Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:08:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemote Weapon GunFencer [horizontal shmup]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Remote Weapon GunFencer [horizontal shmup]  (Read 3024 times)
M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »

Hello everybody!
I previously opened a thread about the game in the Playtesting section but didn't open a DevLog. Time to fix that.

[Latest demo (24 October 2019) : https://mknight.itch.io/remote-weapon-gunfencer ]

Remote Weapon GunFencer (or simply GunFencer) is a horizontal shoot'em up that takes most of its inspirations from caravan-styled shmups I play : Radirgy, Dangun Feveron and Thunder Dragon 2. I like those games and I want to play more shoot'em ups in that vein where the focus of the scoring system is to destroy the enemy waves as fast as possible, so I am making my own.

The weapon system is very similar to Radirgy. You have three weapons with you : a shot, a sword, and a bomb. The shot has regular power and long range, while the sword has a much narrower range but is a lot more powerful. The bomb gives you temporary invincibility, has a circular range and does some passive damage to enemies it touches. It is also tied to a jauge that recharges thanks to the cake slices you get from defeated enemies. There aren't any power-ups or alternate/unlockable weapons, nor there are penalties for using the bomb, as I wanted to create a game where you have a specific toolset and you fully use it to get the most out of it.

In order to get the high scores, the objective is to quickly defeat every wave : there is a time bonus granted for each wave that decreases the longer you take to kill the enemies.  Bosses also feature a similar time bonus.

On top of the speedkill-oriented mechanics, I wanted to have a game with some cinematic appeal, so there will be some action and events in the background, but nothing that distracts from the gameplay. Having a lot of shmup experience, I am perfectly aware of how intrusive story sections can kill the pacing of such an intense genre of games, so the only few moments without action are short and occur before or after a boss fight.

Developement started in December 2016, as I picked up Unity and learned my way through the tutorials and stuff. As I am not always working full-time on this project and because I had to learn some new skillsets such as 3D modelling, I had to do some heavy upfront work before I could design levels and waves in an efficient manner, but I am at a point where I am rather happy with the enemy wave creation system.

The April 2018 demo contains two full stages (out of the 5 that I plan to do) and I am currently working on Stage 3.

Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:38:47 AM by M.Knight » Logged

Jesse Ko
Level 1

L7 Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:19:52 AM »

Looks awesome so far! I really like the camera placement in particular. The world seems to be viewed at a slightly tilted angle, giving the objects in the world more dimension. The camera also doesn't just move from left to right like a lot of horizontal games.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 10:07:12 AM »

Mirror with better quality: https://streamable.com/wptef

I added a new mechanic to the boss fights. They can spawn child enemies which deal back some heavy damage to the bosses when killed. The idea is to rebalance the optimal boss scoring strategies because the melee-oriented weapon system and the kill speed being the key element to the best scores made most fights be just you trying to point-blank the boss with the sword as much as possible. While the risk taking involved is nice, I want the player to move around a lot more and do more varied things than focusing on a single enemy, so this should alleviate this issue.

The mechanic is still pretty experimental and unbalanced as the damage inflicted recharges your bomb very quickly, but I'll keep on improving it.

And here's some eyecatches with the game characters and their mecha/aircrafts that are in the game so far :
https://i.imgur.com/mAjN1IX.png
https://i.imgur.com/H9T0ztM.png
https://i.imgur.com/R0bebcN.png

Looks awesome so far! I really like the camera placement in particular. The world seems to be viewed at a slightly tilted angle, giving the objects in the world more dimension. The camera also doesn't just move from left to right like a lot of horizontal games.

Thanks a lot! (and sorry for the late answer)
I indeed wanted to make good use of the fact that the game is 2.5D. While the player mecha and the enemies are always on a flat plane, the backgrounds are a lot more dynamic. I like the cinematic appeal of some 2.5D shmups like Einhander or G-Darius, but tiltting the player as well could cause some issues like in Eschatos' stage 3 so it's mostly the backgrounds that move. I am glad you like that aspect of the game.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:19 AM »

Mirror with better quality : https://streamable.com/8uo4z

Hi!

Today I am writing a lengthy analysis on my game's Stage 2. The reason for this is that I decided to completely rework its enemy waves and the design process behind this seemed interesting to document so there we go!

For reference, here are the old and new versions of the Stage.
New :

Old :

Around a month ago, I finished a first version of Stage 3 which seemed pretty fun to play. As I was play(test)ing the game and its three stages over and over again, I noticed something. I liked playing Stage 1 to try to get a higher score as it's a short  ~1m20 challenge. I enjoyed playing Stage 3 with its variety of enemies and locales. But Stage 2 for some reason was much less played. Subconsciously, I didn't want to play it as much.

Why is that? That's goddamn weird. Every stage of the game has to be fun. Every single one should make me want to play it. Something's not right.

So I wondered why it wasn't that fun and analyzed that problem by comparing Stage 2 with the other stages. Why are those much more fun than this one? The answers I found mostly boiled down to two things : pacing and variety.

Stage 1 is seperated into two 30 second-long halves, with mostly small and medium enemies in the first half, a mid-boss in the middle and then bigger enemies accompanied by the previously introduced small enemies. This creates a sense of progression because the first half feels like a fast-paced introduction to the game in general and when you are comfortable with it, you've got tougher enemies that spawn. While every single one the enemies before the midboss could be killed in one sword strike, now there's a pink tank that can endure around three slashes, which changes the feeling you get from the waves. Another enemy introduced is an orange pistol drone that fires long bullets forward, while all of the previous enemy types fired circular aimed bullets. Those reduce your mobility potential in a different way and shake things up. You can kill them easily but you have to move near the right side and take risks.

Stage 3 also adheres to that design philosophy with various "segments" that each have exclusive or new specific enemy types and are accompanied by small fry that you are already familiar with, or even some new small fry.

So what's the problem with Stage 2 ? Well, it lasts twice as long as Stage 1 but the changes in the enemy waves and enemy types are not that drastic. Which is weird because given the added length, it should actually feature even more changes. In the one minute-long first half of the stage, only two new enemy types are there : the blue planes and the pink sunfish enemy. The blue planes are interesting IMO because they spawn from behind and thus make you sometimes fall back near the middle instead of always being on the right side. The sunfish is not bad but it's a popcorn enemy. None of these two enemies are enough to carry an entire minute of content, so the waves recycle lots of already-seen enemy types. While those waves' configurations are different from Stage 1 and some challenges they create are new, the sense of discovering a new enemy type is not there at all.

The second half of the stage also has to do with only one new enemy type, the little blue drone that fires a 4-bullet cluster. But that's a just a popcorn enemy, and yet I treated it as a big enemy in the way it is introduced as a special thing instead of being there to accompany something bigger.

Stage 1, being the first stage, introduces around 8 enemy types, but Stage 2 only had...3, and none of them are big enemies. Thanks to the caravan scoring and the wave pacing, the stage still managed to be playable and relatively enjoyable of course, but deep within my heart (lol) I knew something felt off, and that's why.

What did I do then? Well, introduce more enemy types for starters! Stage 2 now has 10 enemy types in it, with a mix between popcorn and mid/big enemies. Thus, this allows me to make those short segments within the stage that feature specific enemies and then move on to the next big enemy type without stretching and padding the potential of the previous enemy type for too long. The first and second half of the stage also feel more distinct thanks to that. It's important to have memorable moments and parts in your stages and those different enemy types with different patterns help a lot. Now the entire stage has a real identity with its exclusive enemies. And it even has a recurring theme in most of its enemy visual designs, will you find it? It's rather easy to guess actually.

The second thing that I did was increase the amount of cake slices the pink popcorn enemies give. It recharges the bomb a bit faster and thus improves the pacing by giving you more quick-kill opportunities.

Ultimately, you'll be the ones to see if it's genuinely more fun when the next demo releases, but so far I like playing Stage 2 again. Hopefully you will, too.

And thanks for reading!

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:30:26 AM »

Here is a video showing off the new medal spawning system : almost every enemy now spawns a medal upon destruction.

The three types of medals are the same as before and each retains its static point value, and which medal type is spawned simply depends on the enemy that was killed.

The other major change is that those medals now behave like the Dangun Feveron discomen. They will move on the left side, then bounce on it and leave by the right side. Unlike Dangun Feveron though, there is no penalty for missing a medal.

Scoring is still focused on quickly killing the enemy waves as the wave bonus is higher than the medals' worth, but you have to juggle both to maximize the score. The idea is to make the game even more frantic and have even more stuff to do while playing. The bomb's medal-attracting property also becomes more useful and it becomes even more interesting to use it regularly to quick-kill the waves but also grab as many medals as possible in the process.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:00:56 AM »

I am currently remaking the game's animated intro to try and make it a bit more lively and dynamic. Here's what I have so far on the mecha initialization sequence :

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 05:05:04 AM »

I am adding a few features to GunFencer such as this Background brightness option. The video also shows the two new alternate color schemes for the player mecha : Purple and Black.

Caravaggio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »

Always good to see more shmups.
Is the art style final?  It looks like a straight forward flat-shaded style but what about lighting?  Will it always be unlit?
M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 12:56:14 AM »

Hi!
I am not against making some small adjustments to the art style in the future, but so far I don't have specific plans to tweak the lighting or the shading. The visual style is something I have completed rather early on in developement and I haven't focused on it for quite some time (especially since I am not very good with shader code), so in any case, making changes to it is not my current priority.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 03:01:16 AM »

Thanks to feedback I received on the demo, I realized the sword slash effect was lacking in frames of animation and didn't look as polished as most of the other effects. A shame for a game about a mech with a sword that even emphasizes this in its name hahaha.

Here is a preview of the new sword slash effects I have. Not only the player sword swings look more fluid, but there are also additional impact effects on the enemies when they are slashed. Hopefully, it makes the sword feel even more fun and rewarding.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »

The enemy spawns during boss fights used to be static and predetermined, but they are now dynamic :  during attacks where the boss can spawn more enemies on the screen, the faster you destroy the spawns, the faster the boss spawns them again.

The dynamic is pretty similar to the enemy waves during the stages themselves and pushes you to destroy the waves of helper enemies quickly, especially since those inflict damage to the boss when destroyed.

This video showcases the new way bosses spawn helper enemies as well as the difference between a player who lets the helper enemies live for a while and one who will kill them ASAP.

And here is some artwork of the game's heroine I made for fun :
https://i.imgur.com/EAdLU1T.png
https://i.imgur.com/pMB8Mx1.png
https://i.imgur.com/yR4o0Mw.png
https://i.imgur.com/oU4Szx8.png
https://i.imgur.com/BqLokWM.png
https://i.imgur.com/JRy3ASd.png

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 11:23:27 AM »

I spent most of my recent dev time on invisible but important things (such as the code infrastructure and such) but I still managed to work a bit on more visual elements, such as bullet behavior. I added a bullet type that aims at the player but with a delay, and I'll try to incorporate these less straightforward bullet types in the later stages of the game :

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 06:06:57 AM »

In order to improve in-game visibility, I made some adjustments such as giving enemies thicker outlines, slowing down the camera, and making enemy/medal point bonuses toggleable. Here's a WIP of what it looks like so far on Stage 1 :

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 05:01:29 AM »

One of the recurring aspects of Caravan shmups are secret bonuses, and I relaized that was missing from my own game. If some of you guys played Macross 2 for example, you know how exciting it can be.
So now there are some Special Bonuses that can be triggered on specific enemies to score even more. Here's an example that's directly inspired by Star Soldier's simultaneous destruction bonus :

https://streamable.com/19u1v

I always try to ensure those bonuses don't get in the way of the main scoring systems, so none of the Special Bonuses should have you delay enemy destructions, but who knows. I also plan to have Special Bonuses for some bosses.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 11:33:16 AM »

I added a little sequence at the end of each stage as a recap for the enemies destroyed, items collected, etc.
Here the footage was in Stage Select mode so the stage ends afterwards, but the sequence can also be used in the Arcade mode to provide closure to the stage and prepare a transition to the next.

And for the record, the heroine's clothes can change depending on the settings.

M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2020, 03:25:25 AM »

Here are some of the features and updates I've been working on since the last demo release :

-An accessibility option that allows the player to toggle an automatic use of the shot and sword instead of having to hold the buttons :

-Special boss patterns that only occur when timing them out :

-A more granular stage select/practice mode where you can play stage portions or a boss fight. The video also shows the new audiovisual effect for smaller enemies you send back to the enemy that spawned them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQAMG-y8BkQ

-Two new title screens with new artwork. Which one appears every time is random :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5PXaHomHw

-Another accessibility option that changes the background's brightness/darkness. It's even possible to completely hide said background.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIaxjiRuc0o

Dreadoosa
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »

Hey, always great to see more shmups!  I really love the design of the player character!  Hope development is going well for GunFencer!
M.Knight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »

Thank you for your nice comments!  Smiley
Development is still going on and I am working on some the later stages while also adding features and trying to tweak the earlier levels to improve them.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic