Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:50:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMars Power Industries Deluxe - mystery puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mars Power Industries Deluxe - mystery puzzle  (Read 5140 times)
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »

Hello everyone!
Let me show you a game I'm making with my friends! We started this on Global Game Jam 2018, quite a fun game evolved from the initial idea!

Mars Power Industries is a Power Management Puzzle.
It's colony management, HEAVILY inspired by Dune, but you only care about electricity and oil. We got a hidden story, we got sci fi tones, we got mmmmmm square-wavey future music stolen straight from the hit 1957 film Bladeru Runneru.
Check it out!

Team:
- Arek @rarykos (that's me) : Game Design, Art Direction, Sound Design, Programming
- Lukasz @lukz_dev : Programming, additional Game Design
- Piotr @evilentity : Programming, Tool Programmer, iOS know-it-all
- Kuba : Pixel Artist, the person that brought you pixel colour #45cc46 and who could forget #3288ff

Technologies:
- Unity (ehm.... it... works.... sometimes.... TERRIBLE for 2D games. We don't have the PRO version so we're peasants in the eyes of the almighty godsend Unity corporation)
- Photoshop & Aseprite for pixel art
- Animate (new Adobe Flash) for mockups, prototyping and art direction.
- Adobe Audition for sound design. I got the awesome music from MACHINIMASOUND. They're really good.
- HitFilm for videos, screenToGif for gifs.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:04:33 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »

Update!

Big changes!
We've decided to change the towers! Hopefully it's easier to decode which towers power which tiles.
Also I changed the POWER symbols. I think they look nicer, maybe they're a bit easier to read now. Shocked
And the biggest change - the interface!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:15:13 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:34:42 PM »

Another week!

This time the interface is almost done. I've finished messing with colours and hopefully everything works without bugs. Our biggest challenge was "How to represent lack of power". And keep in mind, that we didn't want to change everything to accommodate these new icons. So over time, over the past few months we've been going through a few ideas. All bad. I'm not sure about this one. But maybe it will be THE ONE.

This is the game over the months Shocked

1.Ah global game jam, everyone's so hopeful and naive!

2.Okay this HAS to be on a grid to actually work as a puzzle. Problems begin here...

3. Hey guys how about this light colour scheme? This won't add 2 months to the development time. Not at ALL.

4.Hey I can't find power icons, how can we make them noticeable? BAM!

5. Mars Candy Saga, my terrible child :D

6. What else represents power? Lamps! What a terrible idea that was Shocked Please don't stare too much senpai.

7.Hey we actually got somewhere! Only 5 months of our spare time gone and we have the jam game almost done!  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:16:11 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »

First gameplay trailer!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:16:48 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 06:29:03 AM »

well shit, how did this happen  Who, Me?

Mars got featured in the app store as one of the Best New Preorders!
Yay!

I don't think I did a good job with the screenshots on the app store, maybe judge for yourselves?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mars-power-industries/id1380742537?mt=8&ign-mscache=1

I'm still implementing the feedback I got from testers, and of course they featured the game while it still has the old placeholder icon lol

Eventually Mars will come for web and android, it's Unity, and I already tested these versions, won't be too long!

Stay tuned for the new version and a new mechanic!
And thank you for reading if anyone's reading this!

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »

Looks interesting. I dig the pixel art and animations. I'm curious to see what more gameplay looks like.  Good luck with the game! Blink

Biijii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »

I like the aesthetic, the sprites and animations all look really polished. The color pallete change worked really well.

As someone with no knowledge of the potential screenshots you could have taken, those screenshots seem fine. My only idea would be to add an "action" shot where you are in the middle of dragging a tower to be placed, because otherwise you have to infer a bit on how the gameplay will work. Maybe it would be tricky to show that it's in motion though, idk.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:48:54 PM »

I like the aesthetic, the sprites and animations all look really polished. The color pallete change worked really well.

As someone with no knowledge of the potential screenshots you could have taken, those screenshots seem fine. My only idea would be to add an "action" shot where you are in the middle of dragging a tower to be placed, because otherwise you have to infer a bit on how the gameplay will work. Maybe it would be tricky to show that it's in motion though, idk.

Aaah I see, yeah it might be a bit difficult to understand Shocked

I'm trying to simplify this a bit!
I do have a new mechanic, but I'm holding out for a new update soon for testers :D
Thank you for commenting!

Looks interesting. I dig the pixel art and animations. I'm curious to see what more gameplay looks like.  Good luck with the game! Blink

Yay, thank you! :D The gameplay is fairly simple, but it does have its own curious challenges to make people think! Thank you for commenting! Means a lot!

Okay, time for an update!
The game will come out on August 15th! It's set in stone now, preorders will fly in 3 weeks!
So nice to have it almost finished now :D

If you'd like to test, please send me a message PM with your email.
Or preorder the game, it was featured in appstore in the US, Australia and Canada, it must be at least okay!
-- Apple App Store

edit:
haha i'm sorry for constantly being at 90% done, it was 90% done in february and then I was constantly changing the last 10%.
The fun part is that in these last 10% about half of the game's levels were done :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:17:49 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 06:27:11 AM »

So now that we're getting close to the end, let's examine the road!

First we had some fun building the GGJ idea. It was bad. But after a few days We thought it could be expanded upon.
We used Asana for project management and I think you can clearly see when we had our testing sessions...

The game was built and rebuilt so many times, but 3 moments stand out:

• Initial joke idea finished (February to 1st April) - we're making this game to learn Unity, just something to showcase experience in our resumes. We won't publish this game. It's just nice to have that initial Global Game Jam idea finished.
  • Day[9]'s 30 Day Challenge failed (1st April to 1st May) - hey people say this is kinda fun, we can polish this,  change the mechanic, upgrade the visuals and maybe publish this! This will take a month guys. Really. I'm sure...
  • "Real" Game (1st May to June 24th) - Okay so we couldn't do this in 30 days.... So many issues came up. But we have our jobs, we can continue doing this slowly, polishing the game, give it the time it deserves. People had fun! Let them have more!
  • Polish (June 24th - present) - August 1st, I'm sure we'll have it done guys! Let's just quickly do this beta test thing. And I'm sure nothing will come up. We've sorted all the bugs, right? And the design is solid, right? Narrator: They were not.

This brings us to the final week!
We need to sort out our press kit, add the remaining levels, update the app store. We've localized the game to 12 languages so everyone can play in their own native language (yay).
Final build in a week.
Let's finish this!

Thank you for your time!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:18:19 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 12:39:46 AM »

Well it's out!

And it's featured :D

And it's the #5 best selling puzzle in the US Shocked Damn!

It's on iOS now, android and web versions will come in a month!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:19:02 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »

Okay, We're working hard to get this game on Steam!
 Not quite there, it takes a lot of time...
But there's cause to celebrate!

Hurray!!!! We have an android version! It's time for party music!

It's more levels, more mechanics, more music.
It's about 3 hours now.

And there's this very nice review from PocketGamer!

It's incredible to think how this little game achieved so much. We got Game of The Day in the US and China and 113 other countries! Shocked
We've recently hit over 10k copies sold. I think it's time for post mortem soon!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:20:15 AM by Rarykos » Logged

kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »

Congrats on the progress and hardwork. It's pretty cool to see how you guys were just learning Unity to start, and ending up accomplishing much more and having published apps on ios/android, and getting featured by apple. Can I ask what you guys did to get featured in the pre-order category?
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2018, 12:21:08 AM »

Congrats on the progress and hardwork. It's pretty cool to see how you guys were just learning Unity to start, and ending up accomplishing much more and having published apps on ios/android, and getting featured by apple. Can I ask what you guys did to get featured in the pre-order category?

Thank you!
It's incredible what's happened here.

We did nothing to get featured. We have no marketing power no connections and press doesn't want to cover small ordinary looking puzzle games. We just got lucky. Apple is looking at all entries. If it's something they like, it gets featured.
There's an official form when you release a game, and you write about yourself and the game and tell them the reasons why you think the game should be featured, and it also works. They read that.
To be honest, my opinion on these giants has changed. We talked with an iTunes editor at one point, got us an email. Said we should remind him when we release the game. Apple's dev support is quite good.
Our experience with Apple is great. This little success boiled down to - "make a good game".
It's completely different with Google.
Our game doesn't do ads or in-app purchases or shady tracking.
So it doesn't interest google and their algorithm.
There is no google employees or editors that look at games and choose the fun ones.
In Google Play we're trying to game the algorithm using the strategy "any means necessary,no matter the players' experience".
Terrible, really.
We met a google editor at one convention. The person didn't care for games, for their fun, for their message or design. You made a 3 hour game? Why? You should be making match-3 pet the cat sims. Infinite replayability.
They cared only for statistics and they valued most how much players are spending and how long they're sticking around...

I'm quite bad at making promotional things, so there's that, but in-game Mars looks quite good. And plays okay. Has an interesting mechanic. And all it took to get featured in Apple was to make a good game!

Haha that was a fun rant! But this sat on my stomach for a while...

KPas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 03:43:21 AM »

I'm quite bad at making promotional things, so there's that, but in-game Mars looks quite good. And plays okay. Has an interesting mechanic. And all it took to get featured in Apple was to make a good game!

Haha that was a fun rant! But this sat on my stomach for a while...

I say: way to go!  Toast Right

kuroro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to whats next.
Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 02:00:25 AM »

We're on Steam, for real!
So we got contacted by a publisher to prepare a deluxe version for Switch and PC/Mac/Linux.
A year later it's ready! With more levels and more mechanics etc.

We kept this a secret. A special new trailer is coming, seems like everyone will be surprised.  Smiley

2 weeks to the GRAND PREMIERE!
Wishlist the game!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/977230/Mars_Power_Industries_Deluxe/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:22:52 AM by Rarykos » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 02:01:18 AM »

Let's talk about finishing games.
Number incoming!

It took us 10 months to make Mars. With a big update at the end.
We're close to the anniversary now and I'm still working on the game, why?

Work that goes into the game:

40% is actual game making. Code & Art & Sound.
40% is marketing, trailers, gifs, SEO, uploading builds to stores. Preparing art for all the different uses.  
20% is support and bug fixing.

What's the outcome?

I'll just share the iOS data, the rest I'll prepare for a proper post mortem in like a week.
Mars sold 25k copies over the year.
We got $17k from sales.
See for yourself!

Little peaks are various features.
Grand peaks are our efforts.

How good is that?
Kinda bad, it's good pocket money, but...
Divide 17k by 4, lose 25% on taxes and you get...
$3k per person for year. And we've been working for a year.

If we were hoping to sustain ourselves solely on this we would starve.

You saw that 40% of work on this game is marketing etc. Reaching out for opportunities.
One thing we did was make a DELUXE edition. Put it on Steam. It's been gathering wishlists!
Deluxe means more levels and more music etc.

See that grand peak?
That's where we finished the steam game page. Got the proper tags and promotional materials done.
The lesson here is that you need to have all assets ready and done for the page on day 1.
You get some eyes there.
And if you can do proper SEO on Steam, you'll get 40 wishlists per day.
Commercial games average 200 per day.

See that drop after the grand peak?

That's when the Steam's "recommended" algorithm changed. And all indies were hit.
Everybody suddenly lost half or more store page visits.
In our case, because we are not released yet, we lost 80%.

We sit at 400 wishlists right now. That's bad.
Day 1 you sell 20% of these wishlists.
Day 7 you sell 50% of wishlists.
Over the year you sell 400% wishlists.

Looks like our grand premiere on Steam won't be as successful as it was on iTunes.
But we will try our best, not all cards have been played yet!

At least it's a very good learning experience,
I can tell you that putting games on Steam is hard and doing it well is very difficult.
The amount of work around these games is OH MY GOD...

There's a Switch version coming.
Unfortunately  we've had huge problems with our console publisher, as is common in this industry.
Lessons here:
- Read the contract thoroughly.
- Make sure the publisher has penalty fees for them being late or not delivering what's written in the contract.
- There are many many many publishers who want to exploit you. Most of my colleagues in the industry with their indie games have been exploited by sleazy publishers. Such publishers promise to hire artists for new art but they never deliver. They just want to take a slice from a successful product with no investment.

Based on our experience and knowledge of this industry - you probably don't need a publisher.
If one comes to you... that means your game will sell by itself. And the publisher won't do anything for it.
If the worst comes, you will have to do the publisher's job on your own and you will HAVE to share the revenue with them. Alternatively, some games were just shelved for years. Beware!

Now, you might need someone to do marketing and all that stuff.
 I'd suggest hiring or sharing revenue with a PR person or an agency. They are much more useful than publishers. We live in the times when the consumers decide what's popular, not publishers. Internet posts, gifs and videos are much more important than contacts with journalists or whatever resident consumers the publisher might offer.

Okay, that's all of my thoughts for now!
I'll be back with more informational posts what I've learned, and most importantly, what I wish I read here on this forum 6 years ago.

Please wishlist the game!

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »

It's done!
You can finally see what the fuss was all about!

There was so much last minut bugfixing and tiny changes it broke my heart...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic