Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:36:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNES games on real hardware
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: NES games on real hardware  (Read 2210 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:57:33 AM »

Hi all

I just got myself an NES as part of my effort to own some of these retro consoles. However I said to myself I won't extend my collection to cartridges because I don't have the money. So that means buying only some basic games and game collections, like those 500 in one. But they seem questionable. Is there any of these collections worth having?

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »

Make your own? Tongue

http://nesdev.com/

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »

get a
flash cart
??

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 08:27:10 PM »

Legality aspect aside, flash carts are tempting but so very expensive. Maybe one day.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 02:23:09 AM »

I recommend a little game called STREEMERZ, op
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:54:34 AM »

i prefer pc emulation.
in fact now im downloading a romhack that replaces pokemons with tiny stream window of you all wearing girl underwear right now
cant do that with mini because nintendo put a sarine capsule in each unit thatll gonna kill infidels
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 06:16:23 AM »

As far as emulation goes the currently best emulator is pretty much a tie between Bizhawk and puNES (Bizhawk is slightly more accurate but is windows/.net only)

Personally I use puNES

Outside of those two the others are so inaccurate you might as well be playing fangames, timing is wrong, graphics are wrong, sound is wrong, etc.

-Fuzzy Spider
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:26:01 AM »

Are there any substanial differences with snes9x? I googled buzhawk and its seem to be aired for speedrun assholes.
i prefer my games with filters and obscure turn based strategy rpgs too
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »

well, snes9x is for snes not nes for one, it's also super super old and inaccurate (for instance, in chrono trigger the music doesn't work right, the colors are completely wrong, and some things move WAY FASTER than they're supposed to).  Snes9x is actually really really bad at playing a bunch of games, you get frame drops, speedups, errors, bad color, missing effects, etc all over the place in it.  It was good back when it was pretty much just it or zsnes (because seriously, zsnes is hot garbage) but after bsnes came out the only reason to use snes9x was that you didn't know bsnes existed :D

for snes use higan, it's the continuation of the old BSNES project.  Higan also does a pretty damn good job at NES, gameboy, all of sega's consoles, etc as well, so you could really use it as a single replacement for all of them. (though it's not AS good at nes as puNES and not as good as some of the others at their respective consoles, it's definitively the best with snes though)

Edit:  I suppose i could explain WHY emulators like snes9x and zsnes are so bad.  They're both older high level emulators that instead of emulating the console the way it works emulate the basics of the console at a high level then rely on per-game patches for everything else. (so the more obscure the game is the less likely it'll run properly on these emulators)  This always leads to differences such as draw orders of sprites being changed, which since games on SNES/NES used sprite limits a lot of spawning/etc could severely change how areas of the game played, timings, etc.   Newer emulators like higan and puNES emulate the nes/snes hardware itself down to the chips so the game runs exactly or close to exactly how it would on actual hardware.

-Fuzzy Spider
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »

ok
does "higan" has smoothing and stuff
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 07:10:52 AM »

of course, all the major emulators include smoothing filters just in case whoever playing it likes their game looking like complete garbage.

-Fuzzy Spider
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 07:12:35 AM »

filters are superior visually
diegzumillo
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »

Grab your torches! it's the filter scum against the puritan purists.  My Word!

I actually don't have a preference. On one hand the most faithful emulation is still outputting to a modern screen which is quite different from an old CRT transmitted via antenna jack, so filters might be more faithful in recreating the shitty quality we actually played back then. I do like a crisp pixel art though, even if it wasn't made to be seen as crisp as we do now.

Back on the original subject, I purchased a multicart (143 games) and I'll report back about it once I tested. It probably has a lot of garbage but there are some megaman (is the plural of megaman megamen?) in there. At least it's something I can test the console! I haven't even turned the thing on yet.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:56 AM »

NES had a composite video out, wasn't anteanna jack, the effect is actually considerably different than the filters, you dont lose the pixels and get smoothed out edges from that, it more of blurs the transitions between the pixels. A lot of games actually used this to make their pixel art seem to have higher definition than it actually did.

Source: still has a NES and CRT

-Fuzzy Spider
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 09:08:23 AM »

i had bootleg that broke when i was 5 or something abd b/w tv.
when i saw those games on emulator years later, i could not believe how ugly they were in color and how lowres they were. Although stuff on pentium 233 ws more hires than playstation.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 06:43:42 AM »

Shit, are we even in this day discussing how pure the NES emulation is? Use Nesticle, for cryin' out loud.

Yeah.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:32 AM »

(is the plural of megaman megamen?)
it's a proper noun, so megamans, similar to donkey kong countrys, not countries, final fantasys, not fantasies, etc.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 04:55:58 AM »

Imma go with Megamangs

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 06:30:26 AM »

megaman is itself contains 1 million men
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 07:24:01 AM »

[with evangelical fervour] have you heard the good word about mega man, folks? It fucking sucks.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic