Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1403837 Posts in 68291 Topics- by 61956 Members - Latest Member: abakanking

December 06, 2022, 12:49:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[2022.03 demo released] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Author Topic: [2022.03 demo released] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)  (Read 49772 times)
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »

Here's the latest progress update on Shardpunk: I'm tweaking the in-game mechanics to improve the fun factor even more. Here's what I have for you in this entry:

UI changes

You can now access the tutorials - which have been rebranded as "Codex" - from the main game screen so that you don't have to open up the pause menu. The same happened to the unlocks screen.

Overwatch triggering indicator!

Yes! You will be able to see where the enemy overwatch reaction shots will get you.

Combat tactics

You will be able to discover combinations of actions during combat that will grant you special bonuses. I don't want to spoil them, so here's a screenshot of one of them being activated:

As you can see, this tactic is about performing two overwatch actions with characters who are standing next to each other. This grants you some accuracy boost. Things similar to these are hidden in the game, waiting to be uncovered (and then used frequently) by the player!

That's all for this entry. Take care! See you on the Discord server!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
Alain
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2022, 09:39:48 PM »

Awesome, great addition as always. I've always loved reading the UFOpedia in X-Com, is your codex "just" the turorials or do you also have flavor articles?

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2022, 09:51:20 AM »

Awesome, great addition as always. I've always loved reading the UFOpedia in X-Com, is your codex "just" the turorials or do you also have flavor articles?

I believe I'll store mechanic-related stuff there. Lore-specific stuff will be only present in short character texts during combat/shelter phases. I'm not into creating lots of extensive lore entries, so such an approach fits suits me perfectly Smiley

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »

Another round of Shardpunk playtests is currently in progress. I am gathering lots of feedback. This is awesome.

Such an iterative approach is one of the key things that get me going. Developing a game as a solo programmer does leave a mark on my sanity, but feedback from people who found the game interesting gives me hope that pushing all the way to the finish line makes sense.

Instead of writing about new features, here are some gameplay gifs from one of my test playthroughs:

Have a great day everyone!

failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 26, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »

Looking good!

You may defeat me today but I will return stronger tomorrow.
Alain
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2022, 09:33:45 PM »

Awesome, I'm glad to hear the playtests are going well and are also helping your sanity Wink The game is getting more and more refined and I see a lot of things have changed since I played!

mobilelast
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2022, 06:23:06 AM »

I feel you. Soloing anything is a lonely process, and without proper feedback it’s just aimless wandering in the dark. But great to hear that things are progressing.

I actually ended up making a (local multiplayer) party game mainly because of the test sessions. Fridge full of beer, table full of pizza or whatever; nothing official, just playing and chatting. Each session has left me with a handful of tasks that I’ve never come to think of myself. Recently I’ve had scheduling problems with these sessions, which has immediately slowed down the development process.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic