Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:09:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlatlanders- Puzzle RPG Pet sim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flatlanders- Puzzle RPG Pet sim  (Read 818 times)
poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Raise li'l guys

Fight monsters

Solve puzzles

Read the blog | Follow on twitter
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:18:04 PM by poe » Logged

poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:14:46 AM »

Intro

Hello and thanks for checking out my new game! It’s a puzzle RPG for html5 and mobile platforms. The game is currently in an alpha state, but I’m aiming for testing within the next few months.

Gameplay

There’s a few major pieces to the gameplay. Your goal as a player is to restore the habitat of tiny people called “lil’ guys” in order to turn it into a livable place.** To do this, players will raise their “lil’ guys” to strengthen them up, lead them into the dungeon, and defeat monsters that are poisoning the Flatlands. This week I’ll be discussing the dungeon.

This is the dome that players will be trying to fix up

The dungeon, and our first encounter with our new partner

Players will flip tiles in a four by four grid, each one will have a value of 0-3 which will gain the player points. Get a 0 and your multiplier is reset. Flip tiles until you get all the points and reach the next floor, but be careful, monsters and other special random encounters could be lurking under any tile to impede your progress.

The circles on the edge of each row/column is equal to the sum of the points in the row, and the red circle indicates how many zeroes exist.

Notable changes

This month I’ve set up the “pic button” to take a 360 degree gif screenshot of the game. Players will be able to share these on twitter/other social media from within the game.

I’ve done some work towards quests, the splash screen, the app icon, and a few shaders.

Wrap Up

That’s it for now; I plan on updating this blog once a month. Feel free to ask questions about the game, drop suggestions, or share any other thoughts you have either on here or through twitter.

Want to be involved as things are developed? Want to test the game before anyone else? Hop on discord and give me a shout.

Peace!

GIF of the month

poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:16:10 AM »

Intro

Wow I missed two months of monthly posts (or I’m right on time for my quarterly post maybe..). Well I’ve been busy in that time so not much was accomplished and the things that were seemed to small to bother posting. However; in the last few days I’ve begun work on the battles!

When a new enemy is spotted it’s also named

Players will have the regular selection of attacking, items, and running.

Different moves will be learned based on how you raise your lil’ guy

Notable changes

In addition to the core of the battle system, I’ve setup a lot of behind the scenes things to work with the direction of where I want the game to go which will make progress quicker when I reach those points. I’ve also planned out the first 15 moves and five enemies, but they’re going to need lots of attention to feel nice and polished.

Lastly I’ve setup the UI for hatching new lil’ guys as well as naming them, but I’m not posting it because I think it will get a second pass soon.

Wrap Up

I’m planning on moving into testing within the next month or two. You can join the Discord

to be part of that group and see some exclusive screenshots.

GIF of the month

poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »

Intro

This month I've moved forward with tying together all the game elements as well as adding in the loot screen. This is where you will open capsules for in-game items to customize your li'l guys with.

Notable changes

Behind the scene I’ve setup a few more things for the battle system, as well as a lot of work on customization. I’ve also begun to redesign the battle system window to look better based on feedback I’ve received on twitter.

Wrap Up

This month you’ll certainly want to join the Discord because I plan on starting testing before the end of March! In addition I’ll also be giving away promo keys to unlock special items.

GIF of the month

poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »

Intro

The past few months I’ve been working on variety and some tweaks to the visuals. First up I have the new battle UI.

Of course things are still subject to change between now and release. Additionally I’ve been working on particle effects for the battle moves to make them feel more alive.

In the coming months I’ll have quite a bit more time to dedicate to the project so progress should be more plentiful.

Notable Changes

More behind the scenes tweaks on the battle system as well as a lot of work with planning. Additionally I’ve worked on the system for hatching li’l guys.

Wrap Up

As I continue to post progress, our Discord is growing in numbers which has been useful in gaining feedback. As a reward I’ll be sure to give out promo keys to active and early members!

GIF of the month

poe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 03:23:13 PM »

It's been quite some time since I've updated here but seeing as alpha is on the horizon I figured I'd come through to make an update!

First is the redesign of the lil' guys:

Secondly the battle scene has been revisited (especially the UI!)

I've implemented furnishing the Microdome

....and designed a few more enemies.

Lastly I've added outfitting the lil' guys

Right now I'm revisiting the tutorial as well as optimizing. Then I'll move into adding more content! If you want to discuss the game why not hop in Discord?

More soon!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic