Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:50:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSteampunk First Person RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Steampunk First Person RPG  (Read 1485 times)
noctical
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »

Hey guys, first time posting here, looking forward to share some information about the game we've been working on for a couple of years and hopefully get some feedback Smiley

We're a small indie team, currently working on a first-person steampunk RPG with a strong focus on narrative and sandbox gameplay, set in a world where monsters have been a part of society for generations.

You play the role of Ayodele, a scavenger hired to handle supernatural threats and all matters of the occult.

Players are free to explore on their own, investigating events, uncovering secrets, dealing with monsters - creatures and humans alike - and tackling new situations as they arise, making deliberate use of the tools and limited resources at their disposal.

Time is a major driving force in how things play out. The world does not revolve around the players and the narrative continuously unfolds throughout the game, with new events developing each passing day even if you're not around to witness them.

The game provides absolutely no outside information you can trust. Everything you read, hear or believe to know about the world is revealed by characters that are a part of it. And those characters are driven by their own motivations; they may obscure, manipulate and lie if that helps them achieve their goals.

It's up to players to learn how to navigate this intricate and challenging place.

Here are a few clips of the game (click for HQ version):

We're planning on announcing it soon, all feedback is highly appreciated! We're also posting some updates on Twitter, if you're interested you can follow us at https://twitter.com/NocticalStudios

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:30:44 PM by noctical » Logged
Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »

Is that a painkiller style stake gun i spy? 

Looks amazing and sounds intriguing. Bravo. Hand Money Left
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:55 AM »

This looks absolutely phenomenal and I love the sound of the narrative structure, I enjoy not being guided in games but definitely appreciate it when I always have an option available to pursue. How do you plan to guide players toward possible narrative points as I assume there won't be a traditional quest system. Excited for the announcement. I also really like the lack of UI in the short teaser gifs you have posted. Is this a design feature or do you plan to add UI in the future?

noctical
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:51 AM »

Is that a painkiller style stake gun i spy? 

Looks amazing and sounds intriguing. Bravo. Hand Money Left

Well spotted! It's a crossbow that shoots rebar stakes that impale enemies and pin them to surfaces, much like the stakegun from Painkiller. You can also retrieve stakes and reuse them, as seen here:

This looks absolutely phenomenal and I love the sound of the narrative structure, I enjoy not being guided in games but definitely appreciate it when I always have an option available to pursue. How do you plan to guide players toward possible narrative points as I assume there won't be a traditional quest system. Excited for the announcement.

That's something we'll be discussing in the future Wink

I also really like the lack of UI in the short teaser gifs you have posted. Is this a design feature or do you plan to add UI in the future?

We've tried to keep a minimalistic HUD and convey as much information as possible in-game. We still show some prompts/outlines for contextual actions, such as picking up objects, interacting with mechanisms, customizing weapons and such (although those UI elements are toggable too), but otherwise we try to keep it as clean as possible.

Here's a quick example. We don't show information about your ammunition, so you either count your bullets to keep track or check ammo in-game as shown here:

Thanks to both for the kind comments!
noctical
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »

Here's a small clip demonstrating one of the traps you're able to use (click for HQ version):

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 01:51:45 PM »

There's only 2 of you? whaaaaaaaaa??

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic