Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:58:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: [RELEASED] Shardpunk: Verminfall (xcom/darkest dungeon/steampunk)  (Read 73319 times)
bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2022, 11:07:37 AM »

Here's the latest progress update on Shardpunk: I'm tweaking the in-game mechanics to improve the fun factor even more. Here's what I have for you in this entry:

UI changes

You can now access the tutorials - which have been rebranded as "Codex" - from the main game screen so that you don't have to open up the pause menu. The same happened to the unlocks screen.

Overwatch triggering indicator!

Yes! You will be able to see where the enemy overwatch reaction shots will get you.

Combat tactics

You will be able to discover combinations of actions during combat that will grant you special bonuses. I don't want to spoil them, so here's a screenshot of one of them being activated:

As you can see, this tactic is about performing two overwatch actions with characters who are standing next to each other. This grants you some accuracy boost. Things similar to these are hidden in the game, waiting to be uncovered (and then used frequently) by the player!

That's all for this entry. Take care! See you on the Discord server!

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

Devlog | Twitter | Webpage
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: November 13, 2022, 09:39:48 PM »

Awesome, great addition as always. I've always loved reading the UFOpedia in X-Com, is your codex "just" the turorials or do you also have flavor articles?

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2022, 09:51:20 AM »

Awesome, great addition as always. I've always loved reading the UFOpedia in X-Com, is your codex "just" the turorials or do you also have flavor articles?

I believe I'll store mechanic-related stuff there. Lore-specific stuff will be only present in short character texts during combat/shelter phases. I'm not into creating lots of extensive lore entries, so such an approach fits suits me perfectly Smiley

Busy working on xcom-like, steampunk/vermintide pixel art strategy game called "Shardpunk".

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: November 25, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »

Another round of Shardpunk playtests is currently in progress. I am gathering lots of feedback. This is awesome.

Such an iterative approach is one of the key things that get me going. Developing a game as a solo programmer does leave a mark on my sanity, but feedback from people who found the game interesting gives me hope that pushing all the way to the finish line makes sense.

Instead of writing about new features, here are some gameplay gifs from one of my test playthroughs:

Have a great day everyone!

failbetter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 26, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »

Looking good!

You may defeat me today but I will return stronger tomorrow.
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: November 27, 2022, 09:33:45 PM »

Awesome, I'm glad to hear the playtests are going well and are also helping your sanity Wink The game is getting more and more refined and I see a lot of things have changed since I played!

mobilelast
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: December 03, 2022, 06:23:06 AM »

I feel you. Soloing anything is a lonely process, and without proper feedback it’s just aimless wandering in the dark. But great to hear that things are progressing.

I actually ended up making a (local multiplayer) party game mainly because of the test sessions. Fridge full of beer, table full of pizza or whatever; nothing official, just playing and chatting. Each session has left me with a handful of tasks that I’ve never come to think of myself. Recently I’ve had scheduling problems with these sessions, which has immediately slowed down the development process.

Avaruustaistelupeli (ATP) - a space combat game
- Free download from itch.io or IndieDB
- Dev diary here
Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: December 18, 2022, 08:42:43 AM »

Your creation is almost complete, I am very hyped to see the results of the release

Gentleman

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: December 31, 2022, 06:48:54 AM »

This year I learned what it means to finish creating a game. The last months have been insanely rich in lots of playtesting and iterating on some of the game rules/design.

Just as you believe that the game is done-done, there are some new suggestions/issues that should be addressed before the release. And I'm not even talking about the good old scope creep, as it's often not a case of "I need to add more playable characters" thing, but more of a "this character needs rebalancing, and this mechanic could be made more meaningful".

This is how games are made. Their core goal is to entertain, and I am lucky enough to have people around the game that are constantly giving me feedback on how to improve the product. This is great, and I'm extremely joyful because of it. The game is in its best form since, well, ever!

Currently, Shardpunk is undergoing the process of transitioning from "done" to "shippable". I cannot wait to join the ranks of indie developers who actually managed to ship their first game as a commercial product!

With the release date scheduled for Q1 2023, it won't be long before Shardpunk will be publicly available. I mean we're still talking about a few months - but as I am working on the game for a few years already, that's literally nothing.

2023 will be a good year, and I wish all of you the best! May all your wishes come true! Take care!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: January 01, 2023, 10:29:25 PM »

It's so exciting you are going to release not too far in the future! Can't wait to hear how it goes, but I am sure it will go great!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: January 02, 2023, 05:39:10 AM »

It's so exciting you are going to release not too far in the future! Can't wait to hear how it goes, but I am sure it will go great!

You can't imagine how stressed I am starting to be. I can't wrap my head around how many copies could sell, what the general reception will be, and how it will translate to revenue.

Well, all will become clear after the game hits the market.

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: January 03, 2023, 09:35:37 AM »

Wow, congrats and good luck! I love to see long-time TIG devlog projects make it all the way!  Kiss

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2023, 01:48:06 PM »

Ah, feedback loops. Everyone in the IT industry knows that one of the crucial things when creating software is to keep these loops short. You really want to know what the end users think about your product.

This is even more important when creating a game. After all, there are no user requirements that came from the customer. I mean the players will have some expectations (if it's an XCOM-like title, they won't expect dynamic, real-time battles... or at least I hope so), but the main requirement is that the game should be simply fun to play.

(Shooting rats is fun! Though they sometimes fight back)
(I mean it was really the rats who started the fight, so it's the player who is fighting back)

And because it's not really easy (maybe even impossible) to define what "fun" is, iterating becomes the most important part of the game creation process. And I'm happy that I have a great community of playtesters that give me lots of awesome feedback!

Recently I've decided to take a closer look at feedback regarding the shelter phase, and I found some very interesting observations there. Here's what a shelter phase looked like in one of the older builds:

As you can see, there were shelter actions available at the bottom. The player was also able to hover their cursor above different things, and for some of them, a text near the mouse cursor was displayed.

When the player clicked something on the screen, two different things could happen:

if it was a lore-only prop, a short character message was displayed:

If it was something related to an action, a proper action button would become highlighted at the bottom. This also included characters - when you clicked on them, the "heal" action would become highlighted:

It turned out that players were getting confused when they first entered the shelter. The most common issues were that:

a) they didn't know that it was possible/necessary to change the active character to see different actions,

and

b) they thought that the whole phase has a point'n'click interface, and action buttons at the bottom are redundant, as all stuff could be reached by just clicking on different parts of the shelter.

Clicking on a character with LMB (so a legit way of switching characters during combat) was not working here (RMB was working, but it was counterintuitive). Also, seeing all the healing actions for every character all the time was implying that the actions menu indeed holds all the possible actions and that they don't depend on the currently selected character.

As a solution, I changed the approach to the shelter healing actions. Previously, every character had the possibility to heal every other character. Now I've made sure that only one "heal" action is visible at a time, and that it belongs to the currently selected character.

The other thing I changed (and it was slightly heartbreaking) was removing the mouse-clicking-on-screen thing completely. There are no more mouse hover texts over shelter objects. The only way to interact with the actions is by using the buttons. Yes, I had to sacrifice some of the coolness of clicking through shelter elements; on the other hand, that feature would not be available on a console port (assuming it will become a thing), as there'd be no mouse cursor there.

These changes helped make the shelter UI more readable, and that was confirmed during recent playtests.

Feedback loops are awesome. Still, the biggest piece of feedback that I'll receive will come from all the people who will try out the full game after it releases. And that's gonna happen in the nearest future. I am extremely thrilled (and scared) because of that!

OK, this post is long enough, so I'm gonna wrap it up already. Take care, have a great day, and do join me on the Discord channel!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2023, 11:02:43 AM »

Thanks for the in-depth view on your feedback process. I could not agree more, feedback is crucial. It happens so frequently that I think a feature is self-explanatory to then find out it is not at all when watching somebody play. I'm hyped for your release!!!

Ramos
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2023, 08:46:02 AM »

The other thing I changed (and it was slightly heartbreaking) was removing the mouse-clicking-on-screen thing completely.

I understand and I agree

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2023, 02:14:52 PM »

Different games have different entry levels. Some of them do not require much knowledge from a player, meaning that even a less-experienced person might play them with little to no introduction to game rules (think platformers, mobile stuff). These games are perfect for public showcases at, say, gaming expos, as you can basically get anyone to sit and insta-play it.

Shardpunk, on the other hand, needs some more introduction. I mean it's not a genre-defining title, but it does deviate from XCOM-like games. So it does need a tutorial - and one that guides the player through their initial actions, explaining the rules.

Long story short, I've added such a tutorial to Shardpunk.

It guides the player through the first few turns, teaching them the basics of combat, looting, and other useful stuff.

This rat shotgunner from tutorial should always relocate itself to the same place and reload its weapon.

After a few turns, the game opens up. And then there's another tutorial part when the player enters the shelter

Furthermore, I made sure that this tutorial (in a slightly changed form) is present in the new demo that I am working on - so you will be able to give it a spin in the nearest future!

Take care!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2023, 09:54:01 PM »

Awesome, I'm sure the tutorial level is a great addition!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »

The most recent Next Fest was an incredible experience, and I found myself spending countless hours engrossed in various demos. Despite the time commitment, I have no regrets - it's clear that we are living in a golden age for gamers.

However, it's important to acknowledge that indie developers face unique challenges in this market, where competition is fierce and standing out is essential.

On a positive note, I'm thrilled to see that Shardpunk has gained some much-needed visibility, resulting in an increase in wishlists. Additionally, there have been several engaging discussions on Steam forums about the game. It's been incredibly rewarding to see the positive reception the demo has received thus far, as reflected in the demo surveys. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the game's current standing.

Anyway, as the release date approaches, my focus has shifted to polishing, playtesting, and addressing any technical issues that need to be resolved. It's a busy time, but also an exciting one, as I prepare to share the final product with you.

As a sneak peek, I've included a few new gameplay gifs from my latest playthrough for you to enjoy. I hope they provide a glimpse into the world of the game and get you as excited for its release as I am!

Take care!

Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2023, 10:07:22 PM »

Awesome, I'm glad to hear the Steam Next fest went so well for you!

bryku
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2023, 04:52:16 AM »

Wow. Shardpunk is set to release next month. I can't express how thrilling it is to be nearing the finish line. Although, I must acknowledge that the game's release is more like a checkpoint, as there's still work to be done even after it's out.

I recently had a blast testing Shardpunk on the "hard" difficulty. I am pretty good at the game and enjoy a good challenge. However, I do believe that a challenge should be fair. Or maybe: it should feel fair, even if it isn't objectively so.

During my playthrough, I faced a tough decision when I had to use my only Fusion Core to revive a downed character, leaving me without backup.

Fusion Cores can be used to perform self-revive actions on characters

Soon after, I was overwhelmed by vermin and had to regroup while waiting for skill cooldowns to expire.

Katana Combo skill is a game-changer, eh?

Unfortunately, I've also decided to move my automaton out of cover in a bold move to stun the enemies. This proved to be a rookie mistake. The enemy took advantage of it and focused their fire, resulting in the automaton being downed. Unfortunately, I was out of Fusion Cores, which are the only items that can revive a downed automaton in combat.

A downed automaton - a sight that no player wants to see.

As I searched through the unexplored loot points for a backup Fusion Core, I hoped that the game would be "fair" and provide me with one. However, luck was not on my side, and I lost the run.

I started wondering if the game could be more forgiving in certain scenarios. For instance, imagine if the probability of finding a Fusion Core increased if the player has none left and the automaton is shutting down.

Similarly, what if the game allowed the player to find at least one stimpak when searching through stuff during combat if there were no more stimpaks left, and someone was already bleeding out?

Would these scenarios be exploited by the player? Would the player start playing carelessly because they would know that the game will save them when they're in trouble? Probably not, as long as I would introduce some kind of randomness to it - meaning that this mechanism would not give you 100% success chance of finding a useful item, but, say, 75%.

I will definitely put that in the game and see how it works. And if you have any comments on that, do let me know - either here, or on the game's Discord channel!

Take care!

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic