Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:08:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLast console generation?
Poll
Question: Will there be just one more console generation?
Yes
No
I don't know

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Last console generation?  (Read 5459 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »

The last console will be like the last horse carriage, we still have horse after all.

I mean who will need a vehicle, that need refueling, at specific point, when I can left my horse graze everywhere? and you need road to drive on them, my horse can go everywhere, and my horse don't go blindly into cliff like those damn stupid cars, he know when to stop and how to not run into obstacle, he even know how to go back home on his own. No way cars will take over, that's stupid.

Foxwarrior
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »

Right, exactly, the last console generation was Sega Saturn/Nintendo 64/Playstation, since after that Windows was good enough that nobody needs consoles any more.
waipowrectdeapr1976
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »

I think we'll say many more generations. It's still big business, haven't really seen a slow down in console gaming. Unlike PC gaming for example.
I guess the biggest threat to console gaming is mobile gaming. Probably one day, you mobile phone will also be your gaming console.
Aex175
Level 0

Game ever

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »

Many have to improve Internet connections for that to come especially in upload speed and latency...
Sideer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »

I think we'll say many more generations. It's still big business, haven't really seen a slow down in console gaming. Unlike PC gaming for example.
I guess the biggest threat to console gaming is mobile gaming. Probably one day, you mobile phone will also be your gaming console.

Yep that is what i was thinking. When the phones hit the size/capacity of a console (they do compared to older generations) it is apparently becoming a problem, and we might see a merge between them.

Right now the only issue is that on mobile devices the games are very blend and empty, repetetive, just to occupy your mind. I don't feel like there are any AAA games on a phone. Switch is something closer to a mix between a phone and a console.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 11:10:17 AM »

What we will see is gaming oriented mobile, aka console 2.0

muppetrat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:49 PM »

"There will be one more console generation and then after that, we will be streaming, all of us."
- Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.

Ubisoft CEO expressed this concept recently.
Do you think we'll play only through streaming any time soon?

Not really sure thou, the future is the future, we can't really predict it
Sideer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »

Look we have the release of POLYMEGA console, which will allow to play multiple classics like nintendo, sega, ps1 and well, it will cost around 250-350usd i am not sure about the price, have seen multiple sources.

It will be a classic box styled console with cartridge and CD. So i think we will have those boxes for some time in the future too, like little modules attached all in one
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »

250-300 usd is how much cartridge or cd is worth though.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »

Resident evil 7 and assassin's creed origin are playable on the switch in japan hosted by the cloud

ARF Initiative
Level 0

ARF Initiative

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »

Internet connections will be definitely the problem. Not all everybody can connect as well as the games demand. I believe there will be different types of users: those who play with consoles, those who play with PC, those who play streaming.

Let's join the ARF Initiative Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 05:21:41 AM »

Also people assume only hd hi quality fullscreen action game, I'm sure the first success will be low key like runescape was for mmo

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2018, 07:00:38 AM »

Some new stuff to feed speculation: Intellivision Amico

Trailer:

Interview with the man behind the vision (Tommy Tallarico):

In a nutshell:
They are going for a Wii 2.0, a system so simple that every parent is able to pick it up quickly and have fun with it, predominantly with family- and couch-multiplayer oriented content. They restrict themselves to this subset of games (but it can still be large enough to offer diverse content and make many people happy). They follow a quality-over-quantity approach. The games will be curated, only those games which they see fit for the system will make it on there, and they have to be exclusive. I wonder whether they have the financial resources to build up all that (not a kickstarter project).

"Balanced gameplay & design for equal opportunity gaming" is not just a slogan, but has to be an implemented concept: think about pong, if you are superior your paddle becomes shorter and the one of your opponent longer to balance out the skill gap. Now, my competitive spirit is actually not a fan of such ideas. But objectively speaking, I see how it can enhance casual fun and add value. And this is actually something I did back then: I was superior in fighting games in my circle, to a degree that we had to set up severe handicap rules so that my opponents stood a chance and wanted to fight me, like pre-emptying the majority of the health-bar, restricting certain special moves/combos etc. And we still had fun playing this way.

If it would be a lunatic kickstarter dream set up by a bunch of teenage linux nerds, it would not register on my radar. But those are some industry veterans with a serious vision. It doesn't make them invulnerable to failure, but it makes me interested to see how it plays out for them.

What do you think? Feel free to speculate.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »

HOLY SHOT Perry Kaplan is in it? there is a hell of pedigree peoples in that presentation ...

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »

Phantom 2.0, not Wii 2.0.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic