Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:56:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTransmission - Jalopy meets Euro Truck Simulator on a rainy 80s summer night
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Transmission - Jalopy meets Euro Truck Simulator on a rainy 80s summer night  (Read 5554 times)
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:19:23 AM »

Overview
Transmission is a nostalgic night driving game. Take on the role of a courier and cruise through a free-roam world of synthwave inspired visuals. It’s Euro Truck Simulator meets Jalopy on a rainy 80s summer night.

Gameplay

Wake up at midnight, tune the radio to your favourite station and slip into the highway hypnosis of driving. As a small time courier, you'll meet an cast of unusual characters and carry their packages across the region. Deliver as many packages as you can before dawn calls you back to your bed.

Minute-to-minute, the rhythm of driving is your goal; check your mirrors, indicate, overtake. Reach your destination and deliver your package. Over time you'll accumulate enough money to upgrade your car and unlock new base locations around the world, letting you take longer jobs for higher pay and explore more of the region.

Features
  • Cozy, light night driving vibes
  • A free roam world of glittering city skylines, open motorways and isolated b-roads
  • Streaming internet radio and local MP3 “mixtapes”
  • Build a late night courier empire from the ground up
  • Upgrade your car from a tired wreck to a lean muscle machine
  • Photo mode
  • Advanced cruise control - let the car slowly drive you to your destination if you just want to relax

Follow the project on Twitter
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 10:00:10 AM by JonDadley » Logged
Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:56:59 AM »

Are there intersections or is that an infinite runner go straight-style game?

Anyway, the lighting looks really atmospheric.
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »

Thanks!

It's going to have intersections, part of the minute-to-minute gameplay will be reading the roadsigns and a physical map to find the route to your drop-off point. The bottom screenshot in the first post is a very, very early aerial view of one of the procedurally generated road networks.

That said, the prototype is an 'infinite-runner' style at the moment as the world gen tech is still a work in progress. Hopefully the navigation and intersection gameplay should be coming on line soon.
Biijii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »

Dang I just saw your video of this on Twitter, and now here it is. Looks comfy! It really makes sense for a Euro Truck type game, it'd be a cool aesthetic to get lost in.

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »

Thanks! Yeah I took a huge amount of inspiration from Euro Truck. Euro Truck always feels at it's best when you're driving at night and just a bit let down by its realistic aesthetic imo. So I decided to make a stylised version that's set purely at night :D
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »

I am interested in this.

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:30:57 PM »

I am interested in this.

Thanks pal!
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 04:01:22 AM »

New feature preview: the rear view and wing mirrors have a dynamic zoom & DoF effect when you look at them so you can see them more clearly. Always check your mirrors before changing lanes, kids! (click for the whole video).

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 05:08:21 AM »

That zoom effect is awesome.
My own driving thingy is unlikely to feature mirrors as such, I'll probably make a rear-camera only and you made me now wonder if it'd need a zoom effect too Smiley (I believe in 20 years or so, there will be no mirrors, especially side mirrors since they stick out and are a potential hazard and make maneuvering more difficultt)
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 07:01:20 AM »

That zoom effect is awesome.
My own driving thingy is unlikely to feature mirrors as such, I'll probably make a rear-camera only and you made me now wonder if it'd need a zoom effect too Smiley (I believe in 20 years or so, there will be no mirrors, especially side mirrors since they stick out and are a potential hazard and make maneuvering more difficultt)

It really depends what the vibe of your game is - it's a fast paced or completative driving game, I'd probably avoid the zoom and have a more traditional 'hud' type camera the player can always see clearly. Cozy Taxi is supposed to be slow paced and calm so having the player head-look around at the mirror and getting that slow zoom is all part of the atmosphere. It helps bed them into the physical space of the car too.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:17:26 AM »

Wow, that looks good! I can hear some synthwave music or something with this haha.  Grin

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 09:28:13 AM »

Wow, that looks good! I can hear some synthwave music or something with this haha.  Grin

Thanks Siddhartha! Yep I'm currently talking to people about working on a Synthwave OST for it, if you're interested let me know Wink
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »

I think I remember seeing an early gif of this on Twitter - still looks amazing!
drkr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »

Those colours are so nice. The bloom/glow I think is a little overdone but it definitely add to the atmosphere Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »

I think I remember seeing an early gif of this on Twitter - still looks amazing!

Thanks! Yeah the very first video of it I posted a few months back blew up completely unexpectedly. It was only going to be a small prototype I spent a few weeks on but people seemed to be into it in a big way so I decided to stick with it Smiley

Those colours are so nice. The bloom/glow I think is a little overdone but it definitely add to the atmosphere Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Thank you! You're right, the bloom is definitely on the heavy side, I need to tweak it a bit more I think. It's hard to strike the balance of giving everything that 80s neon atmosphere without going too far Smiley
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »

I've been working on some proof-of-concept videos ahead of the kickstarter. I'm quite pleased with the look of this coastal docks area after a few days work.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:21:46 AM by JonDadley » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 07:06:08 AM »

I don't even drive, but this does look neat!

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »

I don't even drive, but this does look neat!

Neither do I :D I'm mostly designing the feel of the driving around what I'd *want* driving to feel like rather than being a proper simulation. Thanks for the kind words too!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »

Yeah, I totally get it! You seem to be really nailing it too. It's super pretty!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »

outstanding title
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic