Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1340550 Posts in 61234 Topics- by 52736 Members - Latest Member: jellyfishlion

June 17, 2018, 08:03:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemote Weapon GunFencer [horizontal shmup]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Remote Weapon GunFencer [horizontal shmup]  (Read 115 times)
M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »

Hello everybody!
I previously opened a thread about the game in the Playtesting section but didn't open a DevLog. Time to fix that.

[Latest demo (13 April) : https://mknight.itch.io/remote-weapon-gunfencer ]

Remote Weapon GunFencer (or simply GunFencer) is a horizontal shoot'em up that takes most of its inspirations from caravan-styled shmups I play : Radirgy, Dangun Feveron and Thunder Dragon 2. I like those games and I want to play more shoot'em ups in that vein where the focus of the scoring system is to destroy the enemy waves as fast as possible, so I am making my own.

The weapon system is very similar to Radirgy. You have three weapons with you : a shot, a sword, and a bomb. The shot has regular power and long range, while the sword has a much narrower range but is a lot more powerful. The bomb gives you temporary invincibility, has a circular range and does some passive damage to enemies it touches. It is also tied to a jauge that recharges thanks to the cake slices you get from defeated enemies. There aren't any power-ups or alternate/unlockable weapons, nor there are penalties for using the bomb, as I wanted to create a game where you have a specific toolset and you fully use it to get the most out of it.

In order to get the high scores, the objective is to quickly defeat every wave : there is a time bonus granted for each wave that decreases the longer you take to kill the enemies.  Bosses also feature a similar time bonus.

On top of the speedkill-oriented mechanics, I wanted to have a game with some cinematic appeal, so there will be some action and events in the background, but nothing that distracts from the gameplay. Having a lot of shmup experience, I am perfectly aware of how intrusive story sections can kill the pacing of such an intense genre of games, so the only few moments without action are short and occur before or after a boss fight.

Developement started in December 2016, as I picked up Unity and learned my way through the tutorials and stuff. As I am not always working full-time on this project and because I had to learn some new skillsets such as 3D modelling, I had to do some heavy upfront work before I could design levels and waves in an efficient manner, but I am at a point where I am rather happy with the enemy wave creation system.

The April 2018 demo contains two full stages (out of the 5 that I plan to do) and I am currently working on Stage 3.

Thank you for reading!

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:19:52 AM »

Looks awesome so far! I really like the camera placement in particular. The world seems to be viewed at a slightly tilted angle, giving the objects in the world more dimension. The camera also doesn't just move from left to right like a lot of horizontal games.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic