Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:34:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHow to: Portfolio
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to: Portfolio  (Read 746 times)
v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2018, 05:58:34 AM »

Hi there!
Here I am, asking for your point of view on the matter of portfolios and resumes.
Do you have one? How do you manage it?

I personally have a web portfolio but as for now it only contains the games I develop during my Job.

Hope to hear back from some of you!
BudaDude
Level 0

If its not broke, you did something wrong.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 09:42:07 AM »

It doesn't hurt at all to have one. It makes it easy for companies to see what you have done.

I use github pages and and jekyll to manage mine. But I plan to move to Gitlab soon. I just have to edit a yaml file for my games and it updates the pages for me.

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »

It doesn't hurt at all to have one. It makes it easy for companies to see what you have done.

I use github pages and and jekyll to manage mine. But I plan to move to Gitlab soon. I just have to edit a yaml file for my games and it updates the pages for me.

I see, do you also design your games in order to fit well in the portfolio?
AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:45 AM »

Having recruited before, I always like to see both. Your resume lets me know where you've worked and what you've done while your portfolio ideally allows me to get a better gauge on your abilities.

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:36 AM »

Having recruited before, I always like to see both. Your resume lets me know where you've worked and what you've done while your portfolio ideally allows me to get a better gauge on your abilities.

Tank you for your feedback.
May I ask you what do you prefer to see in a game designer's portfolio?
Do you prefer small prototypes which are maybe the same kind of the game you are reruiting for, or it's better to make more complete games even if unrelated?
AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 03:36:49 AM »

It depends, what platform are you mainly developing for? We focus on iOS and Android and a good thing to showcase is a finished title. That way I know you're familiar of all the steps it takes to both build and launch something.

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 04:01:37 AM »

It depends, what platform are you mainly developing for? We focus on iOS and Android and a good thing to showcase is a finished title. That way I know you're familiar of all the steps it takes to both build and launch something.

Yes I suppose it's better this way.
Anyway, I work mainly on PS4, XBOX ONE, Steam and Switch.

DO you think the portfolio should contain also Design documents or anything that is not a complete game is not useful?
AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:54 AM »

I'm not sure about design documents, maybe someone else could chime in on that. But in general I'd like to see games that are closer to completion be the 'meat' of your portfolio, and you can include a sub-section of other projects or works in progress that you think might be interesting for a recruiter to see. Feel free to post or PM me your web portfolio / resume if you want me to have a look.

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:32 AM »

I'm not sure about design documents, maybe someone else could chime in on that. But in general I'd like to see games that are closer to completion be the 'meat' of your portfolio, and you can include a sub-section of other projects or works in progress that you think might be interesting for a recruiter to see. Feel free to post or PM me your web portfolio / resume if you want me to have a look.

http://www.vittoriomorrone.com/
Here it is. Actually it is a work in progress.
Happy to receive every feedback.
AncientGamesDS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »

I can't speak towards the actual website design as I don't really have an eye for that stuff, maybe someone else could chime in for that. The games section looks good, although I'd consider going into a bit more detail as to your role and maybe even the size of your team. I don't think it would be a bad idea to include incomplete stuff that you've been working on on the side, provided it looks good enough to showcase.

v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »

I can't speak towards the actual website design as I don't really have an eye for that stuff, maybe someone else could chime in for that. The games section looks good, although I'd consider going into a bit more detail as to your role and maybe even the size of your team. I don't think it would be a bad idea to include incomplete stuff that you've been working on on the side, provided it looks good enough to showcase.

Thank you very much for your advice Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic