Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:39:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Author Topic: [RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)  (Read 68652 times)
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »

I LOVE The way this looks!

It seems dope!

Do you already have a composer?

I would love to write a tune for you!

TM

Thanks! Smiley

If you want to write some music, please do! I am already working with a composer though, so it'll be fan-made tunes Wink

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2020, 04:23:27 AM »

Wow, it seems it's already been two years since I started working on the game! I can't believe how fast the time goes.

I believe I have to start doing more planning when it comes to creating Shardpunk. Sooner or later I will need to have a rough answer on how much time I need to finish the game (or at least to reach a state in which Shardpunk would qualify as an Early Access title that people would be willing to pay for).

So I started tracking the time I am spending on development. Right now (after 17 days since I started it) I am spending 2 hours a day on average. This gives a whopping 14 hours a week, which is not that bad for a hobby project! Still, working full time would be better, right?

Note that this time includes not only programming but things like playtesting, gif creation or writing blog posts (it took me around an hour to write and publish this entry, including the time spent on creating all the screenshots and gifs).

Anyways, I am busy working on the next demo. Seems I don't have any external deadline as there are no competitions taking place (all canceled or moved) - which is a pity, as it would be a great opportunity to showcase my game and see the players react to the game.

On the other hand, I received lots of great feedback from the online survey and I am pretty sure I will gain even more after the 3rd alpha demo is released.

Anyway, here are some things I worked on during the last two weeks. You will see they were all around the place, as I am trying to put all the pieces together.

I changed the combat UI so that it displays the global inventory in the top-right, just like in the shelter view. The "global inventory" is basically a sum of inventories of all alive characters. Seeing it in combat allows you to quickly see how many resources you have at your disposal so you know what you're missing.

I've also made sure that the inventory of each character has a similar way of displaying items.

Speaking of the UI, the settings menus now have some real graphics:

Same goes with some yes/no dialogues:

In combat, player characters now have an alternate death animation which is used when they're standing next to cover; this prevents them from flying through walls or obstacles.

As for the shelter view, I added some minor non-essential elements that the player can click to see a short dialogue. This does not influence the gameplay in any way, but adds a nice flavor:

So what's next?

Well, the gameplay loop is now working. The game has a failure state, and there's a 2nd "mission" after you spend the night and exit the shelter. Well, the mission will be extremely short, just to give a hint of how the game will play out.

I still need to polish a few things. Also, I want to add more variety to the combat levels; I am waiting for some new graphics for this. Hopefully, I'll be able to showcase these in two weeks.

Take care!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 17, 2020, 01:46:00 PM »

I am pretty close to releasing the 3rd alpha demo of Shardpunk! The scope for the demo is sealed, I have all the assets I need and I am focusing on the final touches. The demo should be out in August.

That being said, I did make some changes in how the game works, so let's take a look at them.

It all started with these new graphics of shelves, which I've started using as high cover objects.

The shelves were looking great as an obstacle; however, I wanted to allow the players to search them for loot. The problem was that the loot points system was too simple to handle it. Until now, loot points were always 1 tile big, and the element (whether it was a corpse or a locker) that was lootable had to be placed on the same tile.

Such an approach was not enough for the shelves. A character was not able to stand on top of the shelve to loot it. What is more, it would be cool to extend the searchable area so that a character can perform the looting from more than one location.

Therefore, I decided to extend loot point definitions. After my changes, it is allowed to have a separate definition for "pickup points" for loot (which define a place that character can stand on to perform the search action), and a separate location where the loot point indicator is located.

Here's how it works for shelves:

I started to use the same approach for crates as well. So now the game has searchable cover objects!

Besides the shelves, there are other new obstacle types present in the levels that make them look nicer. This includes windows (shattered, to make sure characters can shoot through them) or pieces of furniture. And with some randomness in asset generation it can look slightly different each time:

So what's next?

I'm focusing on polish right now and making sure that the game is not too difficult. After all, I want the players to finish the first mission and see the shelter phase.

Take care!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2020, 01:21:48 AM »

Aah, here's some piece of good news: it turned out that two competitions that I wanted to register Shardpunk in are back! They were delayed due to the COVID thing, but luckily they will take place.

The competitions are Digital Dragons Indie Showcase and Pixel Awards Europe. And the deadlines are less than two weeks away (at least for the first one), meaning that I need to have the demo ready before that.

It means that the next devlog entry will surely be created after the next alpha goes live.

Here's brief info on what has changed since v0.2:

The shelter phase

Yeah, that's the biggest addition. If you were following my previous devlog entries, you know that the design of the shelter phase has gone through a major rework. Between each combat mission, player characters stay in a shelter. Here they can craft some stuff, heal themselves, or perform other actions. Also, here the player needs to distribute the food supplies.

Stress

Each character has a stress meter. It goes up when a character is hit, it goes down when you kill enemies, heal yourself or rest in the shelter. Too high stress gives negative modifiers to a character, and increases the possibility of receiving a negative quirk.

Better combat visuals

There are new obstacle types available, some of them being searchable. The combat levels have been re-made to use the new obstacle types. Few character animations have been tweaked.

I am currently working on creating a new trailer and I'm playtesting the demo a lot. Also, I will be in need of a Steam demo for the Digital Dragons Indie Showcase 2020, meaning that the next thing right after I release the next demo will be making sure that it is available directly on Steam.

That's it for now. Expect the demo to be released in the upcoming days!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »

Ok, let's keep this one short. I've released the 0.3 alpha demo of the game.

You can grab it on itch.io already, and the Steam version of the demo should be available in the near future as well.

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Also, here's the v0.3 trailer I made. Enjoy!

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2020, 12:56:23 PM »

Ok, let's keep this one short. I've released the 0.3 alpha demo of the game.

You can grab it on itch.io already, and the Steam version of the demo should be available in the near future as well.

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Also, here's the v0.3 trailer I made. Enjoy!

You have a gift regarding your trailer (marketing vise) in your personal messages

post more updates, I had to search for your topic like a maniac Smiley))

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 12:08:15 AM by Ramos » Logged

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 28, 2020, 12:43:57 PM »

Alright, so I released 0.3 alpha demo of Shardpunk on Steam as well!

I already received far bigger traffic on Steam than I got on itch.io up to this point.

Also, I got some interesting user comments on different aspects of the game that I will be - as always - addressing and, in some cases, describing in detail in separate blog posts.

I did start working on new game features, but I want to focus on something different this time - demo gameplay tips.

Basically, I received some feedback that the game is still difficult to play. It might be that some of you did encounter unfair enemy distribution. However, I believe that there is a number of guidelines that one can follow to maximize the chance of winning.

First, here's a gameplay video of a single, full 0.3 version run:

Every character reaches the shelter alive, and I am able to collect 4 pieces of food to keep them alive through the night.

Here's a set of best practices for 0.3 alpha demo of Shardpunk.

Stay together

It does not make any sense to split your team. To avoid cutting one of your characters off from the main group, stay close. This will also allow you to heal each other if required.

Well, the ranger can manage on his own (but stay together if possible!)

Rangers have the "multi-overwatch" ability that allows them to fire up to 3 reaction shots (depending on their weapon heat level). This should allow them to stay clear from melee enemies for a little longer.

Don't prioritize the loot

You will have plenty of opportunities to grab that loot. Focus on killing the rats first.

Don't be afraid of using explosives

Yeah, grenades attract more vermin. On the other hand, they allow you to clear lots of them at once (especially as I tweaked the grenades so that they deal minimum 3 damage, which insta-kills the machinegun rats).

Combat suit is your best friend

The soldier has a lot of useful abilities (some players report it as overpowered). Ground slam and combat suit boost both allow you to deal nice AOE damage, causing multiple kills.

Bring down rat commanders ASAP

These rats (the red ones, wielding a banner) have good accuracy and can throw a grenade. You should prioritize killing them.

Don't' forget about that fusion core!

A Fusion Core is required to open up the exit door - without it, you are unable to complete the mission. I am pretty sure I will be changing this behavior (or at least extending it) so that the players have other options.

Leave me some feedback

No matter whether you manage to get through the demo or not, do leave me feedback in any shape or form - feedback is what I need to keep making the game better.

Have a great day!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2020, 01:44:57 AM »

You have a gift regarding your trailer (marketing vise) in your personal messages

post more updates, I had to search for your topic like a maniac Smiley))

Thanks! I will still stick to bi-weekly updates. Creating each devlog entry does take time, that I don't have at the moment.

BUT! This will hopefully change later this year. We'll see how it goes.

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »

Welcome to the next entry of the bi-weekly devlog of Shardpunk! Despite the start of a new school year (we have two children - aged 8 and 10) I managed to spend some time on the game, pushing it a little bit closer to the next release.

The next demo will be named "Map + XP", although gaining experience and map travel won't be the only new things present in the game.

Anyway, I spent some time working on the experience gain mechanism. Here's what I got so far:

Characters gain experience points after each combat mission. Each survivor receives a number of XP just for surviving. Extra points can be received by killing more enemies or healing yourself/others during combat.

When reaching a new level, characters gain a Skill Point that can be used to unlock skills.

(you do see that a lot of icons is missing at the moment)

I did a major rework of the skills/traits system, and separated ones from the others. I've ended up with:

Class-specific unlockable skills (example: "sword slash" skill which is only available for rogues). These skills have level requirements, and will always appear in the same place in the skills tree.

Universal unlockable skills: they also have level requirements, but can appear for every character. Example: "hard to hit", which makes it more difficult to become hit with reaction fire.

It is possible for a skill to be universal, but also be present in the "fixed" skill tree - of course for different classes, as it would not make much sense for a skill to appear twice for the same character.

Next, we have traits. These can be either positive or negative, cannot be unlocked (they're pre-rolled for a character), and some of them are only obtainable when the stress level is too high.

So for the XP, I have the core mechanism in place. Obviously, the skills will change as new gameplay mechanics will be introduced. Also, right now the UI only shows stuff up to the 3rd level (level 4 is a placeholder). Depending on the length of the game, the level cap will vary.

Besides the XP stuff, I spent some time tweaking the UI in general, making sure it is more readable. Here's how the combat UI looks like:

As you can see I moved some stuff around, made the current character's stats more explicit, and moved the weapon heat indicator closer. I've also un-cluttered the top parts of the screen (you can still toggle objectives and common inventory display).

The side details are now only about displaying the effective % to hit.

As for my future plans, I want to introduce some quality-of-life changes to the game (and change few systems, based on player feedback). Then I will be off to the map travel thing.

Take care, and have a great weekend!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »

Man, working on a game in one's spare time is difficult. Two weeks have passed from the previous blog entry and I only managed to spend ~15 hours in total of not-always-very-high-quality time working on the game.

However, this will change soon. I am taking a monthly leave from my day job in November and I will focus solely on developing Shardpunk in that period. This will allow me to see how I manage to cope with full-time development and what is my development speed when working at my full productivity.

Note that it will be a temporary change - meaning that I'll be back to part-time development in December. Still, with the experience from that full-time period, I will be able to define the game scope in a clearer way and set up a development plan - having that might help me find a publisher.

That being said, let's focus on the latest game changes!

I played around with the Stress mechanic a bit. First of all, I made sure that a character gets the "Stressed" trait (which gives some penalties) only if their Stress level is at maximum (it was a 50% threshold before that). I also introduced some random traits that make a character more/less stress-resistant by altering their maximum stress level:

These traits are randomly assigned to each character at the beginning of the game. And they're mutually exclusive, obviously.

Players now have a new way to reduce stress during battles - each character has the "Encourage" skill that lowers the Stress of a nearby ally.

Now, in order to make sure the players don't abuse that skill too much, it will have a long cooldown time (right now it is 5 turns, but it will surely be tweaked during the development). Obviously, players can still spend extra time during combat and reduce stress before going into the shelter, but due to longer wait times, it might not be the best solution - as the enemies will be swarming in all the time.

Oh, and I changed the way stimpaks handle stress. Previously using a stimpak would reduce your stress levels.

Some playtesters reported that they were using stimpaks only to reduce their stress level, as the aim penalty they got when the stress was too high was (literally, although not directly) killing them. So they used them even if their HPs were at maximum.

I didn't like where it was headed, so I made sure that using a stimpak actually increases your stress a little. This, combined with the "encourage" action and stress threshold increased to 100% should not make the game harder - and it will remove the stimpak stress reduction exploit.

I will end this blog entry here. Take care! And enjoy a new character model, the female ranger:

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2020, 11:35:22 AM »

OK, so I had a little less time working on Shardpunk for the last two weeks as I managed to get myself sick. Luckily, I already recovered.

Here's some update on the progress. Let's start with the stuff I did not describe completely the last time: the disappearing Hit Points feature.

When a character is injured during combat, they lose HP. These HPs can be "restored" by using an adrenaline injection. However, you're not really restoring them - they will be lost when you reach the shelter; you can then recover them during the shelter phase.

Now, this feature was already present in the existing demo. The problem was there was no indication that some of the HPs healed in combat will be lost after it ends, which few playtesters reported as confusing. Therefore, I added some visual cues: hit points that are "healed" during combat appear orange:

Also, the HP tooltip has been expanded to show all of this:

Speaking of visual cues, I tried removing the big magnifying glass icons from the loot points, leaving only the green tile highlight:

I believe this will make the screen less cluttered.

I am also trying to find a better style for some of the UI of the shelter phase. This is the latest iteration of the combat summary screen:

Now, I know that I need to stop spending time on tweaking the visuals and focus on the bigger picture: so adding map travel and different level types. Worry not - these things are in the works and I might be showing something more soon.

Thanks for reading!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2020, 12:13:42 PM »

I finally spent some time adding completely new content to the game. The next tech demo will be featuring two missions, each having different looks.

First, we have the sewer levels:

The biggest change in the implementation was that map tiles now can be animated (water and water edges). Also, the water tiles are the first tile types that are both transparent (so the players can see and shoot through them) and non-walkable. It does sound obvious but required some code changes.

Sewer levels have much more closed locations than the "industrial district streets" level had. This introduced some challenges when composing level fragments. Each level is being randomly generated from predefined fragments, and I needed to make sure that fragments stick together correctly. It was easier with open spaces as they were, well, open. Here, with corridors and narrow passages present, I had to be more clever.

I ended up adding metadata to each level fragment, holding information about valid connection points with neighboring fragments. For instance, the level below can handle both low and high connection from the right, and a high one from the left:

This allowed for maintaining the same semi-randomized nature of levels and making sure that there is always a valid movement path for the player.

I've also decided to create some interior levels for the industrial level types as well, now that I had this fragments' connection thing figured out. These look pretty cool as well:

That's it for this entry - see you in two weeks!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »

Hello - due to a major loss in my family due to COVID, I'm not feeling good about writing about new things and ideas for the game.

I did some development and playtesting lately though, and I'm attaching few nice screenshots - enjoy!

Glitchy death animations (character falling on water):

Character being surrounded pretty badly:

Ranger, shooting:

Another glitch: missing shelter door:

Rogue, shooting:

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2020, 01:12:52 AM »

Two weeks have passed; the show must go on. Here's the latest update on how things are going.

I took unpaid monthly leave in my day job for the whole of November. The goal was to see how fast I'll be able to progress with the game when working full-time hours; I needed this data to create reasonable estimates for creating Shardpunk.

You can imagine that I was pretty excited for November! And then, on November the 1st, my Mom died of COVID. This sucks, a lot.

Most of my full-time November enthusiasm was quickly gone. Still, I managed to work on Shardpunk - I had no day job anyway - and I have to say that I've seen a gigantic development speed bust when compared to my previous, "hobby" working hours. I mean it's a no-brainer - I literally am treating gamedev as a day job until the end of November.

Man, it might be difficult to go back to my old day job afterward - although I do love it as well.

Anyway, I managed to develop some new in-game systems, although most of them are not ready to be presented due to missing graphics. I decided to focus on this particular screenshot instead, as it is carrying lots of information about the progress:

Here's what we got here:

Map travel

This one is pretty obvious, as you can see the map. The player can select the next travel target which starts up a new mission. Map locations may come in different environment types (sewers, open/closed industrial locations). I am planning on adding map modifiers as well, which will increase the variety of levels.

What is more, you can see that only a limited number of locations has a shelter (the ones with a door icon) - it means that shelters will become more scarce. I am still playtesting how this change affects the general experience (as some actions - like curing Stress - were only available in Shelters, so more tweaks might be necessary).

Reduced inventory management

Initially (well, it is still present in v0.3) each character had an “inventory” with a max capacity. They could fit all different kinds of items there. There were two major issues with this approach:

1. The overburdened mechanics. If a character was carrying too much, they would be unable to move. The player had to shuffle the inventory - by dropping some unused items on the floor, and them passing them to another character. That was cumbersome and unnecessary.

2. Combat preparation screen was huge and it was another unnecessary thing. The player had to distribute the inventory between characters (as you cannot leave stuff in the shelter) before leaving the shelter, which simply resulted in distributing the stuff evenly anyway. It was an unnecessary chore:

Note that this screenshot only has 4 characters displayed. Imagine how cluttered the UI might get with 5 characters.

I decided to sacrifice some realism to make the gameplay more fluent: right now, only stuff usable during combat is a part of the character's inventory (so stimpaks and grenades). Other things became a part of a common inventory.

What is more, I removed the overburden mechanism. There is no limit of how many combat-related items can a character have. If you want to overuse grenades, you will be facing more enemies. If you abuse stimpaks, your stress will go up.

I've also merged the mission loadout screen with the map screen - which can be seen on the first screenshot.

New UI

The content of the UI was constantly changing, due to new features being added or old ones being altered/removed. This was resulting in the in-progress UI not looking very good - I was just putting stuff randomly, knowing that it is not possible to set up the final layout until all the features are there.

However, ugly temporary UI was reducing my morale, so I decided to create more simplistic one. Something inspired by the office applications I am working on in my spare time, but also by games like Star Renegades, Crying Suns or the upcoming Death Trash. They all are combining pixel art in-game graphics with higher-res (or simplistic) UI:

I ended up with the current simple UI and I am starting to like it. Here's how it looks in combat:

Weapons and add-ons

OK, this one cannot be seen on that initial map travel screenshot. However, I spent a lot of time developing this, so here's a glimpse of this new feature:

It will be possible to find weapons during your missions. Weapons will vary in stats, and will have upgrade slots that will allow you to adjust them even further. Still, character "classes" will be only limited to a certain weapon type.

Now, this feature will be a challenge as I want to visualize every different weapon model during combat. I already see a lot of fun in mechanic though - I believe it will be worth the effort!

That's it for this entry. The next one will appear in December, so after I'm back to my day job.

Ramos
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2020, 11:39:50 AM »

I love the fact you added a travel map. It brings a nice depth to the game.
I am also in the process of remaking my travel map mechanics.
Keep the updates flowing!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2020, 11:21:07 PM »

Impressive work you've done here. I've just noticed this devlog and only have a first impression. Seems like you have similar mechanics to Overland that I quite enjoyed. The inventory handling you describe reminded me of the pain of moving around objects between characters, so I am glad you have reduced that pain.

What I also did not like much was how damage was handled in Overland. Taking damage made the character weaker and I feel like the stress mechanic will do the same. I know it's realistic, but it was no fun for casual gameplay Smiley . I guess I was playing on easy as it was possible to restart the level, taking damage was an instant restart for me. This might also mean that allowing restarts was part of the problem, but I probably would not have finished the game without it.

Finding the right balance between frustration and motivation is a hard problem.

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2020, 11:33:10 PM »

Hey bryku. I am really sorry for your loss. Shardpunk is an outstanding project, keep up the great work!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »

Impressive work you've done here. I've just noticed this devlog and only have a first impression. Seems like you have similar mechanics to Overland that I quite enjoyed. The inventory handling you describe reminded me of the pain of moving around objects between characters, so I am glad you have reduced that pain.

Yeah, Overland is a great example of how some not-very-well design decisions can drag a game down (well, I don't know the sale numbers, but it still has mixed reviews, and not very many of them). I do recall people complaining about the inventory management there.

What I also did not like much was how damage was handled in Overland. Taking damage made the character weaker and I feel like the stress mechanic will do the same. I know it's realistic, but it was no fun for casual gameplay Smiley . I guess I was playing on easy as it was possible to restart the level, taking damage was an instant restart for me. This might also mean that allowing restarts was part of the problem, but I probably would not have finished the game without it.

Finding the right balance between frustration and motivation is a hard problem.

Yes, this has been reported to me by Shardpunk playtesters. A character becomes stressed due to taken damage/other things, and then the player is punished even more (as they receive a % to hit penalty). I know that I'll have to balance it out somehow.

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »

Maybe a short-term adrenaline boost (might be like your stimpack?) that increases stats would be nice. So take damage -> short term super human -> later stressed?

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2020, 12:31:05 AM »

Maybe a short-term adrenaline boost (might be like your stimpack?) that increases stats would be nice. So take damage -> short term super human -> later stressed?

Haha, yes, that was exactly the idea that came into my mind! Becoming stressed might grant you a negative quirk, but also provide you with a temporary positive boost instead of an aim penalty.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic