Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:28:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsForever Nighttime - a peaceful puzzle adventure (about moral philosophy)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Forever Nighttime - a peaceful puzzle adventure (about moral philosophy)  (Read 2743 times)
PhillipSchlosser
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2018, 12:33:11 AM »

Just checked out the demo, this is beautiful.
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 07:18:02 AM »

An Only Good News Update! 10/1/18

HAPPY OCTOBER EVERYONE!

I have a place to live now!
I'm in the process of moving things and such, but I have been working all this time when possible on the game.
I have updated some assets and solidified some core systems.

I am currently working on the propagation of information between individual characters.
Every character in the game has their own set of knowledge in their theoretical heads.
Information is disseminated by any character that moves around the world.
You as the user can do this as well. You also have a set of knowledge.
The first "Idea" in a characters list, including yours, affects the outcome of an interaction.

Each of these characters also have emotions. These are actual values assigned to characters that can't be known precisely, but they are there regardless. If you upset a character their well being decreases inside the world. It is up to you whether or not you actually care.

Here are some cryptic screenshots:

(PS. I have a patreon now hoping to get some supplemental income for the sake of stability and sanity. Check it out if you like weird world building fiction and surreal photography. www.patreon.com/davewild)

Kiss Thank you for your time Kiss

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »

Just checked out the demo, this is beautiful.

Thank you so much. Smiley

q1
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:31 PM »

i love the idea of a world where some people want to keep the sun away but some people want it back. good luck with your game!
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 03:23:09 AM »

Thank you! Grin

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »

Oooh, this looks interesting. Subbed. Also, thanks for the album link! Smiley
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »

Love the art style and the engagement with philosophical themes, posting to follow.
mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »

Thanks for the support! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:19:17 AM by Mystic Swamp » Logged

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 07:19:27 AM »

First of all, check this out, wow.

I've been playing a lot of Crawl with my friends lately. It's quite inspiring. Despite being so far from the design space this game is in, it still is giving me the inspirational push I need to keep going. If there is one thing I can take from Crawl, it is that the look, feel, and player control being unified and intuitive goes a LONG way. Also dope music really gets it there too.

I just updated the banner animation a little. Right now I'm continuing to get a lot of scripting done. I'm running into a few problems. The engine has this issue where the mouse is sluggish when the game is full-screen. Besides that, things are going smooth. Wizard

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 07:27:27 AM »

Thanks for that audio share!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

BTW, the Plantasia video was taken off-line, here's a newer upload:

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 06:39:52 PM »

Thank you!!  Smiley

Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »

I'm diggin' the minimalist graphics and colors.  What you describe with other characters' internal values is really interesting stuff as well - interested to see how it will be implemented with the rest of the game.  Best of luck on finishing this!  Smiley

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »

I'm diggin' the minimalist graphics and colors.  What you describe with other characters' internal values is really interesting stuff as well - interested to see how it will be implemented with the rest of the game.  Best of luck on finishing this!  Smiley

Hey, thanks! Hope I don't dissapoint haha! :D

mystic_swamp
Level 1

v i d e o g a m e s

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 08:29:25 AM »

I'm officially migrating Forever Nighttime to GameMaker from Adventure Game Studios. I'm not making a classic adventure game, nor do I have the control over many aspects of the game I want  with AGS.

I've worked in AGS since I was a young kid. Some day I'll finish an AGS project, but it will assuredly be an adventure game.

GameMaker has allowed for a much more satisfying and efficient workflow without running against engine limitations that become actual limitations, as opposed to interesting design constraints. I can make everything so much prettier and satisfying to play now without having to worry about Steam integration or hardware specific issues that have bizarre fixes.

User experience is so important to me and being able to improve it is something I need to be able to do.

I'm happy to say that this experience had been making me a better programmer and this journey will set me up for future success. I will be able to make games that were previously not possible under the limitations of the engine I felt trapped in.

I'm currently coding the inventory system, dialogue system, and save system. I'm trying to get the stuff that actually comprises the most crucial elements of the game before I start getting burnt out.

I had my hand held quite tightly by how easy it was to code a save system in AGS. I'm finding it quite difficult right now in GameMaker. I'm using JSON to do it with map and list data structure functions. It's not that the method is difficult, because there are tons of great resources for it, it's figuring out what needs to be saved and what doesn't.

-dave Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic