Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411977 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 01:35:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSHUMP - A Platformer blended with a Shoot 'em Up. NOW AVAILABLE!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: SHUMP - A Platformer blended with a Shoot 'em Up. NOW AVAILABLE!  (Read 15853 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2018, 10:15:07 AM »

Just jumping in to say that I love the look of this and can't wait to see you launch it.

Congrats on what you've done so far and all the best with the final thing!

Thank you very much! Appreciate you popping in on the thread, every comment helps motivate me to keep at it!

Hey Folks,

Here's a quick update with some exciting developments!

First, I wanted to do a quick side by side video to show how far the project has come since March. Having given the game a play in that state, it's improved in so many ways since then!

Second, here's some extended footage of gameplay! I haven't been able to add the music yet since I'm finalising things with the musician, but you'll be the first to know when it happens!

Here's some stuff I've implemented over the last few days:

+Credits are now implemented: After the player settles on the victory pillow, the camera pans up from them and you get the various names of the folks who worked on the project and at the very end, a breakdown of your gameplay stats!

+ Reduced difficulty of final bosses: Previously the enemies were super difficult to beat, with long beams of bullets that were hard to surpass. I've now made the bullet sprays be reduced based on the remaining boss health (E.g. Full health, only 2 bullets, 25 health 5 bullets fired).

+ It's super minor, but I've added the shop entry bell. Go to 2:08 in the extended gameplay footage to hear it!

+ Reward video for coins: As stated in earlier the earlier post, I've got a pop-up available like I did in Corporate Salmon which offers you the option to watch a video to bag 100 coins.

+ Gun-less player: For end section of the game, I made various versions of the player with no gun on their head (after you kill the final boss)

More soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2018, 06:12:11 AM »

Hey Folks,

Here's a quick update with a GIF of the shopkeeper fight scene:

Previously there was a problem with the bullets firing too early and the bullets being too intense far too early, this is something I've now spaced out correctly. Keep in mind since I'm testing this gif at the start of the level (to avoid having to climb the whole thing) there's some extra enemies and titles that aren't meant to be there. More content soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »

Hey Folks!

So a cool update! I've got a hold of an iPhone X, and Lordy, this game is very fun to play on there (Super smooth and the long screen is very cool!)

There was a particular moment where I was expecting the game to chug and it just fired a hail of bullets out effortlessly and I was like woah...

It does however come with it's own fair share of issues; the score is clipped off, the buttons are uncomfortably close to the bottom of the phone and most importantly, the alignment of the bosses is now misaligned (E.g. The bat bosses projectiles barely reach you and in turn certain projectiles don't reach them in return!) I've got 2 weeks to get the game working as functionally as possible for both the iPhone X and the rest of their devices (before I have to return the device), so the clock is well and truly ticking!

Keep an eye out for a swish video of the game on the X in the coming days!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2018, 11:29:05 PM »

Hey Folks!

So having done some extensive testing over the last day, here's a list of fixes, improvements (but not absolutely necessary if push comes to shove) and fixes for iPhone X!

FIXES
+ Bullet arrow leap bug (Might just be my shitty phone?)
- Random bullets staying alive on screen? (Check X/Y speed upon being unpaused)
- Fix bullet speed issues in slomo
+ Audio levels are still way off
+ Beam shot makes barrel particles shoot significantly further
+ Mid tier enemies have too unpredictable death projectiles
+ Shell enemy needs death pow/possible screen shake
+ Revise power-up prices?
+ Revise costs per unlock
+ Atlas organising
+ Make sure beams make armour dink noise
+ Have a longer gap between final boss and cannon popping off - EMPHASISE IT MORE
- Make sure all bosses make explosion noise
+ Set cap on the number of dive bombers (to avoid serious overlap)
+ Speed up the firing times of various enemies (Level moves too fast for many of them)
+ Scatter boss coins around (To improve performance)
+ Make it so coins can go off top of screen without deletion
- Do a graphical purge of the project (Get rid of irrelevant enemy characters/bullets)
- Focus issues w/ music (Stopping upon focus being lost)
+ Game Breaking bug which breaks main menu when focus is lost transitioning back to menu
+ Spikes spawn wrong in slomo (Need to revise method of spawning)
+ Re-orient buttons/notification window
+ Coins need to remain active upwards (Make sure actor isn’t killed for exiting top of screen)
- Tighten coin bounce edge range?
+ Boss bull graphic unlock wrong (possibly on progress meter too)
+ Figure out optimal alignment for notification window/buttons
+ Change input at end of credits (Have tangible buttons)
+ Invaders take smaller vertical steps (possibly even look at upwards climbing???)
+ Shorten beams (stagger them based on stages) for beam roof boss
+ Increase velocity of powerups to make sure you don’t lose them all in one go (based on height of death)
+ Stop the powerups dying from leaving the top of screen
+ Snazzy menu button transitions (for when you start game)
+ Cut stars out of 5th level (ALREADY ENOUGH UNITS)
- Ability to unpause if focus lost
+ Boss beam is red not blue
+ Animation of shop boss still broken on the sides
+ Falling enemy misaligned robot
+ Beam enemy robot fires too fast
+ Beam boss needs to alternate between moves
+ Coins need a sell by date: Have them disappear after 10 seconds

NICE THINGS TO ADD
- Experiment in varied enemy noises
+ Crown on the head of characters that have successfully completed the game
+ End of game music?
- Short intro cinematic?
- Design splash screen
- Unique death particles (Substitutes for the banana particle)
- Automate levelling up after a certain threshold (After 20 levels)
+ Can the tiles along the sides be cut out to free up space?
+ Switch out timer for “about game” button on main menu
+ Get a twitter link in there!
+ Powerup UI needs further revision
+ Settings buttons scale down when hiding (So doesn’t look as weird)
+ Death animation/decal (Little bloop)
- Better boss transition in (Rather than just popping in)
- Scorched earth from cannon impact at start of game (In contrast to green field)
+ Make upgrade scale look even snazzier
- Look at list function in Corporate Salmon for storing costumes in

iPhone X FIXES
+ Make iPhone X contingencies:
+ Lower pause button/scores
+ Lower menu buttons
+ Raise player buttons
+ Adjust menu text alignment (what does it use to align to)
+ Adjust top row buttons (Leaderboards/Settings/Ad disable)
+ Spikes wrong height for iPhone X - Can’t see 90% of them
+ Credits camera height is off (needs adjusting for iPhone X
+ Adjust game over screen for iPhone X
+ Alter coin spray alignment on character purchase
+ Lower the height of the various minibosses

I'll update this list as the day goes on and I burn through it's objectives! Stay tuned for more soon!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:53:30 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:29 PM »

Hey Folks!

Hyper quick update (as it's quarter to 1 in the morning and I'm up in 3 hours!)

I've been hammering out changes in the project over the last few days to get iPhone X compatibility in place before launch. I'll be doing a thorough breakdown of changes and improvements I've implemented, but for now, go back to my last post and note which - symbols have been changed into + symbols (which should indicate what I managed to get done!)

One big thing that has been confirmed is the music for the project, so expect that featuring in upcoming footage!

Within the next week I'll hopefully be uploading some slick footage from the iPhone X, I was honestly amazed how smooth it ran in comparison to my 5s (having said that it also infuriated me how much it broke key elements of my game with it's insanely long screen). I'll be doing a post on that on here!

Thanks again for your interest in the project, should be more in the coming days!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »

Hey Folks,

Another quick update, been running workshops so been just focusing on iPhone X compatibility this week and thankfully tonight, as far as I can tell, it's now fully compatible! Will be recording my trailer footage for the App Store tomorrow evening before I need to return it, cannot describe how glad I am I got chance to test it on this device before it went live!

I'll post out something more substantial in the coming days, but here's a taster: https://twitter.com/alexvscoding/status/1032085449760755714

Stay tuned for more soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »

Hey Folks,

So I'm all done on workshops! Back to work on the project. I've really got to say, as much I had an absolute blast getting kids building games and custom controllers, I definitely couldn't go back to teaching AND doing commercial games development simultaneously, it's absolutely shattering!

Here's what I've done over the last week:

+ Full iPhone X compatibility: Can't describe how lucky it was for me to borrow an iPhone X before launch to test the functionality of the game on, oh boy it broke a lot of stuff! Fixes included having actual archways for enemies to climb across and spikes to sit on (To avoid the ridiculousness of floating objects at the top of the screen). Should be recording the trailer and screenshots for the game tomorrow (Or at least enough footage to cover my butt when I return the device!)

+ General tweaking: From checking all enemies are effected by all weapons and play the appropriate audio cue through to fixing the spawn timers of the roof spikes on the first boss, I've done a bunch of little changes. Check out the previous list post to see what I've fixed and what I have left to finish.

+ Device Width compatibility: On top of catering for the vertical spacing of the iPhone X, I've also ensured that all the UI works on various iPad Models. Only the in game titles remain as objects that need centering (and they're only off by the width of a letter!

+ Cute little crown: When you beat the game, the crown you receive at the end will remain on the character that beats it.

+ Revised beam boss: Previously, the beam boss on the 6th level felt unfair to fight (Often not enough room to manoeuvre between beam shots). Now, I've made it fire one beam which bounces off the side wall before cascading off the screen. I may yet make the projectile bounce repeatedly rather than just once for some extra challenge.

I'm currently exhausted from working late last night, so I'll put together my to-do list tomorrow morning and maybe add some more improvements done!

flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:35 PM »

dude i've been playing, everything feels super smooth right now. only issues of note to report are that once on the Plains first boss, i reached the break in the platforms, cleared the remaining enemies, and the boss did not spawn. not quite sure what caused it, and it hasn't happened since. by the way, on my iPhone X there is some clipping on the top HUD. (edit: took a screenshot stupidly thinking it would show where the clipping was, LOL. the center black bar on the iPhone X is causing the issue.) i also wish coins gravitated towards the player when close.

everything else has been smooth sailing and flows together really nicely. keep pushing towards the finish line! Gomez
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 06:53:40 AM by flex$ » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2018, 02:52:48 PM »

dude i've been playing, everything feels super smooth right now. only issues of note to report are that once on the Plains first boss, i reached the break in the platforms, cleared the remaining enemies, and the boss did not spawn. not quite sure what caused it, and it hasn't happened since. by the way, on my iPhone X there is some clipping on the top HUD. (edit: took a screenshot stupidly thinking it would show where the clipping was, LOL. the center black bar on the iPhone X is causing the issue.) i also wish coins gravitated towards the player when close.

everything else has been smooth sailing and flows together really nicely. keep pushing towards the finish line! Gomez

Hey! Thanks for the feedback, I probably should have included a disclaimer that I’ve made iPhone X updates to fix that UI alignment issue but hadn’t updated the TF build! Deffo a mistake to not put that live. The coin gravity idea I might look at integrating into a character or a power up (like in corporate salmon). That boss issue on plains is a new one, not come across that one before!

A quick heads up for everyone, I’ve found out that you can directly record from your phone, so I’ll be posting much more content on the game leading up till release!

https://twitter.com/alexvscoding/status/1033465028329000960?s=21

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »

Hey Folks!

Here's some experiments with posters/branding for the promo art/splash screen!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2018, 01:46:04 AM »

Hey Folks, another quick update as I'm currently on holiday!

Here's a lengthy gameplay video of the latest build with the new soundtrack implemented!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:31:13 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

grayhaze
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »

Well that was an insanely stressful few minutes of video! Grin

This looks amazing, and I can already tell it's going to do well. I'm not sure I have the reflexes to actually play though. Smiley

blackarm
Level 0

VALHALLA

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:08 AM »

cool take on an idea and looks good.
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

Some gifs of gameplay!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2018, 05:05:49 AM »

Hey folks! Here's an update on how things are going!

I went away for a little while on a much needed break before the final push for the project, here's what I got up to work wise whilst away but also what is left to do!

+ Updated explosions: Rather than just a white flash, I've added a rim to the explosion to make the dissipation of the white ball be less harsh. I used a pretty neat trick which I'll post up on here at some point!

+ Revision of projectiles on level 3: Previously, they were the same yellow as the platform which made it very hard to read the bullets passing over. I've now made them a cream colour.

+ Title alignment: this was a pesky one, but now the level titles will remain in correct alignment regardless of width of device.

+ Fixed bull graphics: Since that player had changed,

+ UI Timer: There are 2/3 powerups that have a countdown timer for SHUMP, the x2 Shoot and Slomo. For these, I've created a visual display to see how much time you have before it runs out!

+ Lowered character prices: 10,000 points for the bull felt a little unfair, so I've halved that price along with the other top 3 characters to bring them in line with the 500 incrementing of the rest of the characters (E.g. 500, 1000, 1500, 2000 etc).

+ Tile optimisation: The tiles for the level are used to keep the players/enemies on screen, but up till now they've been placed all the way to the edge of the scene. Because I've been a lazy programmer, I opted for making a reeeaaaaalllly long scene instead of automating the spawning of objects on a short one (Something I'll be looking into post launch). This meant tiles covered the entire height of the scene. I've clipped the tiles down to one row of tiles either side to contain the player/enemies, removing 10,000 tiles from the game! Hopefully should nudge the performance up a little.

Stuff left to do:

+ Implement Leaderboard functionality
+ Implement iAP/Ad disable functionality
+ Implement interstitial adverts
+ Implement reward adverts
- Implement splash screen
- Implement icon
+ Implement new version of soundtrack (Intro and looping section)
+ Implement shop noises
+ Add currency to game over display to make it clear what you're earning
+ Once SHUMP has been displayed, shuffle the "Plains" text down to the start of the screen on replays
+ Currency display on the character select needs re-arranging since it's not clear which number is the player currency or not.
+ The explosive barrel needs to me made a different colour since it was perceived by a player as Green = Good, rather than toxic.
+ Adding a x number of coins till unlock display (E.g. only 70 coins till Tori unlocked!)
- Slower scroll at start of game (a lot of players got whupped on their first few plays from falling off the bottom repeatedly!)
- Write store page description and produce trailers/screenshots.
+ Atlas graphics integration (Need to update my build of Stencyl since it was glitching the last time I tried!)
- Optimise the game (So many redundant assets clogging up the game!)

Other than that, the game is getting super close to finishing! I'll be aiming to wrap the project up and submit to Apple by next week, so hopefully expect more updates on here!

One more thing: I've been updating the icon of the project courtesy of Katy Marshall, any feedback on which of these icons look the best would be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 03:51:26 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »

Hey Folks!

Another quick update!

Here's what I've been up to:

+ Integrating cross promo: At the start of the game now, an advert for Corporate Salmon now plays (With various fish physics involved). Pretty proud of how it looks!

+ Implementation of iAP, leaderboards and the changes to gameplay upon disabling ads

+ Adjusting the sound levels:

+ Getting the various music loops in: The game now has music for the shop,

+ About screen implemented with buttons to check out the various folks in the project's Twitter accounts

+ Added adorable shopkeeper noises (along with the terrifying howl at the end of the game)

+ Tweaked the mid-tier enemy spawning code to make them appear more often!

+ Changed the explosive barrel graphics to make them clearer (And creating a 5 variations instead of 2!)

+ Additional information for progress bar: If you are within 100 coins of reaching the character target, the game will write how many coins you are off reaching that objective and upon levelling up the home bar will light up green and jiggle (AND the character you can now unlock will be automatically selected!)

+ Plains is bought lower after the first play-through (And the SHUMP title has finished displaying). Super subtle stuff but someone who was playing at my last session was confused why the text was where it was.

+ Atlas has been set up to only use graphics/audio when necessary!

STUFF LEFT TO DO:

+ Integrate ads: All of the infrastructure is there, just need to plug in a certain ad provider to test with. Same for reward ads!
x Provide alternative method of keeping your powerups (Big maybe, don't know if just want to get the game shipped at this point)
+ Integrate rating popup (Upon getting your 3rd high score, I'll do a pop-up for rating the game (Best to hit people on their high note rather than a loss).
+ More powerups at the start of the game (Double the spawn rate for the first 3 plays then slowly scale back)
+ Disable the "Disable ads" pop-up in game once ads are purchased
+ Powerup needs better alignment on bosses to make sure it's visible
+ Music for shop needs editing for new version (Stereo version and short intro to link back in)
+ Reward ad cannot run symbol for confirm button
+ Contingencies if ads fail to load!
- Write store page description and produce trailers/screenshots.
- Optimise the game (So many redundant assets clogging up the game!)
- Implement splash screen
- Finalise and implement icon

The final list of things to fix is shrinking, and my intention is today to send off at the least my notification to Apple of my launch date! More on that soon!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:02:09 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »

So good news! Other than the splash screen and logo, SHUMP is now done! There'll obviously be little tweaks and refinements before launch but the game is pretty much there! Unlike my other two projects, development will continue after launch, I've got some big plans for a post launch update, with any luck doubling the play time!

As for now, I'll be working on a trailer tonight and focusing on letting Apple know what my plans for launch is.

Should be announcing the release date at some point this week. Stay tuned for more soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2018, 03:10:59 AM »

Hey Folks!

My preview trailer for SHUMP is up! Is less than the designated 30 seconds but feels like it crams in all that's necessary! Enjoy and share if you can!

ALSO, if you could, would really appreciate a retweet of the trailer on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/alexvscoding/status/1039486807753277440
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:42:26 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »

Hey Folks!

So just an exciting update: I'll be submitting SHUMP to the App Store tomorrow! Once that's done and the game is up for pre-order, I'll plonk the release date on here!

I'll preface this here that this post is going to be pretty dry as I don't have the time to make gifs as I usually do (Need to sleep and will be working non-stop tomorrow on essential stuff, so here's one of the iPad previews of gameplay!

In the meantime, here's what I've updated, I should note a LOT of it is just little tweaks and refinements at this point:

+ Fixed slomo: Did a full play through to make sure that slomo didn't break any of the boss bullet patterns, and sure enough, they did. Thankfully all fixed!

+ Extra noises for final bosses: Until today, the last 3 bosses had limited audio, some guns not even making noise. I've managed to fix that, using audio that isn't too repetitive or harsh. May be doing more updates post launch, such as adding walking sound effects to the roof beam robot.

+ iAP integrated: Nice and easy one, although one thing that I have paused for thought on this time around was the pricing of my game. Unlike Corporate Salmon and Narcissus, I've decided to up my price to £4.99 to remove ads. This might be a huge risk, but there's a couple of reasons for this:
1. Avoiding death on the vine: The ad provider I'm with doesn't pay out for 60 days (Apparently becoming an industry standard) so I'll be relying on iAP (And cross promo to my other apps) for revenue for two months (This I should note is also after 10 months before now since releasing my last app and a good while yet till the game actually launches).  
2. Time/effort/skill invested into the project: I've invested a similar amount of time into SHUMP as Corporate Salmon, but in that time I've become more experienced at my job and therefore the content within it is higher quality and there's more content there! Corporate Salmon basically had the same level, coloured differently with variables altering things like rate of salmon, escalator speed. This isn't to downplay the effort that went into that game (And I do love it) but SHUMP has 6 zones, 20 enemy types and 14 bosses (Plus a lot of the procedural systems that went into Salmon and more!)
3. Easier to drop the price than increase: If it turns out I've made a huge miscalculation and folks aren't happy paying, it's much easier to drop the price back down to £1.99 than it would be to increase the price over time.
4. Models are changing on the App Store that I'm uncertain/uncomfortable with: The Subscription model of paying £6-7 a week without a cap for an ad free version of a game with extra features unlocked I find pretty insidious. Brings back memories of the early mobile storefronts such as Jamster which got kids in hundreds of pounds worth of debt for ringtones: If market forces on the store mean this becomes the norm, I would set a lower fee and a cap at a reasonable amount (£2 a week, cap at £10). For now, the number of people willing to put down £7-8 a week may suggest they'd pay more for a similar priced, one off payment.

+ Reward ad/interstitial integration: I've tried to keep my ads focused around positive experiences for the player; in the final game, there's a voucher system for interstitial ads (Every 3 ads you watch, you get a free powerup, a system that continues if you choose to disable ads), the option of restoring your powerup for watching a reward ad and the ability to watch reward ads for coins.

+ Unlocked player from levelling up automatically selected in the main menu: This is a subtle one, but making the character you can now purchase with the coins in game immediately available is just a nice touch that makes the player's experience smoother.

+ Barrel rework: I took some inspiration from my other game, Break N Take and put a little lifebar on the side of the falling bombs, rather than the more organic look of having an eye on the side previously.

+ New music integration: I got the new gameplay intro in (For after exiting the shop), fixed the current issues with audio (mono, not stereo for the shop) and made sure the credits music flowed back into the main menu. Lots of little musical tweaks.

+ A LOT of audio tweaking: I did a final pass over the project in the last few days and there was a lot of issues with audio to fix! Getting the levels right between different sounds and divvying them up across channels was a task and a half! Should all be fixed now!

+ Popup button on credits: Previously, you could accidentally tap on the screen at the credits and skip the ending! Now, you tap on the screen then have to tap a specific button to return to the main menu.

+ Tweaked enemy timings/Graphics: It's pretty late in the game, but I noticed that several enemies weren't firing soon enough and their projectiles were either firing off screen or not at all! The diving enemy, beam enemy and drop beam enemy all had their code tweaked to make sure they're actually a threat (Rather than just an enemy that wanders past you!) I also tweaked the diving enemies eyes and the colouring of the spiked enemy.

+ Made robot shop keepers arms shootable: I noticed certain upgrades (2 bullets) made it impossible to shoot the transformed shopkeeper, so I made their arms shootable which means you can still land shots whilst dodging attacks!

+ Filled in collision event potholes: Even this late on in development, I've found instances where the enemies/player didn't interact correctly! The shell enemy couldn't be jumped on to be killed and several bosses couldn't be wounded by beams (Their collision was handled seperately to the other projectiles/enemies). All fixed now!

+ Gameplay trailers: This was a fun one to do! I thankfully recorded the footage I needed whilst I was borrowing an iPhone X from a friend, so the editing and capture process for this was a heck of a lot easier than previous games. All of them follow a nice formula, where a character is sleeping, the cannon falls on their head, there's a montage of gameplay ending in an explosion and cutting back to the title at the start of gameplay. If you haven't seen it already, check out the trailer above!

Phew! A lot of stuff! Here's the very small list of what I have to do tomorrow:

+ Implement Splash Screen: Katy is currently doing a vector version of the splash I designed, looks much tastier and professional (And will make it easier to adjust for different sizings for different devices). All the bosses are done but she's got the various enemies to do yet!
+ Remove debug functions and re-integrate restore app function
+ Experiment with the collision of boss bullets spawning: This is a risky one to implement so late in the day, but there's performance issues on lower grade devices I'd like to address. Currently, the game lags when lots of bullets are spawning from one spot, I think this is because of collision overlaps, so I'll be within the first second of every bullet sprite disabling their collision. I'll be testing this on the most intensive example of that in the game (The beam roof boss) then if it works there, integrate in the rest of the project.
+ Double the number of character slots: Currently I store the characters in a list, what I'll be doing is doubling the size of that list so when I update the game, peoples' lists don't break because they already exist! (Just previously empty slots). I'm reasonably sure this will work, we will just have to see.
+ Finalise icon
+ Fix bug which doesn't log voucher collected if people go through it too quickly
+ Purge uneeded assets (Back up 3 copies first!!!)
+ Final tests and playthroughs
+ Implement screenshots on store
+ Write/proof final game description
+ Fill out remaining fields on the storefront
+ Upload build/leaderboard/iAP
+ SHIP THE GAME
+ Sleep forever

Apologies if this post was a bit dry, I'll upload some gifs/footage tomorrow, I just wanted to keep you in the loop as I'm concious it's been a week since my last major update and tomorrow is going to be focused on getting it done! If I don't post anything on there before then, wish me luck!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:44:22 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 05:20:56 AM »

Hey! So after much deliberation, I've decided to change the logo for the game! It was too hard to read the character against the backdrop of stuff (Bullets/explosions) and also, the purple colour of the player against the light purple cannon made some people suggest it looked like a dong. Here's the new logo!

Here it is on an iPad screen:

I think it pops a lot more (There's less pink icons on the store), the green character stands out more against the light purple cannon, the shape of the character actually looks similar to the shape of a frog, frogs are associated with jumping and it's also a super cute choice.

I'll be doing an update about the upload, I pushed back submission to this afternoon since I wanted to do some final thorough testing to make sure everything is ship shape! Stay tuned for more soon.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic