Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366373 Posts in 64036 Topics- by 55923 Members - Latest Member: ConneDGames

September 21, 2019, 10:41:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingUndead Valley Pre-Alpha Playtest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Undead Valley Pre-Alpha Playtest  (Read 443 times)
DrunkardWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2018, 01:32:45 PM »

Hey guys, I'm working on a Zombie Survival RPG called Undead Valley. This week I released a pre-alpha build on itch.io and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys! I am already aware that many people have some issues with the player controller and I am working on fixing this, also, if anyone is having performance issues, I am aware of what is causing the issue and am working on a fix, so it should be resolved for the next build. The feedback I am looking for is mainly related to general gameplay. Is it too easy? difficult? boring? etc. Any feedback is greatly appreciated though, no matter how harsh it may be.

Download here: https://drunkardwolf.itch.io/undead-valley-early-playtest
Thanks in advance!

Play my games at https://drunkardwolf.itch.io/<br />They all suck, but whatever.
Bober RS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

There are a lot of bugs. This is a list of problems to solve, sorted descending by importance:
  • Colliders are very inaccurate. I managed to get into a fridge, passing through walls is not even difficult (e.g. I can get out of a building without using the door).
  • Leveling up is somehow broken. Buttons used to distribute perk points and "use" button seem to be not working, or they work randomly. I can't even guess what's happening there when I use up or down keyboard keys.
  • Controlling the character is rather harsh. I'm not sure how I feel about not being able to move left or right using A/D keys. When holding the baseball bat, it's not so obvious to tell which direction I'm oriented in and where will I go when I press forward key. Possibly general movement speed is too low.
  • Steering a car is underdeveloped. Car seems to have too low adhesion and agility (it would be great if it drifted a little when turning fast), going reverse and turning back are quite tedious. It's very easy to get stuck between obstacles like trees. And it's kind of weird to be able to get out of a car when it's moving with maximum speed.
  • Animations: going backward and then stopping doesn't stop the animation; quite often animation of punching is overridden by animation of walking; animation of walking plays inappropriately fast compared to moving speed.
  • When holding baseball bat, interactions with F don't work properly. It concerns talking to npcs or reading texts.
  • Npcs are invulnerable to shooting or hitting by car (in my opinion, killing npc should be possible but unprofitable due to consequences/cutting off some means). I can't talk to npc more than once.
  • When I walk inside a building and the walls get down, shadows of the building on the outside get smaller too.
  • Choosing "continue" from main menu after game over loads some very strange screen (character being stuck inside a car and not being able to move).
  • Sometimes the game crashes after game over.
  • In the main menu, I can't scroll "change log" to the very bottom.
  • Rotating the world using Q/E is a little bit too sensitive.

I know that's just pre-alpha and you're probably conscious of multiple errors. You ask for feedback related to gameplay, but current build is rather far from talking about gameplay. Your product is just too raw and basic for now. Gameplay comes to running through streets, shooting zombies and collecting ammo to shoot more zombies. That's literally it. I couldn't find more than one car, any fuel, car repair kit or shotgun. I was just wandering around and punching zombies with baseball (it turns out to be more efficient than shooting: in particular, hitting a group of zombies can cause multiple damage while shooting affects just one zombie). It's not even difficult, all you have to do is punch, retreat, repeat (no matter how many zombies there are, because they all stack in a queue).

Summarizing, the game looks like the very beginning of some decent rpg. I like the graphics and light, a bit humorous style. Now (after fixing the major bugs) you should focus on expanding the gameplay. There should be many, many more interactions, items, possibilities to gain experience and conquer the game's world. At this stage, I advise not to spend too much time expanding the world (using repeatable interiors), designing rain (which changes nothing in mechanics) or even introducing new npcs (with quests dramatically restrained by mechanics). You should build some personal, exciting and addictive experience, giving satisfaction and sense of progress. I hope you intend to move your project much further than that.
DrunkardWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »

Thanks for giving such detailed feedback. I am aware of several of the bugs you’ve mentioned and am working on fixes, some are bugs I haven’t came across yet, so such a detailed breakdown is very helpful.
I am aiming to address the issues with difficulty in the next build due to feedback from a few places, this includes adding new zombie types, such as sprinters, spitters etc.
Again thanks a bunch for playing and giving feedback, I will be sure to take everything you have said onboard and am already trying to think of ways to address the issues and suggestions you have raised.

Play my games at https://drunkardwolf.itch.io/<br />They all suck, but whatever.
jbarrios
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »

Redington,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

DrunkardWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:40:28 AM »

Okay, pretty confused here :/ Actual dev here wondering why you're trying to take credit for my work??

Proof I'm actual dev btw: my original post in June of 2018 - https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65007.msg1381862#msg1381862

ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 06:09:40 AM »

Okay, pretty confused here :/ Actual dev here wondering why you're trying to take credit for my work??

Proof I'm actual dev btw: my original post in June of 2018 - https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65007.msg1381862#msg1381862

This is an annoyingly common spambot tactic. They'll copy a legitimate old post to avoid suspicion (and avoid having to write a convincing post themselves), then edit sketchy links into their signature at a later date. I've merged the topics and deleted the spammer. I can delete the merged posts too if you'd like; just let me know.

DrunkardWolf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 06:45:56 AM »

Thanks, that makes sense, was very confused when I saw the post  Cheesy At least it sent a few more people to try out the game Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic