Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:25:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAs a game dev, what are you most afraid of?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: As a game dev, what are you most afraid of?  (Read 2734 times)
thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »

i am afraid of the one day i look at myself and ask "is this what i want to do" while i'm working on a game on my lunch break at a successful yet monotonous office job

stop giving me nightmares

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:24 AM »

Not being able to see my friends/fam, being consume by work & a never-ending chase of glory

Also running out of canned foods & cereal

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
michele80
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 07:05:19 AM »

what I fear more is already happening with my first game release...I cannot show it to gamers especially to the niche of puzzle and brain teaser players.
 What is really frustrating is not knowing if its just a matter of marketing or something wrong with game quality, I'm not having feedback of any type, I'd really prefer to be told that I have to bin all my work because is not good at all at least I'd have some answer
vikepic
Level 0

Rendering dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »

i am afraid of the one day i look at myself and ask "is this what i want to do" while i'm working on a game on my lunch break at a successful yet monotonous office job

yikes

Reyn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 07:21:57 PM »

I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

My biggest fear is releasing something nobody gives a shit about.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 09:43:30 PM »

I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now.

My biggest fear is releasing something nobody gives a shit about.
try releasin CuM
jas7229
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »

So many people seem afraid of obscurity and I've always thought I'd prefer negative feedback to none too, but fair warning it still stings a lot more than expected when it actually happens Tongue 

Like from my most recent game, think I drew way too much attention to it from the wrong part of the internet...

(no worries though, the reviews are ok now so we can laugh about it aha)

Hmm, anyway I think my greatest fear is just that I'm wasting my time. Like, I've spent so much time learning how to code this way or that, in this engine or with this technique, and I worry that someday I still might not be able to make my DreamGameTM. Then I might as well have been pursuing something else the whole time, right? :c
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:47 AM »

That I will suddently loose motivation to finish creating the game. It has happened so many times in the past (have a desk full of uncompleted games) that it always lurks in the back of my head. BUT I've made a promise to myself, that THIS game will be finished and launched on Steam, no matter how much time I'll need!

Gustie
Level 0

Wolf

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 05:08:40 AM »

I am working on javascript incremental games/upgrade type games, i am participating in the specific subreddits of this genre.

The most conflicting part of the game development for me is that however i am confident in the design, i am always aware of the fact that some people might not like it or think that ideas presented are different. And i take it as a valuable lesson for the future releases. I am mostly afraid of the confusion that my idea would bring about and something that would trash my name as a dev
dany69burton
Level 0

Do you want a disease?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »

I am scared of when you get halfway through and it turns into a big slog and when it's finally finished it sucks and you wasted months on it.

░░
███░░
░░░░░
░░███
░░░░░
Trenos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »

I'm afraid of myself and overthinking development of the game..  Usually it starts with a simple prototype, alright then i think to myself, let's make it so hard so i won't be able to finish it in 50 years lol..

Happens all the time, i'm in a constant fight of not thinking too far ahead and creating too huge project ideas. I guess that happens to everyone  Panda
litHermit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »

As a solo dev I'm afraid of getting stuck on a project forever because I keep finding distractions when I have to make art (which, when I finally get down to doing, I end up iterating a lot, because it's never that good)

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 03:06:22 AM »

Fear of never finishing has gripped me a few times. But it's usually because I'm slacking, once I double down on the effort I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel again.

Gonna finish this !@#$ing game before I turn 35 damned it.

Klogen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 03:22:49 PM »

Fear of my games ending up in the graveyard. Even more scary is if that would ruin my reputation as a developer. Or something that i put my heart and soul would seem weird to public and it would always stick "oh this dev is a weirdo" and all things i do would have that shadow lurking behind uhh
Bernie
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »

Guys

What if I'm old and boring and my games suck? What if my gamedev hobby is a waste of time and I should have focused on getting somewhere in my dreary dead-end factory worker job? What if staying indoors and programming all the time is merely a means to ignore the emptiness in my soul that keeps growing and eating away at me until nothing is left?

These are the things I think about during the darkest hour of my often lonely nightshifts.

http://www.origamihero.com - freeware oldschool games |  gamedev twitter
goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2018, 09:44:04 PM »

I don't know if it's #1 but I'm afraid some kid will spend his last dollar on my game and absolutely hate it and it'll ruin his week because he spent his last dollar. But the rational part of me thinks that kid has to grow up and learn sometime (ie a dollar isn't much anyway, you can appreciate a game even if you don't like it at first, etc...)
gloven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:43 AM »

Guys

What if I'm old and boring and my games suck? What if my gamedev hobby is a waste of time and I should have focused on getting somewhere in my dreary dead-end factory worker job? What if staying indoors and programming all the time is merely a means to ignore the emptiness in my soul that keeps growing and eating away at me until nothing is left?

These are the things I think about during the darkest hour of my often lonely nightshifts.

"What if" is an evil monster. If i catch myself thinking about these things, what if i had done something else - that is impossible to know, man.

Life works that way, there are not what ifs, there are only choices that you have made, and at the time you could not know better. That makes the alternative choices impossible to you at the time of a choice. It's life, the journey, in which you choose the best answer you know at the time. And it brings you little by little to a place where eventually you will find out why you have done these things. It's a philosophical beauty <3  You couldn't have become the other person than you are now. Smiley
Unknown33
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 09:09:48 PM »

That one day I will actually have fans and I will probably not like them very much/they will be toxic.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 01:04:12 AM »

thats actually abusive
gloven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:18 AM »

That one day I will actually have fans and I will probably not like them very much/they will be toxic.

Sounds like the typical twitch chat experience looking from a streamer's perspective  Crazy
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic