Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:55:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrain to Nowhere - Adventure Game like old times
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Train to Nowhere - Adventure Game like old times  (Read 2756 times)
Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and I would like you to know me the best way I can think: showing to you my first game. Let's go!  Smiley

Train to Nowhere: Last Station
Project started on Oct'17 - Still in progress

Train to Nowhere it's a Adventure Game that tries to call our "little gamer" inside making him remember the old adventures of LucasArts and other companies of 80-90's. This is the first game that I developed alone and until a few months ago I didn't know to program anything. But let's go to what we're interested in: The story.

The Buried Express™ is the train where the souls travel to their last destination: Nowhere. The city where "The Agency of the Dead" is responsible for separating the souls to Heaven or hell. Tom, our protagonist, wakes up lying on the floor of a bathroom with blood-stained hands. Being in the buried Express means being dead, but Tom doesn't get to remember how he died. Upon reaching his seat, another traveler comments to Tom that there has been a murder in the Coffee Wagon...

Our mission will be to solve the murder while we help Tom to remember how he died.
Sometimes things are not what they seem, and maybe Tom made mistakes during his life... or his death.

Tom has three main verbs: "Talk to" (Q), "Look at" (W) "Action" (E) and move with keys (A-D). We can play with a Xbox gamepad too. In addition Tom has a notebook where he takes notes on situations and things to do (mission system). Throughout the game, Tom will be able to pass between the wagons of the Dark Side (Hell) to the Clear Side (Heaven) using the pipes of the WC.

The interesting thing about TTN is the different characters that you can find in the Buried Express. Obviously everyone is dead and everyone has a story to tell. Talk and meet them, I'm sure at least one of them will make you laugh. In addition, there are stories connected between them being able to fulfill secondary missions and lengthen the life of the gameplay.

The soundtrackis created by Bibiki, (http://Https://soundcloud.com/bibikigl) (I still can't show the music since I need him to add it to his SoundCloud)
a spanish composer and sound designer. As a composer, I make contemporary music, electroacoustic music, music with live electronics, videoart compositions, and music for videogames, short films and other media.

As a contemporary composer, I’ve released different pieces for various ensambles, like Éxodo for Clarinet and ensamble and Suspiros en el vacío, for flute, clarinet and bassoon. In addition, I’ve made music with live electronics, as Ukerator, for ukulele and live electronics.

Since 2014, I’ve been working for different games, such as Rise to Ruins, Depths of Limbo or Run and Plunder. Furthermore, I’ve composed several soundtracks for game jams, like StarPug or OiloOilo.

In 2016, I won the Best Sound Field prize at MálagaJam composing the soundtrack for Doitean, made for the GlobalGame Jam.

Also, I’ve composed music for short films like Kreba, winner of various Basque Country film prizes.

In my spare time, I love to investigate with procedural music and visuals with MAX/MSP and also trying to learn programming to make my own games, like I did with VOID, a PICO8 game.

I invite you to take a look around and see/listen whatever you want to know about.

F.A.Q (If you have questions, I will update this)

Q: What languages will the game be in?
Train to Nowhere will be available in voices "gibberish" (ex. Klonoa/Rayman) and the texts will have the Spanish and English language

Q: Is this made on Visionaire Studio? Kind of looks this way.
The game is developed in AGS Studio, because when I started to develop it did not know Visionaire. I feel comfortable in AGS and it's the only "language" I know how to program, haha.

Q:Are you planning a crowdfunding campaign?
I'm not planning a crowdfunding campaign for Train to nowhere. I have raised on more than one occasion and until recently I thought to do it, but this is my first game, nobody knows me within the indie development and it is very likely that my campaign will fail. I want to make the game to start getting someone to notice my future games. I'm not a programmer, I'm a 2d cartoonist and animator, so right now it's hard to make games for me.

All comments, doubts or questions are welcome. Thank you all for your time.

UPDATE 04/27/2018

My composer Bibiki has created a playlist of the game's soundtrack. You can listen to a WIP track from Train to nowhere to get an idea of the style of music we are using. The intention is that the game has a type 20 's ambience and a noire-jazz style. I hope you like it ^^

https://soundcloud.com/bibikigl/sets/train-to-nowhere

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:38:23 AM by Narehop » Logged
Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 03:31:04 PM »

UPDATE 04/27/2018

My composer Bibiki has created a playlist of the game's soundtrack. You can listen to a WIP track from Train to nowhere to get an idea of the style of music we are using. The intention is that the game has a type 20 's ambience and a noire-jazz style. I hope you like it ^^

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 01:58:43 AM by Narehop » Logged
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:04:59 PM »

Looks like a good game I would like to play Toast Left. Is this made on Visionaire Studio? Kind of looks this way.

Are you planning a crowdfunding campaign? (because it seems you do Smiley )

Sorry, I don't know myself how to insert videos! Epileptic

Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 11:49:17 PM »

Looks like a good game I would like to play Toast Left. Is this made on Visionaire Studio? Kind of looks this way.

Are you planning a crowdfunding campaign? (because it seems you do Smiley )

Sorry, I don't know myself how to insert videos! Epileptic

Hello! Thank you for your comment! The game is developed in AGS Studio, because when I started to develop it did not know Visionaire. I feel comfortable in AGS and it's the only "language" I know how to program, haha.

I'm not planning a crowdfunding campaign for Train to nowhere. I have raised on more than one occasion and until recently I thought to do it, but this is my first game, nobody knows me within the indie development and it is very likely that my campaign will fail. I want to make the game to start getting someone to notice my future games. I'm not a programmer, I'm a 2d cartoonist and animator, so right now it's hard to make games for me.
josyanf1
Level 0

@josyanf1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 02:12:52 AM »

Nice game  Hand Thumbs Up Right
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 02:44:46 AM »

Really digging the aesthetic and character designs in this, you're clearly really strong with graphic design. I don't normally play point-and-clickers but the animations and scenes look really engaging, not to mention the narrative premise - looking forward to seeing more!

Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:47:35 AM »

Really digging the aesthetic and character designs in this, you're clearly really strong with graphic design. I don't normally play point-and-clickers but the animations and scenes look really engaging, not to mention the narrative premise - looking forward to seeing more!

Thank you very much for your comment. That someone who doesn' t play Point and click say this its great for me!
koyima
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 06:06:57 AM »

good stuff

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 06:53:59 AM »

Looks great so far! Nice dark style to it

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Roah * Bomblsinger * Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Bit Heroes * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 12:51:49 PM »

good stuff
Thank you! :D

Looks great so far! Nice dark style to it

I really love this dark style combined with a "cutie" cartoon animal  Screamy Screamy Screamy

UPDATE 04/24/2018
Here I show the intro 100% completed of the game with the entire opening. I have tried to make the structure of music and time as similar as the intro of Monkey Island (the first part)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:14:16 PM by Narehop » Logged
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 08:35:04 PM »

The game is developed in AGS Studio, because when I started to develop it did not know Visionaire. I feel comfortable in AGS and it's the only "language" I know how to program, haha.
AGS is great too - it was my first "language" as well (and by the way it's not the easiest in comparison Smiley ).

The intro looks awesome Beer!! The soundtrack is good - it's exactly the kind of music you would expect to hear in a game like that. 

Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 01:57:58 AM »

UPDATE 04/27/2018

Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 01:54:53 AM »

UPDATE 04/29/2018
Some characters that you'll find in the Buried Express.

During the last few days I have been finishing programming the argument line of the demo with placeholders. This means that we can now start and finish the demo without any character or object interfering to finish.
Currently there are bugs, which don't crash the game, so I'm happy. In the next few days I'll dedicate my efforts to solve these bugs and create the characters and objects that we need to advance in history, as today many things are rectangles green and blue.

Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:42:30 AM »

UPDATE 04/29/2018

Making a new character. This orangutan has fallen asleep while eating his bread. Obviously also travels in the Buried Express... his story? Never leave the popcorn maker on.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:50:51 AM by Narehop » Logged
Narehop
Level 0

@GoldenScythe2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »

UPDATE 05/06/2018

I mainly want to thanks @Snarky because he did me a favor and modified his module "SpeechBubble" so that it could accept a GUI and be able to give a little more personality to Train to nowhere.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »

Good stuff as always Smiley. I like the GUIs - they fit the mood.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic