Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:46:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat annoys me about modern AAA titles in general
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: What annoys me about modern AAA titles in general  (Read 6797 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »

i am obligated to voice my sense of validation from skipping through newly released cyberpunk gameplay:
as expected from studio that never made fps, gunplay looks questionable, there is no sense of recoil, weird sound, pistol hits do not cancel enemies shooting. there is dismemberment, but its more obvious asset heavy thing.
writing feels like standart european western movie emulation sleaze, there seem to be a lot of first person cutscening forced upon your character, max payne but for real.
On rail cutscenes is what real gamers like, as seen in masterpiece "Kindgong Come Deliverance". Dont know if there is also gamers second most favorite thing - potshots at things that are coded as feminine and therefore weak(game journalists, nato, spirituality thats not norse mythology, females).
Overall, Cyberpunk 77 looks like game from Deep Silver or Focus interacive, but with budget and facilities sustaining its popularity, that make it utterly unlikable and unworthy of title of "eurotrash".
ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 01:08:21 PM »

I'm okay with everything mentioned :D

The older I get, less I'm hyped about open worlds, so I see this just as less yellow Deus Ex 3, which is a good thing.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »

I mean true open world spirit is died unless you are nintendo ... Most open world are busy works to fill out empty space with on rail story gated by pointless side quest.

I still like open world but there is none that matter really, still much better than hand holding corridor set piece that plays themselves.

Now send me a wii u (serious) I need to play xenoblade x!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »

like most social groups or activists for good or ill imagine that the world would be a better place if everyone was just like them. but computer guys are like "it would be the most fucked up, shitty thing imaginable"
Funnily the guys who defined cyberpunk aesthetics never had touch a computer when he wrote it ..

the cyberpunk genre is a product of 80s america. the original concept behind it was "what if reaganomics continued several decades into the future" (which was a good call because it pretty much did). the "punk" part of the name wasn't accidental and in some sense it was just picking up on things that were developing in the punk/new wave subculture at the time.

modern cyberpunk is largely 80s retro kitsch with the occasional token "corporations are bad" message thrown in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:06:07 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

Fun stuff we already known through the tales of "the dutch east india company, the time where a big corp was a world governement, it ended up in the biggest crash known as "tulipmania".
History refuse to change.

Also Walpole.

Corny Laugh Corny Laugh

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 02:21:50 PM »

lets not menttion all evil cyberpunk corporations being explicitly japanese/asian
years ago it was mostly defined as backlash wave to older space adventure sci-fi, ending up as pulp with robots.
but now, in age of truth and reason, collective will of several twitter users made it into pro-lgbt high art social satire.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »

Has there been any good cyberpunk works since the Cold War ended? I am out of the loop.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »

lets not menttion all evil cyberpunk corporations being explicitly japanese/asian
the video game "wasted" published by adult swim games contains a really good joke about the late 80s/early 90s fear of japan that infected all strata of american cultural produce but particularly movies. it includes the following paragraph:

By the year 2000, the Japanese will have the largest economy in the world, of this there can be no doubt. Faced with an enemy who has ideologically and constitutionally renounced war in perpetuity, we will be faced with only one option: we must destroy them utterly in a bitter fight to the death.
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »

Has there been any good cyberpunk works since the Cold War ended? I am out of the loop.
Cyberpunk as a genre has pretty much faded.

Yeah.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »

Generally genre fade when they became undistinguishable with reality, hence why the mainstream uptick of Fantasy&SuperHero™ at all level

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »

Yeah, we now live in screen-filled futuristic cities that feels a bit like dystopia ruled by huge corporations, so cyberpunk is mostly retro-futurism for hipsters and aging nerds. I still like it.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »

What a post cyberpunk world looks like?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:11 PM »

america
seras
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 05:11:43 AM »

also sex on stuffed unicorn is barely a male fantasy unless your a brony clopper

Actually it is a bit of an easter egg - originaly the idea comes from the books.

After watching cyberpunk trailer I was quite hyped, even though I'm not that into the genre. I was more annoyed by Andromeda's character animation.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 04:38:12 PM »

What a post cyberpunk world looks like?

Borderlands?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »

the worst part about AAA games is that we seem to have stopped at 3 As. when or if we are getting a fourth A remains to be seen, however i remain doubtful....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:19:21 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2018, 05:14:38 PM »

Cyberpunk2077 actually skips 4 and goes full AAAAA, if the claims in their demo are to be believed.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:19 PM »

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »

i remember when i was in school i was happy just to get a single A

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

the worst part about AAA games is that we seem to have stopped at 3 As. when or if we are getting a fourth A remains to be seen, however i remain doubtful....
Well
https://www.dejobaan.com/aaaaa/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic