Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:10:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[RELEASED] Citrouille - A modern old school arcade game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [RELEASED] Citrouille - A modern old school arcade game  (Read 5887 times)
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »

Here to eat candy and kick ass!

Hello everyone. I am MadWatch from Lumen Section and it is my pleasure to show you our first game. Citrouille is a modern spin on an old arcade classic, can you guess which one?

Arcade game mechanics (full size)

Modern graphics (full size)

Old school difficulty (full size)

In an enchanted world, adorable little witches will stop at nothing in their quest for candy. But danger lies ahead and sweets are hard earned. Use spells, summon magic ladders and cover the world with flowers. What could possibly go wrong? Play alone or cooperate with a friend, settle the score in versus and claim the sweets you deserve!

Game Mechanics:
  • Plant flowers by walking on fertile ground, clear levels by covering them with flowers
  • Summon ladders to reach higher and lower grounds, no jump
  • Attack to temporarily stun your enemies
  • And kill them with bonus weapons
  • Once you have enough flowers you can use magic spells to temporarily boost your character

Key Features:
  • 4 playable characters, each with unique spell
  • Story mode up to two players
    • 50+ levels
    • 5+ worlds
  • Versus mode up to 4 players
    • 2 game mode, death match and time attack
    • 10 arenas
  • Plenty of candy!

Targeted Platforms:
Windows, Mac and Linux. Maybe consoles if we manage.

Languages:
English, French, German, Polish, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Russian.

Wanna play?
The game will be released on the 29th of October 2018 on the following platforms:
If you like good old arcade games you might want to give it a shot. Be warned though, it's more difficult than it looks. It's a game with little girls, not a game for little girls Well, hello there!

Regards
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 07:18:16 AM by MadWatch » Logged
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 02:23:45 AM »

But where are my manners? I forgot to introduce to you our first little witch. She's named Praline and that's how she looks like in the game.

Garlicguy
Level 3

Good vibes all around.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:02:17 PM »

Will this game be kind of like "Nightmare in the Dark" for the arcade? I'm getting that kind of vibe. Oh, and cute witch!

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »

Will this game be kind of like "Nightmare in the Dark" for the arcade? I'm getting that kind of vibe.
Kind of yes. Just like Nightmare in the Dark our camera doesn't move and shows the whole level on the screen (though it scrolls from one level to the next). But in Citrouille you complete the levels by covering the ground with flowers, not by killing the enemies. Enemies can't be killed unless you have a power up.

Quote from: Garlicguy
Oh, and cute witch!
Thanks Grin
matriax
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:14:51 AM »

The visual looks great, will be great if you post some screenshot with a link to the full ones at 1080 to se better the art quality also some gameplay gif Tongue
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 02:57:47 AM »

will be great if you post some screenshot with a link to the full ones at 1080 to se better the art quality
You're right. I modified the first post to add links to the full size images.

As for seeing it move, we're working on a video.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 01:37:40 AM »

Hello again.

Today I would like to introduce to you Praline's big sister Vanille. She has an airhead but also a big heart and she is the second playable character for the story mode. When the quest for candy is too hard on your own you can do it together.

Best stories are written together (full size)

Chicks are more dangerous than they look (full size)

Nobody calls me chicken! (full size)

Few details regarding the coop mode:
  • It's local, no network
  • Lives are shared between players
  • There is friendly fire with power ups and spells

And that's it for the adorable little witches. What's left now are the not so adorable little witches...
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:39 AM »

And this is what Vanille looks like in game.

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 05:49:33 AM »

So you win by covering the entire ground rather than fighting enemies? Definitely sounds like a fun concept. I unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of playing an arcade game like that, but it does remind me of one of Splatoon's mechanics.

Anyways, I really dig the character design and overall presentation. Looks awesome so far!

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 02:22:37 AM »

Meet Reglisse.

She's the cousin of our adorable Praline and Vanille and she's not playable in story mode. She likes skulls, sharp things and black makeup. It's just a phase, probably. She also hates Vanille because sometimes opposites don't attract each others.

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition (full size)

Be my next toy (full size)

Little witches live with their time. When magic isn't enough they use technology too.

There are three kinds of items in the game. Care must be taken when using them because they kill allies too.
  • The spring box glove goes straight and kills whoever it touches first
  • The bear trap kills whoever step on it, but it only stay active for a limited amount of time
  • The explosive balloon blows up after a little while killing whoever is too close

All of them are found into gift boxes through the levels. Because the one thing children love as much as candy is presents.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:47:36 AM »

In game Reglisse

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:04 AM »

Here comes trouble.

This is the last and the oldest of our little witches. Anis is the half sister of Praline and Vanille. Maybe that's why she hold a grudge against them, you know, family...

She loves to play nasty tricks on her sisters, especially Praline. She almost never win against her but she's such a sore looser she just keep trying.

The winner takes all (full size)

Fly you fools! (full size)

Coming for you! (full size)

About the versus mode:
  • It's local only
  • Two to four players can play together
  • There are two modes:
    • Death match, the last one standing wins
    • Time attack, the one who planted the most flowers when the time is over wins

And that's it for our little witches. Which one is your favorite?
VitaliusSch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »

Cool colors and animation!

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM »

In game Anis.

7Soul
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 07:14:06 AM »

:o

MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 01:16:26 AM »

What's the point of being a witch if you can't use magic? Each of our little witch has her own unique spell. After planting enough flower (when the gauge above the character in the HUD is full) the player can activate it.

Praline's spell (full size)

Vanille's spell (full size)

Reglisse's Spell (full size)

Anis's Spell (full size)

When a spell is activated the player is immortal for its duration.

Praline summons her broom. With it she can move very fast, jump very high and stun anything that stands in her way, friend or foe.

Vanille calls the forces of nature to her rescue. Angry chicks kill the weaker monsters and stun the strong ones. Other players are also affected, their controls are inverted for the duration of the spell.

Reglisse surround herself with deadly spirits. Anything they touch dies immediately.

Anis flies on her grimoire killing anything she touches. However it moves rather slowly.

Of course, while the spell is activated the player can still plant flowers. But doing so won't recharge his spell gauge. That would be too easy.
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:34 AM »

Citrouille has a trailer! This is still a first draft as some information are missing, but it's pretty close to final.

It also got a webpage
https://lumensection.com/citrouille
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:22:37 AM by MadWatch » Logged
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »

We are on Steam Grin
https://store.steampowered.com/app/833270/Citrouille

We're still negotiating with other platforms no there is not release date yet. But soon...
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 02:57:25 AM »

The date has been set for Citrouille's release, it will be the 20th of August.

We got good reviews from several Steam curators already. Citrouille appeals to those who like good old arcade games. We didn't get any press coverage yet though Shrug
MadWatch
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 01:29:36 AM »

We are now on itch.io too!
https://lumensection.itch.io/citrouille

Also, to celebrate the launch of our first game we will offer a 20% discount for the first week Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic