Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:17:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSquare Assault - Roguelike Puzzle Game - Now with level editor!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Square Assault - Roguelike Puzzle Game - Now with level editor!  (Read 3499 times)
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »

Hey everyone! Welcome to my thread!

Ok, so what's this all about?
Well, this will be my first C++ game, programmed from the ground up. It will also be my first roguelike game too.

It uses the excellent libtcod roguelike engine from the Chronicles of Doryen. That engine boasts True Colour, Alpha Channels, PNG Support, everything. Well worth the getting.

Essentially, you are a green square. You must get to the exit in a maze. However, you leave behind you a smoke trail, which will kill you. Also, there will be enemies, lava, electrical fields, boxes that contain random events, ninjas, squashy things, ufo's and water, all of which have the potential to kill you.

The game is only about 12% complete at this point, but I have a stable and working engine, and a way to store maps. Hooray!

This game is nothing very special at the moment, but if you'd like to try it out, grab the latest build (0.006) from here:

http://squareassault.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/SquareAssaultDoryen/Alpha%20Build%200.009.zip

Readme explains how to play. Also, take note that you can't finish the sample level either.

Build 0.009 is up now. I'll post a changelog in this thread.

Obligatory Pix4Clix:

Code:
Changelog:

0.009:
Added a fully functioning level editor! Wooo hooo!

0.008:
Added Explosion effect! Just die to watch it happen!
Did more code cleaning and re-organising.
Moved debugging into the Debug Log... where it should be.
Added handling for missing maps (also this will be useful when sequenced maps are here.)
Numerous little tweaks to make it run a bit faster.

0.007:
Added Start tile. The player spawns on the first start tile the program encounters.
Eventually I'll have multiple tilespawns for multiple player objects.
Added player class and plugged it in. This should make the code far more manageble.
Added a little hidden thing. :)
Changed controls to Enter (for switches) and Backspace (for resets)
Changed debugging - now outputs a heap of stuff into the console.
Changed map size - now 80x30.

0.006:
Added Map Name support.

0.005:
Added Lava Switches and Dark Lava
Changed Controls to Arrow Keys

0.004:
Added Working Switches

0.003:
Added Map Loading from File (map.txt)
Added Proper Smoke Reset
Changed and Re-Added Reset
Added More Awesome
Numerous Fixes + Tweaks

0.002:
Changed to Doryen Library
Added Full-Colour Colour Choice (HOORAY FREEDOM)
Removed Reset (it was crap)
Numerous Fixes + Tweaks

0.001:
First Version.
It was crap.

Take note, you can edit the map file as it stands, the readme tells how.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:39:04 AM by Dr.Melon » Logged
Gryphon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:00:15 AM »

It uses the excellent libtcod roguelike engine from the Chronicles of Doryen. That engine boasts True Colour, Alpha Channels, PNG Support, everything.

Now that's awesome. I was considering doing a Cthulhu Mythos-inspired adventure game using that engine, but just haven't had time. It really looks amazing, though...

It looks like this is a good start...the game shows a lot of potential. Kind of like a puzzle-ish vibe while still maintaining roguelike elements! Excellent   :D

One more thing...since this is your private project, you should post it over in Feedback!

Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 10:50:34 AM »

The next thing I'll be working on is getting some menus going on, then getting maps to load in a sequence.    Hand Shake Left Crazy Hand Shake Right

After that, MORE TILE TYPES. LOTS MORE.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »

Ah, I'm working on a roguelike too! It's nice to see this here.
The next thing I'll be working on is getting some menus going on, then getting maps to load in a sequence.
Ah, I have the opposite problem: I have menus, but no gameplay Grin.

This looks pretty interesting. Some of the mechanics you're working with are fun, like the wall inversion switches and the poisonous trail. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

P.S.- you might want to post a screenshot or two to drum up interest.
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:23 AM »

Thanks for your interest! :D
Spurred me on a bit, it has.
Also, I'm interested in what you have going too. Good luck with it!

I've taken your advice and put up a picture in the first post.

My gameplay loop goes something like this:

Code:
Wait and Check for Input.
Parse Input into Actions.
Render Changes.

Until the loop is broken.
However, the only way the loop is broken at the moment is by quitting (it checks for window closure), so I need to set up a playing/not-playing state so that I can change input details and make the window-render loop separate from the game loop.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:48:15 AM by Dr.Melon » Logged
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:34:26 PM »

Ah, my render loop is active rather than updating every frame, but that's only because I'm planning to go the graphical route and have some effects which are independent of gameplay.

I'm curious, how is your gameplay going to work? I see lots of neat potential for puzzles, and I'm wondering how much (if any) more RPG-esque gameplay will be in the game. Are the levels going to be made by hand, or generated?
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:20:54 AM »

The early versions of the game are going to stick with pre-made levels. However, I plan to add randomly generated levels as a sort of 'endurance' mode.

The gameplay is going to be mostly puzzle based: not very many RPG elements are going to come into it to begin with, but later levels will require more than just puzzle-solving skill.
Examples of tiles that I am adding are things like teleport tiles: these tiles will allow you to warp between pairs or sequentially linked tiles in order to traverse the tricky terrain. Or, there might be some patrol robots walking around, waiting to gun you down. Random powerups/downs will also feature, and might do things like fog your vision, or cause you to hallucinate and see lava as walkable terrain and so on.
There will be various other gameplay elements (such as computer terminals) where the normal style of gameplay is thrown out of the window (ASCII Platformer, anyone?).

I haven't been working on it as much recently due to a sudden flood of exams and whatnot, but now that I'm on holiday I have more time to actually work on it.
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »

New! Fully functioning level editor included in build 0.009!

http://squareassault.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/SquareAssaultDoryen/Alpha%20Build%200.009.zip
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »

0.009 eh?  You obviously have a lot of future updates planned.  Well, hello there!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Dr.Melon
Level 0

Randomized Programming

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 01:24:47 AM »

0.009 eh?  You obviously have a lot of future updates planned.  Well, hello there!
Tongue
I'm thinking of removing a 0, you know...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic