Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 02:41:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCatacomb Chess
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Catacomb Chess  (Read 537 times)
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2018, 02:03:20 PM »

CATACOMB CHESS

The city of Chessfield is under attack by bloodthirsty creatures! They come from ancient catacombs under the church. King, Queen, bishops, knights, rooks, and pawns descend beneath the surface to end the evil monster menace from down below.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:32:07 AM by woodsmoke » Logged

Olezen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »

I played through the entire game, and I really enjoyed it! The gameplay was very entertaining, the levels were finely crafted, and the impactful sound and slight screen shake really helped to sell the action!
I recommend you to set the framerate to 60 though. I can tell you're using GM:S. If it's GM:S 1, you'll have to change it for every room, but if you're using 2, it's changed in the game settings window.
Also, I found a bug you have to fix ASAP! If you're already holding a piece and click another one, the first one can no longer be placed and you're stuck with one less piece and a sprite on your cursor. Just do a check in code to see if the player is holding a piece before grabbing another one, and you'll likely be all good.
The art wasn't bad, but it could use some improvements in my opinion. But other than that, I really liked it! You could make a level editor for it, as well as possibly adding some new pieces, and you might just have a hit here, especially for mobile!

I recommend seeing MortMort's video on picking nice colours, that video really helped me! Get some "anti-aliasing," shading and nice colours in there, and it'll probably look great!

(But keep the style for the spiders! Being an arachnophobic, they kinda spooked me. Especially with their fast movement!)
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »

Thank you loads for all the feedback; So helpful of you! I will get to fixing stuff but this will take a few days because of real life stuff (2 birthday partys in a row! D:)

Not sure about porting to mobile as I have never done that before. Although I do have a few games that fit mobile perfectly, I'm just not a mobile guy. (I'm on my 1st smartphone which somebody gifted me.) Maybe I'll find the time someday to port to Android at least. Or someone to do it for me.

So cool you played though the entire game, makes me happy!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:40:16 PM by woodsmoke » Logged

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 04:58:07 AM »

Fixed sticky chess piece bug. (only occured with "fresh" pawns, which can move 2 spaces)
The new version has been uploaded.

30fps to 60fps is not happening. I'd need to change alot of animation and movement. Fixing this would be a lot less time spent making new stuff. For this mostly static type of game it's not really needed.

I'm interested in tweaking the enemy pieces colours, but I don't want to make any promises yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:07:44 AM by woodsmoke » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic