Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:22:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI'm an amateur indie game reviewer and i'd love some feedback!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'm an amateur indie game reviewer and i'd love some feedback!  (Read 1128 times)
Rocktobot
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:33:01 AM »

As the title says, im an amateur indie game reviewer and i welcome all (constructive) criticism. Check out my channel for reviews of what will hopefully be an assortment of (mostly) newly released and upcoming PC indie games!

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »

I think it's good that you have rather short videos, but I would argue that they might be a litter too short.
As a viewer it feels like I started watching the review in the middle or even the end. Maybe talk a bit about the developer first and artificially slow down the video by doing more noticeable pauses between the different categories (graphics, gameplay, etc.). Also putting a link in the description to the developer's website or the game's demo would probably be much appreciated by the people who made the game. By mentioning that you also get like +5s.
Personally I would aim for a review video around the 5-10min mark on average. A <2 min video gives me the impression that you don't have much to talk about in the first place.

Audio and video quality themselves are ok, considering you are not using professional equipment.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 08:34:59 PM »

This may be more of a technical comment, but I find it difficult to understand what you're saying at some points. Maybe a better microphone or recording setup, or just a matter of mixing the audio better. In particular "despite the low level poly design.." the rest I can't make out what you're saying.

Otherwise I like it! I like short videos. You got a new subscriber :D

edit: low 'poly', not level.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:09:27 PM by diegzumillo » Logged

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:42:05 AM »

I love the fast pacing of the very short review, we need more of those in our lives. The only possible complaint (besides needing better sound equipment) for getting new subscribers, you need a way to sound less scared and more grandiose. I'm not saying you should sound like tons of reviewers who take personas of badly drawn ducks or screaming draculas, but you should work on sounding less deadpan.

Other than that, SUBSCRIBED!

-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »

Short is good. I've always wanted to see some kind of "useful game trailers" that gave you a quick overview of a game—pros and cons, genre, gameplay, story, etc., in a short amount of time. It could be a little longer too, up to three minutes or so is still an "impulse watch" for me.

I agree with Lares that it could use more intro. What is this game? Is it in development, early access, released, old? Is it the developer's first game, or did they do something that I might know about? That kind of thing.

Instead of just showing your logo fading in for the first six seconds, I would show the video series name ("Rocktobot Reviews") in big text, plus your logo, on top of a cover/start screen image from the game you are reviewing. That way you have a little more intro and don't waste those first few seconds. Also, putting stuff in text, visually, is easier and more reliable for people to comprehend than your voice, especially when you're talking fairly fast (which is fine).

Something like this:

Regarding audio: If you haven't already, look up how people process their voice-overs in Audacity. You may be able to just lower the treble a bit and sound like you have a better mic than you do.

In the Kickshot video, I personally would want to hear:
  • More specifics about the gameplay. How does it work? You can run and wall jump I see, but you also have a grappling hook and a rocket launcher? A few sentences about how that basic stuff works would be nice.
  • How much content does the game have? 10 levels, 300 levels? Can you complete it in an evening, or is it a 40-hour game? Is it replayable or a once-and-done deal?
  • Price, platforms, and where to get it. I didn't realize until now that Kickshot is free-to-play. In that case, does it have premium stuff, or is it actually totally free? Otherwise you could just say, "It's on Steam for $15", or whatever. Also if it's on Itch, Humble, or GOG. And is it windows only, or Win/Mac/Linux? I'm PC master race all the way, but a lot of people probably care if it's expected on Switch and other consoles (and probably if it's playable with a gamepad or keyboard and mouse only (or vice versa...)).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:11:28 AM by -Ross » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic