Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 08:16:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForever Nighttime - a peaceful puzzle adventure (about moral philosophy)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Forever Nighttime - a peaceful puzzle adventure (about moral philosophy)  (Read 2739 times)
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2018, 06:42:04 AM »

“It’s forever nighttime in this place. So, don’t expect that moon to go away or for the sun to rise.
Sorry. Some people here want the daytime to come back. I don’t really want that. I think nighttime is beautiful...Just feel it all.”

Preface:

Forever Nighttime is something I need to create.
I've been caught in this loop of various projects and almost finishing them since I was 12, I'm now 21. I'm tired of not finishing.
This endeavor is meant to be an instrument of happiness

A day ago I was listening to Mort Garson's "Mother Earth's Plantasia"

and taking a little break doodling a 320x200 scene for fun. I fell in love with it and chased it. It was like fish came up from the ocean and winked at me as it mouthed the word "Vacuum" and in mistaken fury, I dove down after it. I kept going further and further down.

This game is meant to be a calming experience of discovery and understanding, of others and yourself. However, the central conceit of this project is an attempt to provide an environment of varying morals. The user is presented with an end goal that is ambiguous and separate from their preexisting morals, the means of which is obtained by interacting with various little buddies.

The Game Itself:

6/23/18

I present you with a very small proof of concept! Whoa! Hand Any Key Hand Clap Hand Joystick
You can download it from indieDB:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/forever-nighttime/downloads/a-slice-for-windows
Or here:
http://xm10x.x10.mx/msusa/fent.html

10/1/18

HAPPY OCTOBER EVERYONE!
I have a place to live now!

I'm in the process of moving things and such, but I have been working all this time when possible on the game. I have updated some assets and solidified systems.I am currently working on the propagation of information between individual characters. Every character in the game has their own set of knowledge in their theoretical heads. Information is disseminated by any character that moves around the world. You as the user can do this as well. You also have a set of knowledge. The first "Idea" in a characters list, including yours, affects the outcome of an interaction. Each of these characters also have emotions. These are actual values assigned to characters that can't be known precisely, but they are there regardless. If you upset a character their well being decreases. It is up to you whether or not you actually care.

1/22/2019
First of all, check this out, wow.

I've been playing a lot of Crawl with my friends lately. It's quite inspiring. Despite being so far from the design space this game is in, it still is giving me the inspirational push I need to keep going. If there is one thing I can take from Crawl, it is that the look, feel, and player control being unified and intuitive goes a LONG way. Also dope music really gets it there too.

I just updated the banner animation a little. Right now I'm continuing to get a lot of scripting done. I'm running into a few problems. The engine has this issue where the mouse is sluggish when the game is full-screen. Besides that, things are going smooth. Wizard

2/7/2019

I'm officially migrating Forever Nighttime to GameMaker from Adventure Game Studios. I'm not making a classic adventure game, nor do I have the control over many aspects of the game I want  with AGS.

I've worked in AGS since I was a young kid. Some day I'll finish an AGS project, but it will assuredly be an adventure game.

GameMaker has allowed for a much more satisfying and efficient workflow without running against engine limitations that become actual limitations, as opposed to interesting design constraints. I can make everything so much prettier and satisfying to play now without having to worry about Steam integration or hardware specific issues that have bizarre fixes.

User experience is so important to me and being able to improve it is something I need to be able to do.

I'm happy to say that this experience had been making me a better programmer and this journey will set me up for future success. I will be able to make games that were previously not possible under the limitations of the engine I felt trapped in.

I'm currently coding the inventory system, dialogue system, and save system. I'm trying to get the stuff that actually comprises the most crucial elements of the game before I start getting burnt out.

I had my hand held quite tightly by how easy it was to code a save system in AGS. I'm finding it quite difficult right now in GameMaker. I'm using JSON to do it with map and list data structure functions. It's not that the method is difficult, because there are tons of great resources for it, it's figuring out what needs to be saved and what doesn't.

-dave Smiley

Kiss Thank you for your time Kiss
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:30:40 AM by Mystic Swamp » Logged

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »

Really love the colors. A game about moral philosophy - that's a big subject - I'll be anxious to see the approach you take.

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »

Really love the colors. A game about moral philosophy - that's a big subject - I'll be anxious to see the approach you take.
Well, I'll be trying my best not to disappoint then! ( Crawl's OST is an absolute masterpiece BTW. Everyone I've got to buy the game I swear always comments on how amazing the music is. Cool )

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:54:44 AM »

Well, I'll be trying my best not to disappoint then! ( Crawl's OST is an absolute masterpiece BTW. Everyone I've got to buy the game I swear always comments on how amazing the music is. Cool )

That's very kind, thanks.   Gentleman\

I was intrigued by the name of the album you posted - I had never heard it before so I went and listened.  This is really great!  Are you going to try to approach the soundtrack with this style in mind?  Very cool stuff - lots of nostalgic timbres for me.

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »

Liking the artwork and love the album of Mort Garson "Mother Earth's Plantasia". You might also like Camel, mainly The Snow Goose.

Cheers,
Sid

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:09:16 AM »

That's very kind, thanks.   Gentleman\

I was intrigued by the name of the album you posted - I had never heard it before so I went and listened.  This is really great!  Are you going to try to approach the soundtrack with this style in mind?  Very cool stuff - lots of nostalgic timbres for me.

It really does feel nostalgic and beautiful to me, it reminds me of like if someone mixed together the best of Katamari, Zelda, and Earthbound, but in the 70s. It just fits so well. I know this sounds crazy, but since I'll be releasing this as essentially shareware and most likely off any main distribution platforms I figured I'd just actually factually put an .ogg of the album over the game and give a very hearty credit to Mister Garson, rest in peace. Kinda crazy, I know. I do however mess around with music too and what not, but I'm not sure I'd personally be able to achieve exactly what I'm envisioning. Trying won't hurt though, well unless it does Shocked

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:02 AM »

Liking the artwork and love the album of Mort Garson "Mother Earth's Plantasia". You might also like Camel, mainly The Snow Goose.

Cheers,
Sid

Thank you! Camel is great, some classic prog, love "Rhayader" off that album! Kiss

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:24:36 AM »

YES! Excellent album. I love those vintage, analog synthesizers. I have a couple of them here in the studio, like the Korg MS10, Yamaha SY-2 and a few others. Haven't done much 70s style scores but have experimented just as a jam session for it. A lot of fun! Smiley

Good luck with your game!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

Bandcamp:
Twitter:
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »

YES! Excellent album. I love those vintage, analog synthesizers. I have a couple of them here in the studio, like the Korg MS10, Yamaha SY-2 and a few others. Haven't done much 70s style scores but have experimented just as a jam session for it. A lot of fun! Smiley

Good luck with your game!

That's some sweet equipment! Thanks again! Smiley

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »

You might want to check if you are able to share this album in this way, through the game though. To avoid any copyright issues etc.

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Bandcamp:
Twitter:
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »

You might want to check if you are able to share this album in this way, through the game though. To avoid any copyright issues etc.

I looked around quite a bit and can not find anything about the copywrite holder "Homewood Productions, Inc." It looks like none of the affiliated companies and whatnot are still around. There was a reissue by "The Great Thunder" Which makes me think the Phonographic Copyright had expired. They also previously had released various unofficial versions. Other pressings like from 5th dimension are just straight up bootlegs. I searched a good bit to no avail. Worst case scenario I get to find out who actually owns the copywrite if I get a DMCA takedown notice! Also not to mention any physical copy of the album is like triple digits and there aren't any official digital releases, which is a total shame.

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »

Indeed! I've noticed the same. Mort's music is seriously amazing and inspiring and should definitely get more ears and recognition. Plantasia is an amazing album and has this sound that again became popular 15/20 years later with, among others, Nintendo games.

This album inspired me to make my own album by only using a select few vintage synths I have from the 70s. A nice challenge!

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Bandcamp:
Twitter:
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 08:45:52 AM »

Indeed! I've noticed the same. Mort's music is seriously amazing and inspiring and should definitely get more ears and recognition. Plantasia is an amazing album and has this sound that again became popular 15/20 years later with, among others, Nintendo games.

This album inspired me to make my own album by only using a select few vintage synths I have from the 70s. A nice challenge!

That sounds sweet!

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »

UPDATE:

I've been working on a more systemic approach to the design of puzzles/puzzle chains.

Some aspects of the game are abstract, so I feel that a more systems-driven approach will allow users and my design to come to an unspoken agreement as well as establish what the bounds of the simulation are in an elegant way.

Another thing I've been working on is the fact that I do not want infuriating puzzles that use objects that have zero grounding in reality. Puzzles using objects that are too abstract do not come through. I've seen this problem with "The Dig", an otherwise beautiful game with some great puzzles, but sometime man--ugg.

Anyway, here's a pretty picture!

Biijii
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 11:40:10 AM »

I really like this concept. I'm curious to see how you'll tackle the moral philosophy stuff.

Also, I hadn't heard that Mort Garson album before, that was really cool.

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 05:06:23 AM »

I really like this concept. I'm curious to see how you'll tackle the moral philosophy stuff.

Also, I hadn't heard that Mort Garson album before, that was really cool.

Awesome, glad to hear this. Smiley

--

I'll be posting an update later today (with a special surprise  Gomez)

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2018, 11:33:25 AM »

The Good News Update!
The Good News/Bad News Update!

The Good News:

I present you with a very small proof of concept! Whoa! Hand Any Key Hand Clap Hand Joystick
You can download it from indieDB:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/forever-nighttime/downloads/a-slice-for-windows
Or here:
http://xm10x.x10.mx/msusa/fent.html

The Bad News:

I was informed that I'm going to lose where I live due to circumstances out of my control.

Life Goal of Artistic Creation as a Means of Sustaining Me and My Loved Ones Status: In Jeopardy

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.
Where I live, housing is really impossible to find this time a year and not affordable any time of the year.
If anyone reading this wants to help me be able to keep doing what I do, then check out my website.
I have links to my SoundCloud, Instagram, Twitter, Writing I've done, etc

mysticswamp.com

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:28:19 AM by Mystic Swamp » Logged

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:04 PM »

. . .

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

Yep, still loving this. Sorry to hear about the living situation - hope you were able to sort things out.  Sad

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 06:52:56 AM »

This is inspiring and great.
 Kiss  Hand Clap  Hand Clap  Hand Clap

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic