Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1340778 Posts in 61252 Topics- by 52762 Members - Latest Member: Gaiaror

June 20, 2018, 05:11:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTenderfoot Tactics
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tenderfoot Tactics  (Read 408 times)
badru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:17 PM »

You're a newborn spirit inhabiting a small party of domesticated humans. Your presence imbues them with magics that allow them to act directly as natural forces, turning the chaos of the living battlefield to your advantage.

Raise your humans to become powerful woods witches, battlemages, liches, and stonespeakers. Lift a ridge of earth to block the approach of feral knights. Flick a spark into the woods of a neighboring island to smoke out the archers hiding there. Moisten the soil with a rain shower to foster new plant life and eventually hardy brush for your softer mages to use as cover.

Explore your new home in the archipelago and meet the happy residents. Resolve marital disputes between Crown and Tiara on the assignment of their rough but sweet devotee Gauntlet. Nurture Rutabaga's silent little sister Parsnip, who Avocado thinks is a dullard. Help Wiseard by fighting through forests thick with feral humans to investigate the mysterious spirits who speak in tongues and wear no faces, the ones Dad-King calls the Untamed.

--

Tenderfoot Tactics is a TRPG, largely inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. Its guiding-light design focus is on complex, meaningful board state that you effect constantly but in ways that are difficult to predict and control. Character actions generally both influence and are influenced by a continuous simulation of water, soil moisture, plant life, and fire.

I plan to make it a single player campaign with an amorphous open-world structure, with quests delivered to the player through a narrative director.

I'm making it in Unity 2017.2, Blender, and a bit of Photoshop. Animations are currently from Mixamo and will probably be replaced.

Here's where I'm at with the major components of the game:

Combat is where I've spent the most time. Most everything here is working, but needs a lot more work to get where I want it. Right now I'm halfway through moving my systems from a 12x12 grid correlated to the movement grid to a 128x128 fine-grained simulation. I've prototyped out each tier of class in the RPG structure and feel good about the general arc, but need to fill in a lot of holes. I'm currently like 90% of the way to my next major milestone here, which will allow testers to start from a starting party and play through random encounters to level through the job tree.

Party Management is a functioning prototype that needs a lot of consideration from design/UI perspectives. It's in because it needs to be for me to rearrange parties and is just recently being given to testers.

The Overworld is a bare-bones concept basically, but has gotten some recent love where I've hammered out the core structure for quests and dialogue.

--

I'll post more in-depth stuff about systems when I get a moment later! Not sure whether to dig into the way things are first, or to just jump into what I'm working on now (water rendering, fire simulation).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:35:03 PM by badru » Logged

badru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:54:04 PM »

Spent some time this weekend getting the water to a more watery place by modifying the color based on view reflection angles, and adding some watery panning normal maps (just sampled from world position) to the vertex positions.

Kind of a waste of time but I let myself do that on weekends Smiley

Started to dig into actually marching the reflection direction into the depth map to get the 'correct' color, which should be doable since I'm using the deferred renderer, but wasn't able to do it right off the bat. Decided it looked pretty good with faked colors and I shouldn't be wasting a bunch of hours on something so unimportant so I'm leaving that blob of code commented out for now but maybe I'll come back some future weekend.

The stuff that didn't end up working out was something like this:

Code:
float4 camViewDir = float4(normalize(i.worldPos - _WorldSpaceCameraPos).xyz, 0);
float4 reflectionDir = camViewDir - 2 * dot(camViewDir, i.normal) * i.normal;
reflectionDir = normalize(reflectionDir);

float4 bestPos = i.screenPos;

for( float pct = 0.0; pct <= 1.0; pct += 0.1 ){
    float4 testPos = i.screenPos + reflectionDir * pct * _ProjectionParams.z;
    float sceneDepth = Linear01Depth(tex2D(_CameraDepthTexture, testPos.xy / testPos.w).r);
    float rayDepth = Linear01Depth(testPos.z / testPos.w);
    if(rayDepth < sceneDepth) bestPos = testPos;
}

float4 reflectionColor = float4(tex2D(_BackgroundTexture, bestPos.xy / bestPos.w).rgb, 1);

Instead I'm doing this way lazier but more performant, controlled, and pretty-good-looking hack:

Code:
col.rgb += lerp(_horizonColor.rgb, _skyColor.rgb, saturate(pow(-reflectionDir.y, 2)));

-

I think I'll try to put my fire simulation in a compute shader next, and then maybe get to the meatier and way-more-important stuff of leveling-up characters

badru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:51:31 PM »

Redid the plant and fire sims in compute shaders, which was really gratifying because I'd written a sort of superstructure and some reusable components already, and it only took a few hours total.

The plants were immediately growing in more interesting and obvious patterns, and the fire has a much clearer route. Before things were all running per vertex or per quad, so roughly 12x12 on these map sizes, and it was lacking a lot of the nice fine-grained stuff I'm getting now, so I'm really happy with that. I ultimately want the systems to feel very rich and alive and the higher resolution seems like it's doing a lot for that.

Also have the core leveling stuff working, but need UI now :X

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic