Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:26:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDevlog for: Platformer Beta (Newest post: June 10th)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Devlog for: Platformer Beta (Newest post: June 10th)  (Read 2673 times)
PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

Newest Release: 0.4
My current Version ~0.45

I've decided to make updates every couple days or so about what I'm actually doing with the game. The "New additions" in my feedback topic is achieving this moderately well with what I've done, but I though I'd keep a log of how I did it. It also would be giving sneak previews of what's to come. And possibly help gain interest, although I doubt it.
So, first post:
Major things is that I have some very basic tilesets in the game. I have 3 thus far. Aside from this, I've fixed up one of my scripts to be slightly more effective, and will probably begin work on the next area of the game tonight.

A major thing I did was remove most of the arbitrary walls that can't be passed until certain bosses are defeated, allowing you to actually go nearly anywhere early, were it not for the dangers involved. You still need to defeat boss 1 to get to the underside and the hub, however, as it's role is a sort of guard, blocking off the entire game until it's defeat. you can access the dig site, however. Additionally, the trigger for the second boss has been majorly improved aesthetically.

That's it for now.

Future Plans:
Implement images into this thing.
Add more to DeepSide
Create either Farmount or Fire Pit boss.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:53:20 PM by PureQuestion » Logged

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »

My current Version ~0.48

Post 2: Firey Boss o' Doom

So I made the boss for fire pit over the past couple days. I quite like how it came out, although as per usual, my pixel art leaves much to  be desired. The actual coding behind the boss is fairly extensive, spanning several attacks, including spawn an enemy, creating pillars of flame, creating pillars of flame that travel in a chain, and sending out a pulse that does high damage and deflects your shots.

Aside from this, I added a new power-up that you gain for his defeat, which allows for more powerful projectiles, which can be used to destroy the dirt blocks found in the Dig Site.
I mentioned last time the majorly improved trigger for boss 2; I thought I'd elaborate. Instead of the floor simply disappearing, one of the bosses fists shoots up, punching a hole through the ground, which leads to the rest of the floor falling down based on how far away it is. I really liked the way it came out, although graphical improvements, if I ever have any, will undoubtedly make it much more appealing.

There it is for now, although getting a good picture is pretty difficult. No images of the new boss though, you'll have to wait for that one.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

My current Version ~0.48

Post 3: Fixes and After Images

Today was a pretty small day as far as my game goes.I added to one of my tilesets a bit, and made a bunch of player optimizations. the only ones that will come out on your side are all hyperdashing related. Firstly: I've added after-images:
Secondly, I've changed the length and speed quite a bit. It takes much longer, but moves much more slowly, ultimately making you move farther. However, you can release the button to end the dash, giving the play a much higher level of control. I may add a separate button, allowing you to go to the "Choose a new direction" mode instead of just stopping. Maybe I could do it differently,if anyone has any suggestions.

My next course of action is probably going to be the boss of Far Mount.
I have a sprite made, but It'll probably, like all other things, be improved upon at a  later date.

It's going to hopefully have some new and interesting attacks, and I might have it have a weakness like the first boss did. Unlike the other 3, which are all "Shoot boss until it is dead". I might give it earthquake attacks.

That's all for today. And don't be afraid to respond.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

My current Version ~0.52

The Shining-est Boss on Earth

I just finished the boss of Far Mount today, and I have to say, I really like it so far.
It changes colors as you damage it, and it also cracks, as demonstrated here:
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8379/boss4fight.gif
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8616/boss4fight2.gif
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5471/boss4fight3.gif
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8411/boss4fight4.gif
So, It has 3 attacks, which I tried to catch in the above images, but wasn't very successful, and can't really be explained that way anyway. The first, it sprays gems all over the place, they do okay damage, but dodging is very difficult. The second, it sprays more damaging gems in a direction away from you, and they then fire at you after a delay, all reaching your previous location at the same time. the final one, and the one I find the least interesting, is simply a machine gun fire attack. I added it because I found the boss just a bit too easy to defeat. It added a nice bit of balance.

On the coding side of things, I found myself trying a lot of experimentation. The spray thing was basic in principal, but an interesting idea. The "Fires away from the player, then towards them" shots are soemthing I've wanted to try for a long time, but haven't found a place to.

I also made the projectiles that the boss shoots have one of 4/5 possible shapes, making it look less bland. I also resprited the temporary platforms the player can create using the mouse, making them semi-ethereal.

To-Do:
I guess this just leaves Deep Side. After that, I have to either wrap things up or making some new entrances.
I also need more tilesets, possibly better enemy and boss spriting. If possible, I could look into music/sound, the latter of which is crucial to immersion.

PureQuestion
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:12 PM »

My current Version ~0.6

Nearing a new release. Finally.

So I hacked together a very faulty but functioning fail safe for players reaching rooms that don't exist. It basically amounts to warping you to the starting room if the room doesn't exist. The starting room has been altered so that it simply takes you to the main menu if and only if there are no existing player objects, which if you reach it via the fail safe method, there will be.

Aside from this, I have made countless minor changes, including: Minor alterations to the save feature. A new upgrade. Most notably, you can now hyperdash diagonally. I made it so that the higher leveled(and faster moving) projectiles home in on the same level as the basic one, which was more accurate due to it's lower speed. So, tonight I will be adding a boss to Deep Down(which I seem to have taken to calling Deep Side...), although there are no real plans just yet as to how I will go about it.

Another minor addition is an upgraded form of the floating block enemy found in Dark Tower, which has a ridiculous and over the top color scheme, but is more dangerous. It fires 3 sword shotgun pattern, and upon death fires swords in all directions, which is dangerous indeed.

Anyway, I think I'll release a new version by this weekend, hopefully somewhere around V0.7. Once I reach 0.9, I'll probably start looking for Audio help.

Once I finish, I guess I'll have to begin a new project. Maybe I'll actually make a plot for this game, while I'm at it, although it's unlikely.

No images this time, sorry. Not much I could post, except maybe rooms and the new enemy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic