Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:01:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTransmission - Jalopy meets Euro Truck Simulator on a rainy 80s summer night
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Transmission - Jalopy meets Euro Truck Simulator on a rainy 80s summer night  (Read 5595 times)
Enyx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 02:49:22 AM »

I really want to play this, being a huge fan of the ETS series, and anything synth/retrowave. I'm guessing and hoping the music will be stylized towards this theme too? Tongue

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 03:02:41 AM »

outstanding title

Haha, thanks! Unfortunately it's only temporary for a few reasons (someone already made a game called Cozy Taxi, you don't actually play a taxi driver in the game etc). Trying to figure out a new name at the moment!

I really want to play this, being a huge fan of the ETS series, and anything synth/retrowave. I'm guessing and hoping the music will be stylized towards this theme too? Tongue

Thanks! Yeah I'm talking to a few small synthwave artists about the OST and like ETS there's streaming internet radio that I'm going to preset to a bunch of synthwave stations (although people will be able to edit them to whatever stations they like).
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 03:59:45 AM »

This looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing more updates!

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:07 AM »

I added a photo mode because, well, who doesn't love a photo mode?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 04:00:10 AM by JonDadley » Logged
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 03:59:47 AM »

At the end of every in-game night, dawn arrives to send you back to bed.

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »

I've been working on some customisation options. You too can deliver packages in the gaudy colour scheme of your choice!

Zireael
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »

That's some great neons!
flex$
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 11:51:58 PM »

That's some great neons!

agreed, just loving the lighting and ambiance here 100  Wizard Cool  Hand Clap

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 03:35:46 AM »

Thanks guys, I'm glad people are into the vibe. I'm not an artist by trade so it's been really pleasing to see how much people are enjoying the aesthetics Smiley
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 05:36:35 AM »

I've changed the game's name from Cozy Taxi to Transmission. There's a few reasons for this. There was already an indie game called Cozy Taxi and I didn't want to step on their shoes. Also, it wasn't very descriptive as you play as a courier not a taxi driver.

There's a few meaning behind the new name. The transmission is part of a cars gearbox, it's because the game's missions involve transport, because you spend a lot of time in-game listening to radio transmissions and of course the Joy Division song of of the same name.
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »

I added a computer terminal to your car so you can find delivery jobs. Still needs a bunch of UI work to a) give a better UX b) sell the 80s aesthetic a bit more. Pretty pleased with it so far.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »

Ah I love a diagetic menus! I think it fits pretty well with the overall aesthetic already

JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 04:48:46 AM »

Ah I love a diagetic menus! I think it fits pretty well with the overall aesthetic already

Thanks! I made some changes to the font to make it look a bit more retro but I think I'll keep it largely as it is (apart from some design / flow improvements)
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2018, 04:52:58 AM »

I've added story missions where you have to pickup mysterious parcels from characters in the world. Pretty pleased with how the "2D characters in a 3D world" look turned out - has a kind of 'Gorillaz' look. Sorry about the low frame rate of the gif, it was a struggle to get such a long clip into a gif. Click it to see the smooth video.
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the late reply. The development is looking great. Looking forward to playing this at some point! Thanks for the offer! At the moment I've mainly done synthwave / dark John Carpenter-like scoring for games and a short film. Not sure if that's what would fit here. I did one song though for an upcoming game called Antioch. Here is some of that:

And here a demo that I did at the very beginning but in the end the scores I composed was more moody and dark:

And a soundtrack I did for a film, also quite moody but with more upbeat "outrun" style music in the middle:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com/album/genesis

Good luck with the continuing development! Smiley

Cheers,
Sid

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »

Hi Jon,

Sorry for the late reply. The development is looking great. Looking forward to playing this at some point! Thanks for the offer! At the moment I've mainly done synthwave / dark John Carpenter-like scoring for games and a short film. Not sure if that's what would fit here. I did one song though for an upcoming game called Antioch. Here is some of that:

And here a demo that I did at the very beginning but in the end the scores I composed was more moody and dark:

And a soundtrack I did for a film, also quite moody but with more upbeat "outrun" style music in the middle:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com/album/genesis

Good luck with the continuing development! Smiley

Cheers,
Sid

Hey Sid! That Antioch track is excellent, so good! Could you drop me a mail at 'jon [at] seagreengames.com' so we can talk rates etc? Cheers!
Jon
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »

Navigating the world in Transmission is done through reading road signs and maps. This is the physical map I made for the prototype. Heavily inspired by FarCry 2, the Interstate games and Mark Brown's "Following The Little Dotted Line" video.
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 10:50:56 AM »

I found reading road signs at speed quite difficult because of the use of TXAA which can make the text look smeary. To get around this I added a 'slow motion' feature the player can trigger at will. This slows rate of movement which makes the signs much more legible. Plus, doing anything in slow motion looks super cool so it's useful for speeding round corners too!
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 10:59:04 AM »

Looking very good, Jon! Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
JonDadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2019, 05:55:55 AM »

Managing your fuel is vital in Transmission. Although I think I got the cost of petrol in the '80s slightly wrong :D I've tried to make the process as frictionless as possible, like a pit-stop (click the image to view the full video on Twitter).
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic