Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:55:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat annoys me about modern AAA titles in general
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: What annoys me about modern AAA titles in general  (Read 6796 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2018, 02:40:11 PM »

What's the difference between dropping from the first floor vs tenth floor?
first floor:  BAM AAAAAAA
tenth floor: AAAAAAA BAM

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

That's a good joke.

ViktorTheBoar
Level 3

Hello :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2018, 05:52:21 AM »

Yeah, except it works better when you tell it the other way around

Lares Yamoir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2018, 08:30:23 AM »

What annoyes me:
- Games as a service, not a product
- Especially if paying extra gives advantages and you need to buy lootboxes
- 100+ hours of mundane game play

Marylle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »

There are big companies behind AAA titles. And behind big companies there are investors/shareholders.

And shareholder is interested in profit margin more than if some people would enjoy the game or not. Latter is a company's headache while balancing out fun with profits, player experience with shareholder interests.

That is why i feel like AAA titles repeat themselves with a proven profit/gaming experience loop  formula, where the players get just enough playability to be satisfied, and shareholders are happy having their part of Return on investment. Triple A company without sharegolders wouldn't be able to produce high quality games though
BoulignyGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2018, 01:47:31 PM »

We could remove the navigation settings if we tested games more but testing takes time and money.

What's the difference between dropping from the first floor vs tenth floor?
first floor:  BAM AAAAAAA
tenth floor: AAAAAAA BAM
Classic

There are big companies behind AAA titles. And behind big companies there are investors/shareholders.

And shareholder is interested in profit margin more than if some people would enjoy the game or not. Latter is a company's headache while balancing out fun with profits, player experience with shareholder interests.

That is why i feel like AAA titles repeat themselves with a proven profit/gaming experience loop  formula, where the players get just enough playability to be satisfied, and shareholders are happy having their part of Return on investment. Triple A company without sharegolders wouldn't be able to produce high quality games though
The lack of new ideas is a problem that fixes itself though. Our existence and the existence of the rest of the indie community is the response. Maybe one day indie will be AAA and games will be like designer products if engines like Unity or Unreal become so good that one guy can do the work of 40.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »

stale AAA Ubisoft: assymetric multiplayer destructible environment stealth game
innoative indie: some dungeon game thats a fan remake of older game
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 02:39:12 AM »

I judge the worth a sector of the industry as inverse to the amount of shitty versions of Super Metroid they put out.
Marylle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:48 AM »

Whenever we played some game 10 years ago and thought to ourselves "oh i would surely make this part differently, what were they thinking". Now with all the engines and tech it's getting easier to release your version of the reskinned game.  Crazy Everyone's oipinion is important, and one day we might end up playing our own games over the others, not to be dramatic  Corny Laugh
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:58 AM »

Whenever we played some game 10 years ago and thought to ourselves "oh i would surely make this part differently, what were they thinking"

I mean, that's sorta the idea behind mods. The same game, except some part of it is different in a particular way. And if you go further back than 10 years it wasn't uncommon for devs to release the source code for their game to make that task easier. It's just that, today, companies don't release the source code for their games ever, and games can generally only be modded if an API has been specifically built for that by the devs, such as for Bethesda games.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that game engines now occupy the space that mods used to take a decade and a half ago. But they were replaced because of the growing pace of the game industry and their need to keep their source proprietary.

kingdomslayer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »

The thing that annoys me is the price lol, not everybody can afford AAA titles but most of the people wanna play them !
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2018, 09:46:53 AM »

Whenever we played some game 10 years ago and thought to ourselves "oh i would surely make this part differently, what were they thinking". Now with all the engines and tech it's getting easier to release your version of the reskinned game.  Crazy Everyone's oipinion is important, and one day we might end up playing our own games over the others, not to be dramatic  Corny Laugh
i mean, they recenty made sotn clone felt like "those flat rooms and broken weapons are what i like"
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2018, 10:55:56 AM »

How to innovate:
Minecraft, pulls together a decade of niche ideas than never worked in the big market and made it the new mainstream (rogue like, survival, procedural, crafting centered, open world, infinite world, block graphics, shallow combat, no tutorial, entirely destructible, etc ...)

AAA answer:
Fortnite, add guns to minecraft

We are fools, the road to success is to take something successful and add gun to it!

BRB I'm going to make stardew valley with guns

BoulignyGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »

stale AAA Ubisoft: assymetric multiplayer destructible environment stealth game
innoative indie: some dungeon game thats a fan remake of older game

LOL That was an extremely wise post.

waipowrectdeapr1976
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

Too much focus and story and graphics and not making something that is actually entertaining.
I want some good old addictive, simple games.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »

That's why they are selling gajillion, because they are not entertaining ...

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2018, 05:43:56 AM »

I want some good old addictive, simple games.
Donkey Kong Country 3, a good old simple game.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
catsgonehome
Level 0

Ohh noo!! The cats gone home!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2018, 11:53:51 PM »

Today's modern games differ a lot from those of the past unfortunately. Most studios focus too much on graphics and little on the story of the game. Of course there are exceptions, but unfortunately they are very rare.
I have been giving up for some time to buy modern games. I prefer to buy old games or try games made by indie developers.
muppetrat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2018, 10:57:59 PM »

The only thing I hate in games are caves urghhhhhh
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2018, 03:00:26 AM »

Main reasons I do not buy games are drm and iap. One or both tend to apply to all new aaa titles. When I do play one they are meh. Great graphics and possibly stories, but not as great as the graphics and stories I get from netflix. Not what I look for in games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic