Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:47:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRocket Punch - PlayStation Camera game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rocket Punch - PlayStation Camera game  (Read 1180 times)
BulchyC
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:12:56 AM »

What are you doing?

You know those old clips from TV where the actor is trying way too hard to make it look like they’re playing a game, waving the controller around and mashing buttons?
Well that’s my game Rocket Punch.

Rocket Punch uses the PlayStation Camera to track the controller, so say you need to punch that inanimate object with a face up on the top left of the screen, then you’ll need to hold the controller up above your shoulders and stretch over to your left.

The backstory here is that it’s the year twenty-X-X, and global warming continues to devastate the earth, the only hope for humanity is to punch the Sun right in the face. And you’ll punch the faces of old satellites, space Nazis, and 80s techno demons as you go.

Oh, and I’m also sneaking another fun thing in there for people to discover: Rocket Punch changes how you play the game depending on how you hold the controller, so hell it can be a light gun game or even a text adventure if that’s what you decide to try out.

Why would anyone do that?

When the PS4/Xbox One generation of consoles came out I was super excited to see some of the weird changes in hardware (touch pads, motion tracking cameras, etc), but as the generation has went on they have been put to disappointingly little use.
I'm still in love with this stuff, and since I've made it my mission in the past to do weird things with game inputs then it seemed like a fantastic opportunity to send a love letter to weird peripherals, underutilised hardware, and that sense of mystery that I've always felt when exploring new hardware.

Who would make such a thing?

My name is Chris, I'm a solo developer. You might have heard of a game I made a few years ago Americlap, which did the rounds at the time, but otherwise nothing that made as much of an impact.
I got into game development mostly as a hobby after I finished uni and was trying to figure out what to do with myself, a few corporate jobs which I hated later and I decided to quit all that, get a part time job in a shop, and make a real go of the games thing.
Rocket Punch will be my first commercial game.

I imagine you have a lovely accent and/or are fun to look at

I'm keeping a YouTube devlog that I'm trying to make more entertaining than technical. You can find the whole playlist here.

Is anyone interested in this, or at least viewing it as a curiosity?

Polygon - ‘Idiot gaming’ developer is back with a PS4 game that’ll make you act like an imbecile

You actually gonna finish this thing?

Updates:

2018/06/28 - Photo Mode
2018/08/09 - First Pass Art Done

Next deadline: 24th of August

Default mode playable from start to finish

Implement all of that lovely art I've been doing, then design levels and if time boss fights for the default control mode. Game should be able to be completed in the default control mode, though will still be a bit rough around the edges.

Where can I troll you?

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BulchyC
Press Kit: http://shameintercontinental.com/press/rocket-punch
Email: [email protected]
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:13:20 AM by BulchyC » Logged
Daywalker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »

Looking good so far

but a shadow of the past ..
BulchyC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »

New video up on YouTube showing off the photo mode I put in as a laugh while I plod along with art for other stuff. It's a big dumb bit of fun and let's you peek in at the inner workings of the game a little bit more.

It really exposes what a mess this whole thing is Grin

And of course would it even be a photo mode without Instagram-style filters?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:42:58 AM by BulchyC » Logged
BulchyC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:10:55 AM »

Finally got around to finishing the first pass of art (got enough done for my next milestone, making the game playable from start to finish), despite a rough couple of months work wise with a family emergency and my partner, a teacher, being off work for summer and needing entertaining haha.
For the final boss I decided on something a little weird and fun. And you know what, I might only get one shot at making a PS4 game, so screw it, I'm putting myself in as a boss xD

Most of the level background art mock ups, though in game most of these will have some level of animation.

Oh and here's my dumb self dressed up as the Sun, ready for you all to give me a good punch in the face!
BulchyC
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:15:20 AM »

I've had a little time off due to some exciting stuff happening in my life right now, between looking at wedding venues and starting a new part time job I've kinda got out of practice, so I thought I'd throw together a bit more of a process video for one of the boss fights to help me get back into the swing of things.

Other than being a bit behind schedule I'm pretty happy with how things are going, one more boss to script, and then it's right into level design. I can feel that playable game right around the corner now, and man I can't wait to reach that big milestone.

And here's our guy in his natural environment, just imagine more FMV flames.
Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:39 AM »

What a crazy, awesome, crazy-awesome concept! Changing play style based on how the controller is held is a great idea (and woot text adventure mode!), I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more. Coffee

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic