Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:33:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBig Bad Bounty | HacknSlash,Looter,Roguelite? PROTOTYPE AVAILABLE!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Big Bad Bounty | HacknSlash,Looter,Roguelite? PROTOTYPE AVAILABLE!  (Read 12315 times)
ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2018, 06:00:12 AM »

Hello:
My name is Corey Shillingford, This is the first game I’m making called “Big Bad Bounty”

I’m an artist by trade but After seeing the gong show that was the triple A industry recently I kept thinking to myself, why?! I could do that better! So instead of just talking about it I’m deciding to take some action, learn basic coding and see if I can actually do better.

So I figured I’d get the ball rolling by posting a little about what my game is about and the art and some screen shots that I have done so far. Any suggestions are welcome, since I am a one man team I would love for other peoples feedback to make this game better.

Elevator Pitch:
A Drifter exploring the shifting frontiers in search of worthy opponents.

Overview:
Tired of the weaklings on your planet of rainbow land you and your demonic unicorn hood go to planet ODIUM, a place that contains the biggest baddest outlaws in the galaxy.
Armed with a rusted blade and your demonic sidekick you explore the shifting frontier in search of alien weaponry, rainbow tonics and worthy opponents. The bounty on your head represents your status within society, the more outlaws you slay the higher your bounty will grow giving you access to more weaponry and items, but the higher your bounty is the more enemies will begin to hunt you down trying to claim the bounty on your head.
Besides the piles of whoop ass you can dish out with your trusty blade you also have, Your demonic friend can possess various alien weaponry to support you at range, a collection of grenades and other items of destruction, and alien mods that you can find scattered around the frontier.
After a long day of Bounty Hunting head back to Bubbas Saloon kick off your shoes and have a nice cold glass of RainbowTonic. Here is where you can purchase various weapons to take into the field with you, tonics that can add permanent gains, and new edges for your piece of crap sword. The higher your bounty the more prestigious artillery you will have access to.

TEST THE GAME OUT AND TELL ME HOW IT IS!!!

Verson 08

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9ktxx5qbfmsjt9/BigBadBounty_Game_V08.zip?dl=0

Check out the current Landing page:
https://www.facebook.com/Big-Bad-Bounty-1731589070236037/

Here's some current gameplay footage of where I'm at in the game development.

My main Character "Crimson Unicorn"

Here are some early weapon concepts of what ranged weapons might look like

Here are some enemy concepts, Many gangs will roam the land some lone drifters

others part of a gang like the tumbleweed gang

And this is Senji he'll be my animal companion on this journey

Thank you for stopping by! I'll be posting updates daily to show my progress.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:46:31 AM by ShillyShills » Logged

PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »

Very cool art direction! Love to see where this is going  Smiley

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »

I realised that I haven’t been doing art with the intention of the pieces being finalized. So today I figured I would revisit my main character. I did a few sketches  a lot of bad ones but It lead to me realise how bad her melee attacks looked so I am revising them starting today and into the following days. 

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 07:28:27 PM »

Very cool art direction! Love to see where this is going  Smiley

Thank you! Glad to have someone along for the ride Smiley

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »

I figured I’ll rough out the animations and then focus on creating the attack FX because the FX will most likely cover up most of the character and your focus will mainly be on that instead of what the character is doing. So after tackling the attack FX it definitely made the game feel juicer and in turn more fun. I also revisited the movement while attacking so now it feels more impactful when you attack an enemy because it will slow your speed when you attack.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 07:30:26 PM »

Today I want to do some art and draw more of my main character, so I can get a better understanding of how to draw her/him not sure what gender yet. To give myself some intent when I draw I’m going to make it so that this will be a piece of promo art for the game.
Had quite a bit of fun doing this illustration just letting loose and realising again why I enjoy doing art. And now finally I have some sort of Piece to sort of get the games name out there a bit. Also had some time today to start a new attack animation where you vacuum enemies in then smash them to pieces.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »

Loving the art style! Animations look really cool too.

With this animation:

Have you tried cutting out the inbetween? I feel like it'd look waaaaay more snappy if it went straight between the keys. Maybe a teeny bit of overshoot? The poses look REALLY cool, but the movement feels a bit cushioned.

What do you use to sketch out your animations btw?

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 04:33:18 AM »

Loving the art style! Animations look really cool too.

With this animation:

Have you tried cutting out the inbetween? I feel like it'd look waaaaay more snappy if it went straight between the keys. Maybe a teeny bit of overshoot? The poses look REALLY cool, but the movement feels a bit cushioned.

What do you use to sketch out your animations btw?

Thanks! I definitely know what you mean by it feeling a bit cushioned, when I add the character I'm gunna add the ease ins and ease outs and polish the timing for sure, Thank you for the critic! I appreciate it  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Its not ideal but I'm using Photoshop to animate just so I can have less programs to worry about since I do my art in there and so far its the only program where I can get the look that I'm going for, the other animation programs tend to give a certain look that I kind of feel has been done to death.

ravioli
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 05:23:54 AM »

Really love the style, especially the background design. Giving me Maurice Noble vibes  Kiss
ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »

Really love the style, especially the background design. Giving me Maurice Noble vibes  Kiss

Thanks! must be the years in animation school and watching old school looney toons helping me out.

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:34:31 AM »

Love the art and animations so far. Is the main character's body split in 2?

I really dig the design of the enemies in particular. It's been a while since I've looked at a game's enemy design and think "that looks neat".

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 02:17:27 PM »

Love the art and animations so far. Is the main character's body split in 2?

I really dig the design of the enemies in particular. It's been a while since I've looked at a game's enemy design and think "that looks neat".

Thanks Jesse, Yup their body is cut in two because they're supposed to be part robot and I was thinking it could make for cool attack moves.

I appreciate that, I'm really trying to make the art look somewhat unique since art is my main skill set. 

ByerN
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:26:31 PM »

I like your art style (like the rest of commenters xD) Observing Smiley
ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »

I like your art style (like the rest of commenters xD) Observing Smiley
Appreciate it!  Smiley

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:30 PM »

Today will be a background day  trying to get a nice feel for the environment. Im gunna be jumping around from day to day so every aspect of the game can come up together.
So I got around to getting the first gackground to a level where I could see if it was working or not. I’m a little unhappy still but I’m definitely getting closer with the sunset sky and more detail in the stone to show that it’s a bullet riddled land. Also quickly redid the previous bullet sprite.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:22:31 PM by ShillyShills » Logged

Cannoncow
Level 1

The Glitch Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 05:55:34 AM »

The art style is 10/10  Hand Thumbs Up Left

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:20:36 AM »

The art style is 10/10  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thank you! it means a lot to hear the love for the art style  Tears of Joy

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »

I want to add more depth to the levels like ori and the blindforest. So my plan for today is to make it so that there is interesting depth within the level that I started yesterday.
I added more depth to the BG, altered the colors a bit tried to make it more organised lemme know what you all think?

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »

Today was a bit of a slow day because of some personal life stuff, but I figured I’d show the lineup of enemies I have in mind and the new attack I'm working on.
The new attack is going to be a sort of ultimate move that is charged by each enemy you kill. I was considering calling it The Unicorn Blessing.

ShillyShills
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »

Implemented the code for the ultimate attack and made it so that you can use the charge you gain from killing enemies to heal your self or use your ultimate attack. I’m also trying to implement an exp bar to show progression and to increase difficulty as you gain in rank.
Implementing the exp bar went smoothly so I’m making the healthbar in the same manner, I also added a red flash on screen when an enemy hits you for more visual feedback. I’m hoping its not too jarring.
Just wanted to put my thoughts out to you guys, I was thinking about the enemies that roam the world. Most of them roam in gangs and I was thinking that these gangs would all have gimmicks like the tumbleweed gang I’m working on right now, there could also be other gangs like a skull gang obsessed with skulls or a Lettuce Kill you Crew who are obsessed with lettuce. If anyone has ideas for interesting/funny/cool gimmicks for gangs leave a comment letting me know!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic