Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1345038 Posts in 61695 Topics- by 53258 Members - Latest Member: skfs

August 16, 2018, 01:14:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Halted] Book of the Shadow Flame
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Halted] Book of the Shadow Flame  (Read 1107 times)
Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2018, 05:38:03 PM »

Book of the Shadow Flame is just a concept right now, I will start to work on the game right away.

The basic idea is a terraria-like world exploration game, where there are mysteries to solve (not so much focused on building but more on exploration - if building will be a thing at all)

Just a concept so far

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:18:44 AM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:56:48 AM »

Mk, so we're going to build a world loading/rendering algorithm.

[technical]

We're going to be building this game up pretty much from scratch, using a custom collision system, file reading system (down to the binary), and all the bare-bones of a game . Here's an outlook of the libraries I've just finished writing yesterday, to set up my game dev kit:
    * Shadow Port
    * Shadow Reader (these two are just to compile my #Shadow language into whatever I am using)
    * Key (used for keyboard checks)
    * System (basic window control)
    * Symbolic Text (get rid of ascii, since I find it super messy the way it's organized)
    * Array Kit (for dealing with structured lists)
    * Buffer (for buffering/reading 2/4 byte ints/uints, and NULL-terminated strings)
    * Files (basic hot-kit for file access)
    * Key Input (for reading a stream of keyboard input, a.k.a. for typing a name in-game)

[/technical]

Currently I will be using Game Maker 8.0 as that is what I've used for a long time in my life, and that's what my #Shadow code is currently compiling for .

Of course, I don't like windows all that much, and prefer to release a HTML5 game, but we will see if we are able to port this language to HTML5 in the future

[Dev Log 1]
Oh great.. just remembered I need a console library lol, was writing it yesterday and forgot about it  Shrug Shrug

Alright, gotta get that set up before we start anything !

[Dev Log 2]

Had to fix a graphics glitch which didn't allow my text to draw correctly

[Observation 1]

Mmm.. I think I will have trouble without a decent UI library, so probably I will have to write one later

[Dev Log 3]
Done writing the log script !  Coffee Coffee

(no bugs plx!)

[Dev Log 4]

Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee

[Dev Log 5]

Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee Coffee

[Dev Log 80]

Oh wait..

[Dev Log 6]

Got my little console working (after a few tweaks), now I will just perfect it and make a library out of it  Hand Thumbs Up Left

[Dev Log 7]
Oatmeal break !  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

[Dev Log 8]

Ahhh.. Much better !

[Dev Log 9]

Omg.. I did not know writing such a simple console required 400 lines of (highly complex) code !?
I think I am going crazy WTF
water..   need..   water ..

I mean the lines of code themselves I don't mind... but like.. it has to be PERFECT, or else it won't work..
That's crazy

[Dev Log 10]

Looks like I finally have some balls in my game

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:55:30 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »

[Day 2]

[Dev Log 11]

The start of a new day ! =D

We will start by creating a static-world rendering algorithm/library, since we will probably have a lot of static objects in our game Smiley

[Note]: This library is quite complex and insanely difficult to create, I don't know that I will be able to do it in a single day to the standards I have, even if I use my #Shadow language (I'd say it'd take about 2,000 perfect #Shadow code lines)

(BTW, my previous attempt at creating this, using GML instead of #Shadow code took me about a month's work.. wait.. was it two months?? and I didn't finish it.. lol)

[Dev Log 12]

Time to call it a day, there was some progress but nothing major, still need to solve a lot of problems in order to pull this off.

Tomorrow I am having a day of rest, so I probably won't post anything (if I am able to contain myself.. lol)

That's it for today !  Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:37:34 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »

[Day 4]

[Dev Log 13]

Oh y'know.. doin' my research (seems to be difficult to get this right)

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »

[Day 6]

[Dev Log 14]

Exploring different methods of world information storage, we are quite limited machine-power wise, but I should be able to create something solid . (though afterwards I will still have to create the rendering engine/library also)

Slowly but surely.. got to stay faithful !

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »

[Day 7]

[Dev Log 15]

I think we're onto something (still need to write it)

[Dev Log 16]

A lot of dimensions to deal with ^.^'

[Dev Log 17]

World navigation/manifestation & saving/loading implemented

Now just need to write the rendering engine (a more optimized one than the current one)
Believe it or not, this is probably one of the most complex parts, to tie it all together .

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 10:57:30 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »

[Day 9]

[Dev Log 18]

Still solving a few problems, not quite there just yet . (making reasonable progress, on the rendering engine that is)

I think this'll be my last update for the week, going to probably take a nice break now from programming, watch a few movies or something
(my mind is.. well.. still alive, I hope?)

Enjoy your weekend Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »

[Day 11]

[Dev Log 19]

Just piecing the last bits together, we should be finished with the rendering engine today =)
(or tomorrow.. lol)

[Dev Log 20]

Added zoom (10x in, 10x out) and fixed up the graphics so that there is a rendered area .

Now just need to connect a few algorithms to actually render parts of the world (and dynamically & efficiently shuffle rendered areas as the camera is moved around, including freeing un-needed memory 'n what not.. yea.. we don't want memory leaks *-*) .

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:09:51 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Permafrost11
Level 0

[Sample Text]

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 04:36:28 PM »

Looks alright so far, I find it interesting you decided to program the text renderer first.

You should totally check out my game: ...
Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

Looks alright so far, I find it interesting you decided to program the text renderer first.

Thx, I suppose it's been kind of heavily technical so far (the work done).. but hopefully I will be able to start working on some game content soon Smiley

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 06:46:15 AM »

[Day 12]

[Dev Log 21]

It is done .

Now, I need to separate the world renderer into a neat library to be easily able to use it in my games (It's already in it's own folder with its own files so this shouldn't take too long), then I will create a simple level editor and start creating our Shadow Realm Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

(since this update only changes the rendering algorithm there is almost no visible change to the actual application, only to the performance.. so I guess it's pretty pointless to show a screenshot =P)

[Explanation]

As for those wondering why on earth I would take such a long time creating some library which does God knows what..

Well.. (awkward silence..)

It's basically a world-storage/rendering library, so that I can create infinite-sized worlds, save them to a file or load them from a file, and render (draw) them in my game using a camera .

(I could use existing engines but I wanted a custom one with zoom, no world boundaries, a custom grid, etc. etc.)

[Statistics - World host, writer, reader & renderer]

Days Taken:        10 (includes rest days)
Lines of Code:     ~ 1.7K (includes empty lines and comments)
Lines of Code/Day: ~ 170
Complexity:        High
Difficulty:        Outrageous/EXTREME
Functions:         44

[Dev Log 22]

Working on a few voice clips to put into the game, and just going to start building the level editor now .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 02:07:07 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 08:28:20 AM »

[Day 13]

[Dev Log 23]

Building my World Builder, there are quite a few things still to do so I'm not sure I'll finish today

[Dev Log 24]

.. (cabbage, what cabbage?)

[Dev Log 25]

Got distracted and watched a movie with my friend.. and mostly was busy half of the day, so will need to catch up on my progress tomorrow
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:47:37 AM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:54 PM »

[Day 14]

[Dev Log 26]

Getting quite a bit done, still a few bits and pieces to connect but it's going well (the World Builder, that is)
I should be able to finish it within a few days, if all goes well

This is the current part I'm working on (the Guide Grid)

[Dev Log 27]

Finished the Guide Grid (~ 250 lines of code), guess we'll see what's next from now

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:21:36 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:25 AM »

[Day 15]

[Dev Log 28]

Working on the selection tool (so far so good)

[Dev Log 29]

Working on the concept a little, will work more on the idea behind the game (such as gameplay, etc.)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:06:43 PM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 04:37:25 AM »

[Day 16]

[Dev Log 30]

Ok I think I figured out the main character

Her name is Xaya

But.. I'm still having a hard time figuring out the odds and ends of this game ^.^' (so far it might be that she will equip some kind of rifle or something.. idk, we'll see..)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:18:50 AM by Daywalker » Logged

Daywalker
Level 0

Honour and Glory

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 07:14:49 AM »

[Halt]

This project is halted as of now, until further notice.

I've come across a few things, and I'm going to start working more with machine code. There is a lot of things I need to learn and build right away, so I'm not sure how long I will be out.

Currently there is a topic which discusses the assembly language compiler (a.k.a. assembler) which I will be making soon:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65126.0

Heavily technical stuff, I might post more information later, and there's always my website/twitter if you ever wish to catch up on what I'm currently working on (will be updating them in a few days):

twitter.com/ssjcoder
ssjstash.net

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic