Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 09:22:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting100% Open-Source Cross-Platform 2-D Video Game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 100% Open-Source Cross-Platform 2-D Video Game!  (Read 776 times)
FallenAngel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »

Hi,

We are in the process of finishing an update to our educational word spelling game.
We were hoping some people here could take a look at it and provide feedback.
We would like feedback on the game itself as well as the source code.

You can download the current build below:
http://fallenangelsoftware.com/stuff/files/GT-R_Engine/Source/GT-R_Engine.zip
(should run on any Windows(R) and any Linux operating system)

Game uses: SDL2, SDL2_Image, SDL2_Mixer, & SDL2_TTF

Thanks!

Jesse
www.FallenAngelSoftware.com

Screenshot:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:18:21 AM by FallenAngel » Logged
FallenAngel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:36:37 PM »

Finished:

http://fallenangelsoftware.com/GT-R_Engine.html
-Ross
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:30 AM »

[Edit] - This is all about your "LettersFall" game. I guess you're working on a game engine too? I didn't see any information about that though.

The download link in your first post is broken. I tried a web version I found on your site though.

It's OK. I mean, it works. It's not particularly any fun though. If it was a bit easier I could see it being a decent time-waster that people would play on their phones though, like solitaire. For it to be casual you need a lot more vowels, or a lot more time to search for words and plan moves.

The 'backspace' button should always be in the same spot. Since it's in a different spot for each letter, it's hard to undo multiple letters quickly. If it was in one spot you could easily tap it a bunch of times in a row. You could also add a 'de-select all letters' button.

There seems to be a significant delay on the pause button. If you press it once you have to wait about a full second before it will work again.

The story text is reeeaaaaallly slow. If it's not going to all show up instantly, it should at least appear at a fast reading speed, so it doesn't slow people down. Also, clicking once should make all the text appear instantly, then clicking a second time should start the game.

If you expect people to use the web version, you should make the Enter key work in the menus, not just Space.

The visual design is kind of terrible. I don't know if you got all these assets for free somewhere or what, but it's like you had a different person design every single different button, graphic, and piece of text. Nothing fits together. It's busy and inconsistent and therefore not appealing to look at. I assume you won't be changing this game much at this point, but maybe for your next project, consider partnering with or hiring an artist to handle the graphics. Or even if you do them yourself, try to be consistent. Consistency is much more important than artistic quality in this case. Pick a theme and stick to it. Use the same limited palette of colors, shapes, and styles for everything. Decide what the most important things on screen are, and give them the highest contrast. Check out this article for some good info on that.

The same feedback applies to the audio. It's not as obvious as the graphics, but it has the same issues.

FallenAngel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 02:51:16 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the constructive criticism of the Internet version.
Also thanks for telling us the URL link was broken, it should work now.

We tried to do the best we could with the very limited resources we had.
I personally did all the code writing and testing and most of the graphics.

The Internet version you tried was made with AppGameKit 2 engine.
There are performance issues on old computers and the game's data does not save.

The version above was made with SDL2.
It should work much faster than the one you tried.

We will be working now on our custom HTML5 game engine.
Thanks!

Jesse
FallenAngel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »

Hi Again!

We updated our custom HTML5 game engine and release it today:
http://fallenangelsoftware.com/stuff/files/5-0_Engine/HTML5/index.html

Going to update our WebGL game engine next week, thanks!

Jesse
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic