Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:46:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[FREE ALPHA] Soda Story - Brewing Tycoon - Management/Puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FREE ALPHA] Soda Story - Brewing Tycoon - Management/Puzzle  (Read 1300 times)
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2018, 05:09:09 AM »

Untitled Soda Brewing Game: Code name "Super Soda"

While travelling in the US during 2016, I was trying to think of ideas for a game I could create after my first commercial PC release Fort Meow. I was playing a lot of idle-games at the time on my mobile (literally just upgrading things every few hours, with larger and larger numbers), and was always left a bit wanting after playing them for awhile. The main driver in these types of game are upgrades that are hidden behind ever increasing costs. However, the amount you "earn" from the upgrades ends up supplementing the costs of them and the only thing you really end up spending is time.

Upgrades in general are a great way to design a single goal that is always driving players forward. I also noticed that the idle games I was playing didn't really tend to focus on narrative and were purely a loop of bigger numbers and more upgrades. What if you could combine the two?

So I started thinking of a nice idle-type loop and a way to integrate narrative into the design. Figuring it would be a management style game I looked at games that have tackled similar mechanics. Back when I played World of Warcraft they introduced a mission management system in one of the expansion packs. You managed a group of "followers" and would send them out to complete missions. This cost you an amount of resources to start, and the missions provided upgrades for both your followers and your character. The missions had a time cost, and provided a retention mechanic to supplement the rest of the expansion content by compelling you to come back each day to check how the missions went and to start new ones. The thing I liked about them is how they were also tied into the player levelling experience. You recruited new followers from quest rewards, and also had to complete follower missions as quest objectives.

Early notes from travel! Terrible handwriting Tongue

Could this maybe work in a similar way in an idle type game? Eventually the answer was no...I prototyped a 2D version when I returned from the trip, but realised that PC / console players expect a different type of experience than mobile. They want to sit down after school or work and play a game for however long they want as a form of escapism. Mobile gamers however, play in bursts when they have short periods of downtime. It's more of a distraction or time-filler than escapism.

So the idle part was scrapped. I still wanted to explore the upgrade / management style game but with a narrative touch to tie things together. A lot of pure management games don't really explore narrative either besides the really early tutorial type objectives. So it had to have upgrades and narrative. A narrative based games shares very similar linearity to the upgrade path found in the idle games. Sounds like it could definitely work!

I decided that brewing soda was a fun choice for the upgrade path and the narrative could mold itself around it. In a game-jam game I made called Halls of the Occult the player controlled a prisoner. The idea of controlling a prisoner was still appealing to me, especially in terms of back story building and character development. So the player would control a prisoner, and brew soda...? I guess next is how to tie that together. The answer...reality TV of course! The prisoner would be part of a reality TV show that follows a group of prisoners as they manage a business of their own. The public would be heavily involved and prisoners would gain fans, and ultimately votes towards supporting them and bumping them up the leaderboards. I don't want to get into further spoilers, but I'm planning on having a bunch of fun with prisoner rivals, challenges and reality tv style interviews. The end reward ultimately being your character getting pardoned and released from prison (plus a bunch of prizes!). Doing terribly...? I haven't really locked down anything solid yet, but they're definitely getting a few more months on their prison term.

Layout designs for warehouse and garden

Back to the game as it currently stands! My friend Jon Hulse is doing all the programming, and he's smashing it so far! The old idle game prototype was done in Fusion 2.5 and was really limited and cobbled together by myself. I've always really wanted to collaberate with someone for a game and I've known Jon for ages now, so it was an easy yes when he asked if I wanted to make a game with him. We have been working for a few months now (since last year sometime) and both work full-time jobs. So it's a lot of 2-3 hours a night here and there when we can. We have an early Alpha version we would love feedback on and if you want to check it out, please let me know on twitter at @rhysdee, via email at [email protected] or by leaving a reply in this thread.

Stay tuned for the next devblog and thanks for reading! Have some more images!

Early art tests in complete 3D...ended up scrapping it for a more 2D style.

Early player controller tests - Featuring temporary Wilson!

New player style. The final game will have character customization.

New style for the soda brewer Smiley

How the warehouse is laid out. The camera is very low FOV to give a slight 3D effect to the 2D view.

How it looks at the current stage!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:51:57 PM by RhysD » Logged

Tusky
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »

Nice! Loving the aesthetic

Sounds a bit like a non-alcoholic version of Fiz
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:04:19 AM »

Thanks! I'll have to check out Fiz now you mentioned it, looks fun Smiley

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:44:30 AM »

New version! Also available to download by anyone so we can get as much feedback as possible from players.

https://upperclasswalrus.itch.io/super-soda/devlog/38295/release-notes-version-011

Release Notes - Version 0.1.1

New quest flow to prevent soft-locks
Updated UI for clarity and usability
Added sign to show where to fill watering can
Balanced cube and essence gains
Disabled warehouse mechanic - Soda is now sold directly from Shipping Bay
Prevented player from throwing items into un-retrievable places
Added sprint (default key [shift]) and stamina
New Shipping environment art + truck!
Attempted fix for black garden textures on Mac
Current progress ends at “Earn $200 from Soda Sales” objective

Made sure to draw the entire truck for widescreen players@ Smiley

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 03:19:38 AM »

The past few weeks I've been designing the soda flavour combo system. Using certain combinations of flavours can either increase or decrease the value of the soda you produce. Each combo also comes with associated effects upon consuming it via the "Sample Soda" button on the brewer.

These effects will be important in the structure of the narrative and help drive the player through the story. A lot are also just fun to discover.

From that work, I thought it would be cool to have a short cutscene of your character sampling the soda from the brewer and discovering the effects it gives them.

The video of this can be found in this tweet - https://twitter.com/rhysdee/status/1015552164415131648

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

That's interesting. Can you combine previously made flavors together?

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 09:13:36 PM »

That's interesting. Can you combine previously made flavors together?

Not at the moment. It might be something we consider in the future, but for now with the flavours we have planned there are over 160,000 possible combinations...so that would add quite a lot more Tongue I like the idea though!

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 03:19:47 AM »

New Version! Thanks for the warning about not posting for 120 days forum robot overlords Shocked

https://upperclasswalrus.itch.io/super-soda

We finally figured out a name that hopefully will be memorable and also help describing the game at the same time.

May I present... Soda Story - Brewing Tycoon!

Version 0.2.0

• Added Store app to computer
  • Added Markets app to computer
  • Added a bunch more quests
  • Added Audio!
  • Inventory improvements
  • Press Q to drop highlighted items on actionbar
  • Throw items into inventory containers instead of having to open panels
  • Shift click to quick loot
  • Added notification panel (also shows Research Points and Fans total)
  • Added SodaBot Recharging Station
  • Added a Freezer?
  • More Flavor Essences and Cubes
  • Flavor Cubes all have descriptions
  • You can sample sodas you are brewing
  • Certain soda flavor combinations give you bonuses
  • Storage added to garden
  • Player inventory size increased
  • Bug fixes and improvements

Have some screenshots!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:25:12 AM by RhysD » Logged

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

Here's a really overdue update to this topic.

We've still been working on the game and have put a lot of effort into the different systems, making sure they work well with each other and overcoming a few technical hurdles along the way.

We are really struggling to get people to try out and provide feedback, so any and all is very much welcome.

Here are some screenshots from the latest version, a video, and an itch.io page which has a download link to the newest build.

YouTube Video

Itch.io Page
Soda Story - Brewing Tycoon on Itch.io

Thanks for checking out our project!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic