Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:43:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)  (Read 73349 times)
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:51 AM »

Do you plan your route to reach the stack of boxes shielding you from the two rat snipers on overwatch? Or do you take the sole fusion core in your possession and hurl it at your enemies? You go with the latter and watch core’s powerful charge annihilate enemies that were blocking the way to a door. It’s a door that sadly won't budge. The door needed a fusion core inserted in its ever-hungry socket, the same item that you exploded to defeat your rodent foes.

STORY

There has been an unexpected breakthrough during the long and exhausting siege of The Empire's Capital. The Rat Swarm managed to breach the walls and flood the city with vermin. You control a group of surviving city-dwellers who are trying to escape and rescue as many others as they can. They will need to scavenge the destroyed city for resources, fight off rat vermin, and escape safely from the city.

You will need to use every single tool at your disposal: every scrap of metal, fusion core, weapon upgrade, and medical supply to tend to the inevitable injuries. Push through three districts with progressively more vicious enemies, rising emergency levels, and supplies that dry up like blood from a decaying knife wound. Constantly on the move, you’ll search bodies and lockers only to realize that each detour means the Rat Swarm reinforcements are getting closer. The only respite is locked behind bunker doors that can only be opened with the most precious of all finds: the all-powerful fusion core.

Choose Your Misfortune

How will you deploy your fusion cores? You could use it as a super-powerful explosive to get rid of a five-rat-strong pack, but then you’ll lose the means to open a bunker door that will allow you to tend to injuries and fix up weapons

Blow Off Some Steam

All the guns in Shardpunk are energy-based, and once you get a specific number of shots in, you’ll need to cool it off. However, you can test your luck and attempt a fifth shot on that four-shot cannon. But if it backfires or overcharges, you’ll have to hope that there's still one turn left before that rat sniper gets his bearings

Bunker Dilemmas

The hiss of the heavy bunker door locking down behind you is only a part of the deal. It's never a matter of “is anyone hurt?” but rather “whose injuries require the most attention?” You’ll rarely be able to heal everyone and save some med kits for later. Who can keep fighting despite their wounds?

Do You Split?

Should you keep all your troops moving at the same pace to find and reach the bunker door in one piece, or split the crew into groups and cover twice as much ground? You can scavenge more loot with the latter strategy, but you’ll risk your smaller squads getting cornered and wiped out by an enemy swarm

Draft A Motley Crew

Shardpunk gives you loads of flexibility in putting together your crew of survivors. For example, you could go with the dependant Mycroft with his exoskeleton, powerful ground slam, and heavy cannon that holds more limited charges, or you could take your chance with Silas, a twice-shooting jerk. Sure, he hates everyone, but has a chance to blast two rats in a round

Pick Your Tree to Climb

Get a few kills in, pick up that experience, and reach a temporary zone to upgrade your skills. Should you invest in a larger area for the katana-wielding close combat, or put your skills in the shotgun spread? It’s yet another choice that will impact your experience

====================

Legacy information (a.k.a. the original first post):

Hello! My name is Slawomir, and this is the very first entry of the developer blog on a game that I am working on.

Elevator pitch

XCOM game with giant plague rats, full of "I am so overpowered!" and "Shit, I'm f*cked!" moments.

Origin, and progress so far

So it all started on the 1-Room RPG Jam in 2017. It is then when I decided to gather all of the code assets that I have created for all the unfinished games and try to finally finish something. And that's how 1 Room Demon Slayer was born.

I abandoned the project after the jam, and approached it again during the 7DRL Challenge 2018. And as I was (well, still am) a big XCom games fan, I've decided to try and transfer some of its features to the 2D, tile-based world. So I've created the Twin Demon Slayers game, which I have then refined after the jam, to match the XCom vibe even more.

So I've added more XCom-ish cover display, with characters hiding behind cover:

Then, I've added action and targeting system (again, XCom-inspired):

As the work went on, I decided to set up the vibe for the game: a steampunk dystopian setting (plague, rats, etc.). So I started to work with a pixel artist (Kurt Prieto - go check out his work), and it resulted in some nice stuff!

Here are initial concepts of a rogue/ranger character:

Here's the game, using the new models (currently only one model is available, so both player characters and enemies are using the same model). You can see the cover display, potential targets and potential cover/flank systems in action:

What's next?

The game is a hobby project, but I am pretty consistent about the development. Expect monthly updates on this devblog.

The short-term plan is to create a vertical slice of the combat gameplay mechanic, to see how the XCom mechanics would work in 2D environment.

Long-term plan involves having two gameplay levels: combat and base management. It's a long way ahead of me, and I believe that it will be fun!

Take care!

(And yes, I know that there are no rats on the screenshots above. You should see one on the next update though!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 10:24:13 AM by bryku » Logged

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
v790
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:08:17 AM »

Looks great!
Mochnant
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »

Cool idea and I like the look!
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:10 AM »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate this!
I will try to post bi-monthly updates instead of monthly ones whenever possible - it should keep me more motivated, and will allow this thread to be more exposed.

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

pablomon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:18:35 AM »

Loving it so far!
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »

I finally got into UFO Defense this month and I'm extremely addicted so I'm down to hear the process someone might use to make an XCOM-inspired game. Bring it on!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:21:25 AM »

Nathy, thanks for that!

So, the progress update:

I spent some time implementing the text notifications that appear on every action (hit, miss, etc.). As usual, I took what was the best from original XCom UI. Below you can see some of these notifications in action (even though not all characters animations are available):

Melee attack:

Missed a 95% hit chance. So XCom!

And ranged attacks - note that the player character on the top is flanking the enemy - that's the reason of the high % to hit.

Next stop is implementing the armor mechanics. And hopefully some new animations will become available. Stay tuned!

Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »

Looks cool, say, do you have twitter, to follow and retwit gifs and news?

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Looks cool, say, do you have twitter, to follow and retwit gifs and news?
Thanks! Didn't think about this, really. Might set one up in a month or two, I guess Wink

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 06:28:11 AM »

So the title says that there should be "rats" in the game, right?

Well here you have it: the basic enemy type - rat warrior, armed with a hand crossbow and a dagger.

Tattomoosa
Level 0

Making The Decision Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:32:59 AM »

This looks really cool, dig the character art and animations. Excited to see how it looks when the environments start to come together. And more X-Com-likes is always good in my book.

Is there a strategy layer like X-Com planned?

A bit surprised you're using square tiles instead of an isometric view - have you ran into any readability issues when a character is on the tile above tall cover?

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »

Quote from: Tattomoosa

Yeah, I want to run research on rat corpses and live specimens to learn how they work Evil and then there could be animal rights activists protesting outside the lab and stuff. Tongue

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »

Quote from: Tattomoosa

Yeah, I want to run research on rat corpses and live specimens to learn how they work Evil and then there could be animal rights activists protesting outside the lab and stuff. Tongue

Indeed, the strategy layer will be present - and I will surely write more about it after I flesh out the combat mechanics.

A bit surprised you're using square tiles instead of an isometric view - have you ran into any readability issues when a character is on the tile above tall cover?
I am currently working on the visibility thing. Indeed, characters behind a tall cover are not being completely visible; I have a few ideas on how to resolve this - I will surely write about it more soon.

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »

Here's some progress for you: two rogue characters, taking cover and reloading their pistols:

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »

They're alive!

AI characters are now taking smart actions, based on their surroundings:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:47:53 PM by bryku » Logged

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »

It's time to sum up the progress made in June. I will split it into separate entries, and will be publishing them on a daily basis.

This entry will be about...

Targeting and flanking mechanics

The tactical combat part of the game is all about positioning your characters in a way that gives them the best % to hit and which will prevent them from being flanked.

Flanked enemies are displayed in yellow:

Enemies behind cover (which could be either light or full) are displayed in red:

I tried to copy the flanking mechanics from xcom, however it turned out it is not that straightforward. That is because depending on the type of cover, a character can target more places. Basically a character behind a large cover can "lean" from the corner, whilst a character simply ducking behind a crate cannot lean out at all.
Here's a graphical explanation someone did for original xcom: http://i.imgur.com/x50qZ.jpg

Right now the targeting/flanking seems to be working fairly OK, and I am not planning to alter it in any major way.

Of course the targeting system allows the player to choose which target they would like to shoot at:

That's it for today - take care!

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »

I'd love more technical details (maybe even code snippets?) on what you're doing for AI and such!

You might be able to learn some useful implementation details on how UFO Defense handles flanking mechanics by studying the source code of the Openxcom project (which is amazing and you should check out if you haven't).

I hope the strategy layer has a bubonic plague involved, spreading among the city! And cameos of characters from The Plague by Albert Camus would be some next-level Easter Eggs.

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 07:32:26 AM »

From a marketing perspective, what about your game will be different than XCOM? I think it’s great you’re drawing inspiration from that (and it looks amazing!). But what’s your driving force in regards to a “uniqueness” factor? Simply food for thought for your elevator pitch!

Keep up the awesome stuff!

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
LyricalReverie
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »

That rat sprite looks glorious.
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »

I'd love more technical details (maybe even code snippets?) on what you're doing for AI and such!

The next entry (which I will post later today) will be about the AI thing; it won't be too technical - however, I will add a more technical entry in the future.

You might be able to learn some useful implementation details on how UFO Defense handles flanking mechanics by studying the source code of the Openxcom project (which is amazing and you should check out if you haven't).

Hm, it might be useful to investigate; the original UFO Defence hovewer didn't have the flanking mechanism in place (only pathfinding and LOS algorithms, I believe), but still it seems like a good idea to check it out. Thanks!

I hope the strategy layer has a bubonic plague involved, spreading among the city! And cameos of characters from The Plague by Albert Camus would be some next-level Easter Eggs.
Yeah, I have most of the strategic layer idea planned out - but only in my head, for the time being Smiley When I'm done with the combat mechanics, I should be posting more stuff about the strategy layer.
Awesome idea about the Camus cameos!

From a marketing perspective, what about your game will be different than XCOM? I think it’s great you’re drawing inspiration from that (and it looks amazing!). But what’s your driving force in regards to a “uniqueness” factor? Simply food for thought for your elevator pitch!

Keep up the awesome stuff!

Thanks!
The problem that I had with original XCOM was that in the later game (even in higher difficulty levels), it was becoming pretty easy to beat (well, at least for me).

I would like to make sure that the players are always feeling that the game is one step ahead of him; that they always have to struggle to get the resources they need to survive (hint: I plan that gathering for resources will be done in the combat phase).

I basically am trying to combine the mechanics from XCOM with the feeling of being helpless I had when playing Darkest Dungeon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic