Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:35:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJUX
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: JUX  (Read 2858 times)
turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
JUX
« on: May 02, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »

LATEST UPDATE:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone ! thanks for having a look at my project!

I decided to make a 2.5D side scroller . I have been teaching myself the unreal engine for a bit over a year now and I just love it . I am not planning anything ground breaking as I still have so much to learn but I want to create something that feels nice and fun to play .

I have been doing a few small projects before to learn various skills but nothing that I took very seriously so I decided to start a proper (still small) game .

For this project I got my other half on board, she is a much better artist than I am .
She is doing all the concept art/character design, a lot of the texturing and also anything related to colour (I am colour blind so she correct all the ugly stuff I keep making Tongue)
I will be taking care of the development we share the modelling and level design .

We are not quite experience with anything related with sound and music so we are not too sure what will happen on that front yet .

THE GAME :

JUX is the name of the main character . he lives on a peaceful and beautiful planet until a bunch of robot space pirates land on it and make trouble . Your goal will be to recover the parts of a magic item powerful enough to defeat your enemies when reassembled !

JUX is a character that we have been playing with long before creating thing game :

A couple of drawing of the character a year or 2 before the game project started .

Some of the concept made for the game .

The short leg design was a bit of an issue for the animation so after a bit of tweaking in 3d we ended up with this .

We are planning for JUX to have only a few basic abilities and rely on level design to make the game fun, no crazy power or anything like that . So far the character can :
-jump
-double jump
-wall jump . the character will stick to the wall for about half a second before starting falling if no jump input is given .
-throw a magnet . the character has a magnet attach to a rope that can be used as a weapon or a swing .
-rope swing . A lot of time as been spent and wasted on this . At first I tried to implement a physics based system that I got working nicely about 99% of the time but once in a while it would behave in a strange way which made the game very frustrating to play . I decided to scrap it and made a non physics-based one, after quite a lot of playing around I got it to a point where I am almost happy with it .
I also tried to type of hooking system for the swing rope :

1-the character had the ability to throw his magnet and stick it onto everything the magnet touch (wall, platform...), on paper it did sound good but in practice it wasn't very nice to use . I use the left joystick on the gamepad to move the character and also to select the direction you throw the magnet into and it didn't feel nice .

2-you can only hook the swing rope to specific hook point . This is a bit more limiting but I found it a lot more fun to play . I decided to choose this one .

I don't think I will had more functionality to the character (at least for now)

This is the beginning of the first level, it is pretty safe as you can't die but have to master the different character abilities in order to progress .
Design wise we when for a colourful cartoony cute look .

We also started on the enemies design . We made a 3d model of one of them . It is still very much a WIP it needs a bit more details, textures and also a cape ! but we are happy with the proportions .

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:32:49 AM by turbo banana » Logged

afilionComposer
Level 0

Music Composer for Games and Media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:20:59 PM »

Very solid start! I'm a big fan of the environments and animations! Smiley

Music Composer for Games and Media.
http://Afilion.ca
turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »

Thanks !

I used mixamo for the idle,walking and running animation as a base and tweaked them to suit the character so I can't take too much credit for that ! Tongue
The rest was done from scratch .

The animated gif of the space pirate is also an animation from the mixamo library .

We are trying to keep using quite vibrant colour for the environment . I hope we will be able to keep the quality consistent throughout the entire game .

elosociu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 12:35:04 PM »

I'm really into this! The gameplay looks smooth, and the graphics are simple and great!
I also love how you don't just walk straight, but the world curves alot, really making it feel more 3d!
Can't wait to see more!

turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »

Thanks elosociu ! The game hasn't been tested by many people so far (well,there isn't much to test at the moment ) but I had mixed feedback regarding the curve character path . Some like it but a few said it makes them want to explore the world more freely .

Over the weekend more design was done on the enemy characters . We are pretty happy as they are . We now need to model them .

​​​​​​​
In the meantime I worked on the second part of the first level . In this level the enemies will be trying to kill you by shooting their cannon while you are trying to escape .
It's mainly there but still needs a few things done .

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:00:29 AM by turbo banana » Logged

Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »

Interesting that people have some mixed opinions on the curved path. I've noticed that the curves need to be fairly gradual or it can be hard to judge jumps but I thought that was the only real drawback.

I think in Klonoa the terrain is often narrow platforms, but when you're in a wide open space there's always a narrow path texture following the level's curve so you know beforehand where the character's going to go. I think you might be having mixed results because the player has no way of anticipating the curve. Maybe try a simple path texture along the curve and see if that helps?

Dig the pirate design but I'm curious why their insignia has 3 eyes when their skulls only have two.

Thanks for the feedback on my game btw, definitely glad to hear your curve solution is similar to mine. Crazy that  platformers like this are so rare and we post ours almost within a week of each other.

turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:50:43 AM »

You might be right, my first level suffer from both issues, a couple of poorly placed obstacles that force the player to jump while still turning and the lack of path visibility .

I will try to change that and see if I get a different feedback .

The pirates insignia is probably going to change, we wanted to try something a little bit different from the classic skull and crossed bones but we didn't come up with anything very interesting at the time .

turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 01:55:26 PM »

A few people suggested that the jump and air control felt too light and not tight enough . The jump was made heavier (by quite a big amount) and the air control tweaked and so far the feedback on those changes have been very positive !

over the weekend I had a bit of fun modelling a stone golem and made a chase level .

turbo banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »

This weekend I managed to make the first type of small enemies . They can be killed by jumping on their head or using the character's weapon .
The main character deaths animation need some tweaking so it does clash too much with the jaw of the enemy .

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic