
- Fix slo-mo issues with bullet speeds messing up
- Bug where bullets stay alive on the screen after pausing (Kill bullets with y speed of 0)

I'll try and bring the weekly updates back on track, so stay tuned for more!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:25:01 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 03:51:31 AM »

Here's a quick gif showing the dynamic buttons in action!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2018, 05:21:20 AM »

Life is short

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2018, 02:06:20 AM »

hey bud just checking in, progress looking snazzy, i'll be giving the new build a spin soon and commenting with my feedback. just wanted to stop by and say that i think it's criminal you haven't received more feedback here and i'd like to encourage you to continue posting here and updating us on your journey. you've been putting in a lot of work and the polish has really started to show on the game. that motivates me to work harder as well. word up Hand Clap Hand Pencil

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2018, 04:22:21 AM »

hey bud just checking in, progress looking snazzy, i'll be giving the new build a spin soon and commenting with my feedback. just wanted to stop by and say that i think it's criminal you haven't received more feedback here and i'd like to encourage you to continue posting here and updating us on your journey. you've been putting in a lot of work and the polish has really started to show on the game. that motivates me to work harder as well. word up Hand Clap Hand Pencil

Aww shucks, these kinds of responses always help boost morale, I’ve also appreciated your persistence in giving me feedback on this thread Tongue

For anyone interested, the latest TF build is up, got a variety of new features as described above in my previous post.

I’m getting pretty low on stuff to add to the project at this point, here’s the remaining things I’m needing to do (There are some tweaks and refinements that I’ll be saving till after I’ve shipped, my target submission date to Apple is the 24th of this month, for a release at some time in October):

- Add leaderboard functionality
- Add unique death particles for bosses
- Add advertisement functionality
- Add iAP functionality
- Add reward ad functionality (For main menu, option to watch an ad for coins)
- Add a prompt about the option for switching controls
- Re-integrate the review button
- Structure the ending of the game
- Make version of player with no gun on head for end of game
- Create credits
- Make score submission function

Here’s the admin launch stuff I need to do:

Come up with a release date
Get a game icon
Write game description
Decide on iAP price
Produce game trailer
Decide on ad provider

Here’s a an extra cool thing btw that came from an error in my code!

As a result of this awesome glitch, I've doubled the number of projectiles that fire out when you SHUMP, helps highlight that something is happening and encourage the player to do it again!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »

Hey Folks,

Here's a quick look at the reward video functionality!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »

Hey Folks,

So the remaining chunk of today has been spent figuring out the ending of the game. My initial plan was to have you climbing through the credits, along with various stats of your progress. Whilst this was a cute idea, it meant generating more level and more faff for players who (IN DLC) will continue their plays. Instead, I've created a pillow that the player can jump on to end the game and activate the credits.

If you sit on the purple pillow, a crown falls on your head, your score will be recorded, the game will end and the credits will roll. For the upcoming release, this will be the only outcome. Once I've shipped the game, my plan to create more content is to create ANOTHER pillow which if you sit on, will drop the gun back onto your head and the game brings you to the start again, retaining your score and ramping up the difficulty. All enemies will have +1 health, robot enemies will be more common and the bosses will have additional challenges, along with alternate bullet hell bosses for each zone (The floating head ones). Completing this run through I think would then end the game with a fancier crown and piles of gold. It's kind of silly really the more I think about it, the number of players that will ACTUALLY reach this point in the game is probably extremely low, it's maybe something I can alleviate in future updates to make sure there's options for more casual players.

My mouse has run out of battery, so I might take this as an excuse to sign off of work today. Keep an eye out for more content as I'm approaching release!

Stay tuned for more soon!

RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2018, 02:47:15 AM »

Just jumping in to say that I love the look of this and can't wait to see you launch it.

Congrats on what you've done so far and all the best with the final thing!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic